Event and Contest Suggestions

Exciting events and activities.

Event and Contest Suggestions

Postby Em » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 pm

This is a way for members to stay involved in the community!

If you have a suggestion for an event or a contest, please post it here, in as much detail or as little as you'd like.
Av by Hollay

Please do not PM Em for any reason; contact any of the other moderators instead!
Em
Super Star
Super Star

Diamonds on hand: 500.00

Postby gauche » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:37 pm

I was just staring at the amazing collaboration done on pixelation for this piece of art.

Click here for entire process and concept.

I keep thinking how exciting it would be to have a mini challenge/project here in Glam based on that concept. These are just very rough sketchy ideas that might or might not work.
I understand we're not exactly a very pixel art community and hence all these suggestions, if they will actually be used, will have templates.

Long Red Carpet
This end product will probably be a super long red carpet. What will happen is, a rough outline of how the scene looks like will be given -- a black outline of the red carpet, the paparazzi silhouettes, the limo at the end etc -- this outline is just to ensure everything flows well. The outline will then be divided into "grids", most likely enough space for a doll.

There will be a default base that you can use, but you can obviously make a baseless doll as long as it somehow blends well with the default base. Each person will then reserve and work on a grid each, immediately posting up their finished piece. Everyone should always look at the updated dolls, to kinda blend your template to those beside you, hence ensuring that the entire piece flows nicely.

There will only be either 50 or less slots probably, to keep the piece small -- or somewhat small and that spots are fairly first come first serve? Whoever that does the challenge would get a kiss or some sort.

I think this because it incorporates dolls in general would suit the theme of the forum and our community. I was inspired by the Welcome gift given by the staff as well!

Long Limooo~
This is another idea that blue kinda roughed out to me so kudos to her. The idea would probably be a looongg stretched limo, very stylized looking, separated into segments. Probably by the car doors I'd think? Or the window segments?

These segments are yet another first come, first serve sorta -- so you reserve them and make your own edit. This limo however is mostly pixel work, you can however add a baseless doll to your segment, ensuring it flows well. Or you could add spray paint on the exterior of the limo, but then again, the person next to you would need to continue that and ensure everything is smooth.

This one suits the theme of the forum and actually encourages more pixel work aside from dolling.

(I'm hoping I visualized this concept appropriately, correct me if I'm wrong!)

----

Both ideas are a lot about team work, the grid is constantly being updated by someone who's in charge of the project. People need to constantly be updated with the grid as well so that their works flow as a complete piece.

The idea is to do a collaboration but make everything really look as if it's one piece of art, not separate pieces lumped together.
Hence the need for you to ensure smoothness from one template/grid to another.

Would anyone be willing to give this a shot?
I hope it's a reasonable and decent suggestion for the forum!

gauche
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 695.00

Postby Landen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Adding on to Gauche's idea, what if we encouraged neighbor members to get into contact with each other to further ensure smoothness between tiles? That way, a group of two or three or four members could pull together and create a larger image on their set of tiles.

Also, what if there was a fixed palette? That's more of a pixel art thing, but I'm just throwing that out there.

And another idea would be a sort of follow up to the welcoming event. What if members took the same base and dolled themselves as movie stars in disguise? Then they would send their dolls to a staff member instead of publicly posting, and we can all play a bit of a guessing game. OR, along those same lines, choose a few staff members, or just members in general, to play the hiding celebrities and then members would be able to guess from there who's who, not knowing who's participating.
Av Base

TALK KIRK TO ME
Landen
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 53.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby Miotas » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I think it would be awesome if we were assigned one base ((one with a lot of poses like Zipple's bases)) and we each dolled ourselves as a celebrity at a big GLAM! Movie party. And once each doll is completed, they can be put together in a party scene mingling with each other or standing off to the side by themselves. I think it'd be a great way to get everyone to not only participate with each other, but it would also be a fun thing for every member to do that would be specific to the community.
I HAVEN'T BEEN IN HERE IN FIVE YEARS I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING
Miotas
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 649.00

Postby gauche » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 am

Landen; I completely agree with members having to contact each other. (To-Do List: need to say hi to you on MSN :lol:)
I don't think a fixed palette would work for dolls, but I do think it might actually be good to have -- since gif doesn't have a large color palette to work with. PNG might be better if it's a large image. We could use html to make a new page where each member is a separate scene though -- that way, the colors won't be hindered.

