MDI round 2

Rehearsal topics that were too good to be buried!

MDI round 2

Postby xblack-catx458 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 pm

My entry for MDI round 2. She is from the Isle of Man. It is supposed to be a sort of norse/irish cross.
Base

All comments are appreciated, be as harsh as you want.

Thanks,
-Trix
xblack-catx458
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 500.00

Postby Raven-Hollow » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

I really like her, though something about the bottom of her dress doesn't look right... seems flat.
Avatar: AmyNatasha / Base: Hollay
Signature: Me / Base: M-onday
My DA
To Do List
Doll my OC?
Raven-Hollow
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 5,077.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Helyn » Thu May 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Very nice design.

The gold boob things just look weird, like they were glued there or something. I think you need to add some gold straps so that it looks like they're being held in place with them. Or lose them all together (but convert the danglies into a necklace, because they look cool and should be kept).

The other thing is that while the cape looks impressive, it also looks strange and inconsistent. The shading suggests that it is a thin material but the shape suggests that it is a thicker, stiff material. It doesn't look natural. Ideally you should make the cape shorter, since a cape trailing on the ground is practical, but that would destroy the artistic look. So I'd go with keeping the overall shape you've given it but bunch it up at the base so that it looks the cape is clumped on the ground (if that makes sense?). That should hopefully give it a more natural look.
The cloak should also meet at the neck. It just looks a bit odd like that and is just asking to fall off if she takes a step or if it gets windy.
The pattern also doesn't quite go with the shading. You need to add more shadows and highlights to it, as well as breaking up the lines so that it curves with the material.
Sig bases by Wayuki

DA account : Blog : Shelfari
Helyn
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 1,675.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: http://pyrochan-dolls.deviantart.com/

Postby WassupKiba » Fri May 07, 2010 4:41 pm

all the folds point down. o_o she has no movement even tho her hip is cocked? the cape on our left side wouldnt curve exactly the same as the right, since she isnt standing straight.
also, how is the cape staying on her shoulders?! honestly, it looks like you dolled the girl and pasted her ontop of the cape to me

hope this helps! good luck!
WassupKiba
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 1.00
AKA: BANZAAAIIIII
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby xblack-catx458 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:30 am

I got rid of the metal boob things (they just didn't look right) and made it more obvious that the inside of the cape was a different color and material.
And the horse tail sticks out... it would be great if y'all just ignore that.
xblack-catx458
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 500.00

Return to Rehearsal Vault