Steampunk Entry

Rehearsal topics that were too good to be buried!
batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Steampunk Entry

Post by batgirl » Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 am

So I do have a mentor but she is one of the judges for TSP so I can't really ask for her help on this.

bases

portrait (she's a finishing school etiquette teacher hence the glazed look on her face) - I would like help with the hair and the hat. the hair is lifeless, but it's supposed to be pulled back. for the hat, Im unsure of the blue thing thats on there. its just a random piece of cloth base off this pic
http://www.mayahansen.com/fashion/websi ... l&lang=ENG (very last picture)
should I add something more to it???

fb - the shading is inspired by chewbroccoli's stuff. I like all of the folds she does. my problem with this is she's a time traveller and i dont know how to get that across. I can do the obligatory pocket watch, but anything else?

any other C+C that you see is welcome and encouraged ^^
by Mokia

chewbroccoli
Super star
Super star
AKA: Glam's Privately Contracted Assasin
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by chewbroccoli » Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 am

i really think that that's way better than my shading. xD
she's really great so far so i dunno why you're asking for help like you're flailing about.

there's only so much you can do with hair that's pulled back, to make it look like it's standing out. but the hat could be more flamboyant, like the fan-looking part could stick up further and fan around in a bigger semicircle. i'm not sure how you could make her look more like a time traveler. =/ oh and i also think that the full-body looks a little cross-eyed so be careful of that. xD
may the force be with you. always.

Damnliza
Super star
Super star
AKA: The Crazy Cat Lady

Post by Damnliza » Thu May 13, 2010 10:29 am

I really think she looks great, all of the shading is simply amazing. There's so many detail, I'm getting lost in this! ^^

I think U miss some lose strands of hair on the last one, maybe some long hanging strands will make it look more like the hair is pulled back?

And a suggestion for the time traveler thing: Since she travels time, maybe she would have some items from the future, or something? So maybe like a very modern watch or something`? Of course, this could also just be my crazy little opinion ^^ :3

she looks incredibly good, don't worry 'bout that.
.. ~ <3 ~ ..
Cute doll by Pinstripe!
Visit my DeviantArt

Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
AKA: Bree

Post by Dragyn » Thu May 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Psh. You clearly didn't read the front page recently >> We're allowed to help xD. And props are allowed so if you need to use a prop you may. (But I'm not allowed to give you help on getting the round theme across xD just shading and stuff).
Comparison of the two: FB is a little more cross eyed than the port. She has bangs/fringe in the FB but not in the Port? might help the ports hair. Maybe a fancy hair clip to show it's pulled back?
FB: There's a lot going on on that jacket and the same colors are making it all blend.
Port: That blue thing is too hard to see the shading. Try less shades with more contrast.

On the positives - I absolutely adore the Port's shirt and the FB's boots. :3

aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Post by aerieyena » Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm

The faces don't match. :|
The biggest thing that's making them different is the nose. If you lower the nostrils on the fullbody by one pixel it should do wonders. The fullbody looks a little crosseyed, too. An easy fix, so you don't have to redraw the eyes, would be to have her looking off to the side. The eye shape is slightly different between the portrait and the fb, I would suggest rounding the upper, outer corners of the eyes in the portrait.
The folds look great. :3
I own Atton Rand from KoTOR 2, Boy Blue from Fables, and Joker from Mass Effect. NO TOUCHY.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~

batgirl
Producer
Producer

Post by batgirl » Fri May 14, 2010 12:34 am

thanks everyone for the ideas and the C+C.

dragyn, what do you mean the colour on the jacket blends? which part?

aerieyana, thanks for the tips on the base editing. its the worst part for me lol
by Mokia

Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
AKA: Bree

Post by Dragyn » Fri May 14, 2010 10:09 am

The lining on the ... lapels? the part that opens xD it blends into the base color of the outside and confuses me.

batgirl
Producer
Producer

Post by batgirl » Sat May 15, 2010 1:39 am

its a fur trim ^^ lots of texture on this one. So what colour would be better for that? maybe make it a similar colour to the leather and not the tweedy grey? or black like the straps? must go and try and update
by Mokia

batgirl
Producer
Producer

Post by batgirl » Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 am

douuble post ><

updated - worked on everything you guys said and actually succeeded at some of it. still having problems with making the faces look similar. and the fur trim looked ghastly in every other colour. eeewwie. the watch is digital but unsure of how to get it more across then a lovely blue screen.
by Mokia

Return to “Rehearsal Vault”