I like your idea of the guessing game thing, it might be fun to have a weekly guessing game thing; encourage more participation! Whoo~

Miotas, I do like the party scene as well, I think that might be fun. That could be a forum event for collaboration and such, and a team would be in charge to make their own party scene. I think that sounds fun :)
gauche
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 695.00

Postby mokia » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:00 am

Just based on the forum theme:
A large movie scene. A collection of groups would work on individual scenes of a movie. We could either make up the plot as we go or base it on a real movie. So like, group one would either do the title scene (if they prefer) or the very first scene, then the next group does what happens right after that scene, and so on. If there aren't enough groups we could start the rotation back over again until the movie is finished.
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,416.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Toodles » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Well, if we're sticking with the movie/hollywood theme here, I think it would be fun to do a 'Doll yourself as a character in a movie' type of thing. Or you could do groups and each group has a movie that they each doll themselves as one of the characters in one of the scenes.
Toodles
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 502.00
Avatar Base: http://teukie.deviantart.com/

Postby Asperque » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:40 pm

I like Toodle's idea of dolling yourself into a movie role, maybe doll yourself in the original role then make your own variation on it? Like those "Before and After' pictures and shows? Jazzin' up movie costumes and so one, with maybe (but not necessarily) at least simliar bases, then maybe make a magazine spread that's like the before and after pictures for a Glam! product or makeover shows?
[align=center]Image---------Image

Av Base l Sig made by wonderful Kittexx l Sig 2 Base[/align]
Asperque
Cast
Cast

Postby Kate » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:39 pm

On a theme somewhat unrelated to Hollywood (stereotypes always make me think Mean Girls...):

How about a yearbook? Only instead of a normal yearbook, it's more of a "clique" book. For example, groups of people would be assigned a stereotype, and they doll themselves as that stereotype. A small portrait base would work well for this; you would pixel as though it were a real school photo.

For example, smiling, facing forward, but with the doll's body facing slightly away. I figure a base would have to be made for this, but I personally wouldn't mind doing so. Each base could then be placed in a rectangle like real photos are, with the person's nickname underneath. Some people might doll themselves as nerds, jocks, preps, etc. I think it'd be fun!

Or, similarly, draw yourself how you looked in high school/look currently/think you will look in high school. Braces, pimples and all. It could end up being fun. :o
[align=center]Image[/align]
Kate
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby LadyHazy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 am

Hmm... I'm in a sly mood today and a sly idea came to mind.

How about we do an event based on what we normally discourage beginners from doing? Ever wondered if someone can pull off making pillow shading look beautiful? How about using "un-single thickness" lineart? Low contrast? Bright saturated colors? How bout a doll that uses the compression in .jpg files to its advantage?

Pretty much a challenge to tickle everyone's creativity instead of plain dolling. Not entirely sure if it's plausible, tho. XD
LadyHazy
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 47.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Kate » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Oh oh oh! I got another idea! (I'm just full of ideas lately!)

What about spies? Like, doll yourself as an old-style spy or PI or something like that? You know, those movies where it's like "When she walked into my office I swear the world stood still" sort of thing. You could even do it in groups, and assign roles for people to play, i.e. the P.I., the Blond Bombshell, the Jealous Boyfriend, etc etc. It fits with the movie theme, too, if you wanted to stick with that!

I love group projects. <3
[align=center]Image[/align]
Kate
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Pringle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:34 am

I took a look at the iso collab and LOVED it :O I was fab.... I think the block thing would be cool and we could make like the Hollywood hills or something
OR we could have a lineup of bases in a big scene, you could doll-up your reserved base and do a background which connects to the others (like the iso collab) They would be SOOOOO much fun (in my opinion :lol:)
[align=center]
http://road93.deviantart.com
[/align]
Pringle
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Kenly » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm

you know, i don't know why i've been on this kick lately, but... to stick with the theme of the forum, what if we broke into groups and did adult movie sets? XD i know, i know... but think about it. you could have the scene set up, and then see the people behind the scenes, too. like a zoom-out of the actual movie being filmed you know?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gigglebird by ME!
av base by Hollay
Kenly
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 727.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell

Postby ruby-red » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:09 am

i personally loves kates first idea =]

or we could do another collab and make a version of ourselves as stereotypical rockstars with microphones/guitars/big hair,bright colours etc and have a big stage with big jazzy writing saying "hollywood rockers" or something....some people could make dolls to be in the audience/music director
ruby-red
Stand-in
Stand-in

Postby BoB is cool » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 am

I got an idea the other day. I was thinking for those who have been at it for a while, to do a doll on their first base they ever made, or for the youngin's to do something baseless. It's a silly idea but i think kinda interesting.
[align=center]avbase
Deviantart[/align]
BoB is cool
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 570.00

Postby Hollay » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:40 pm

For example, smiling, facing forward, but with the doll's body facing slightly away. I figure a base would have to be made for this, but I personally wouldn't mind doing so. Each base could then be placed in a rectangle like real photos are, with the person's nickname underneath. Some people might doll themselves as nerds, jocks, preps, etc. I think it'd be fun!

Or, similarly, draw yourself how you looked in high school/look currently/think you will look in high school. Braces, pimples and all. It could end up being fun. Surprised

Call me crazy.. but after I did the yearbook for Eden.. I'm kind of sick of the portraits. lmao. I guess it was where I had to look at them for hours and hours on end while putting them up/saving/uploading them all. But, if there seems to be a lot of interest, we could probably swing one. :)
Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 1,094.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell
Avatar Base: Immaculate Conception

Postby blue » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:54 am

Please do some kinda halloween thing pleeeeeeeeeeeease? Maybe a one-shot, low commitment, contest? xD
[align=center]Image
Av is all mine || sig by Hollay, base by Wish04.[/align]
blue
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 810.00

Postby Copen » Sun May 09, 2010 8:58 pm

A Glam! Spirit week would be a nice idea where on each day of the week there's a different theme...
Copen
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 0.00

Re: Event and Contest Suggestions

Postby Serenity » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 pm

im with blue! we need something w/ a Halloween theme. oooo!!! maybe a Hollywood Halloween theme. Horror/Thriller movies and the like. could be a blast. doesn't have to be around Oct. either. makes it even more fun that way.

stalking... Hollay, Kenly
SIG base Shouri

if anyone knows my av base i would love the info. very only creation by my friend Meggie aka George

Serenity
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 614.00

Postby Veriria » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey there, I have a suggestion!

I would be more than willing (and honored!) if you'd like to use my Palace Chat server to host an event or contest of some sort. I could create rooms specifically for it, and since it is online 24/7 you could pick whatever day & time you choose. The software itself is also free to download and use, unlike other graphical chatting programs. It might be something nice & a bit different from the dollz chat that occurs on the deviantART website.
Veriria
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 599.00
AKA: Dolling heaven since '97

Postby LucyKitsch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:12 pm

I'd love to see an event where we make tiny versions of ourselves, our OCs or whomever for Hotel Glam.
It's been really inactive and I've not even gotten a room yet. Maybe this would help revive it?
I missed out on the one that was held a year or two ago, which really stinks, but I think something similar (maybe new year's related?) would be super fun. :)
- Lauren
Usernames I've Used: LaurenDouglasArt / LucyKitsch / BalanceWithIntention / TransmogrifiedLimn / AndSheCameAlive / LuneLyoness / OfTheFreckledKind / LaBellaMadre / PocketfulOfLove / TheSketchingVeg / LestYeBecome / EvolveTransform / LaurenDouglasCreates / LaurenDouglasCreative*

My DeviantArt
Avatar by me, base is a GLAM exclusive.

My laptop is finally working after not having worked for months, AND I'm pregnant, so sorry if you haven't seen / still may not see much of me for a while! :)
LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 540.00
Avatar Base: http://kar10sa.deviantart.com
Formerly: PocketfulOfLove

Postby H|F » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:51 pm

That's a cute idea Lauren!
Heather | Age 25 | AV base by Kakuzu Chan
BASE
Want to see where I started?
Spoiler: show

Bases by Wayuki

All of these are bases from The Doll Palace

H|F
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 314.00
AKA: The Black Sheep

Postby LucyKitsch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:46 am

Thank ya, love! :)
- Lauren
Usernames I've Used: LaurenDouglasArt / LucyKitsch / BalanceWithIntention / TransmogrifiedLimn / AndSheCameAlive / LuneLyoness / OfTheFreckledKind / LaBellaMadre / PocketfulOfLove / TheSketchingVeg / LestYeBecome / EvolveTransform / LaurenDouglasCreates / LaurenDouglasCreative*

My DeviantArt
Avatar by me, base is a GLAM exclusive.

My laptop is finally working after not having worked for months, AND I'm pregnant, so sorry if you haven't seen / still may not see much of me for a while! :)
LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 540.00
Avatar Base: http://kar10sa.deviantart.com
Formerly: PocketfulOfLove

Postby Consonanta » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:03 pm

I would be interested in a style swap in which members would create dolls/pixel art by imitating one another's styles; perhaps it could be based on a theme as well.
Consonanta
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 100.00
Formerly: Kiwi

Postby Gwen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Ooh I really like that idea! It would be challenging and a learning experience all in one.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 37.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Next