Me, again.

Rehearsal topics that were too good to be buried!
FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Pixel

Me, again.

Post by FrizzKitty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 am

So, Round 2 entry for Apoc. I really need some shading help. I've done things a little different this time around, but my usual shading techniques have gotten me dinged a lot since I returned to dolling, and I really need help figuring out where I'm going wrong. Please, give me a hand figuring out what the issues are on this doll. Maybe my changes have made the shading that much better, but I doubt it.

I've got more to do on this doll, but before I spend more hours agonizing over the shading, I thought I'd get some outside opinions. Also, yes, I know, the hair doesn't match shading styles, but it needs to match the previous round, so the same shading style on it was a must.

Anyway, without further rambling (base is ILCK):

...Okay, seriously. I think I'm learning to hate Photobucket or something. Every time I want to post a doll here on Glam!, be it in Rehearsals or just Dolls, it shows up slightly zoomed in. I don't get it. =( Click the doll for the right size. I really hope this doesn't discourage folks from helping out.
Last edited by FrizzKitty on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Av by Ody. <3

Sissors
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by Sissors » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Okay, I have a few pointers for you:
1. don't outline the hairline! Even if you did that in the last round, don't do that! It makes it look like she's wearing a wig of some sort.
2. The outlines on the gun need to be much darker, and push it just slightly into a blue.
3. On everything but the hair, push the shadows darker! Contrast is your friend!
4. The pants look very purple. I wold go with more of a musty dark blue for the jeans.
5. On the shirt, I would push the shadows slightly blue and the highlights slightly yellow (hue shifting).
6. You want to put a shadow going under the clothes, so on the under-side of her arm and leg, sweep the shadow up.

Hope it helps! Good luck!
[align=center]There's a contest around here somewhere... hrmmmm..... Oh yah! I have a drag queen contest on my site! You should go look at it! NOW! And then, like, enter or something... >.>
AV Base by Blu[/align]

FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star

Post by FrizzKitty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Oops! I didn't intend for there to be an outline on the hair, that's just how it ended up. I'll fix that. Thank you!

And thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll take a shot at them. Maybe moving the gun into blue will allow for darker outlines on the gun, but there's no way to do that otherwise currently without using pure black, and I really try to avoid that. (My dad the gun-guy said that when he looked over my shoulder, so I've been playing around with it already.)
Av by Ody. <3

Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
AKA: Marly Oh-Oh-O's

Post by Marleaux » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 pm

I agree with sissors, more colored shadows :D

Also maybe binoculars on the ground for lookout? Or a telescope! Right now it seems very unbalanced and plainish.

As for the zooming you may have your browser zoom on. if you use Ctrl + and - it'll make things, texts,images bigger and smaller :D
My spawn

FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star

Post by FrizzKitty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Marly, I swear I am going to live with everything smaller than default. It's right, at minus one, with everything else skewed. Ah well. Gosh that's weird. Well, at least y'all can see it right. (Also, I never even thought to mess with that - it was only that image, the others didn't change at all, and it was always right on photobucket.)

There will actually be a cat in the image when it's done, I'm still working on that, but I'll see if I can work something else in too.

Here's what I've done with Sissors' change ideas. I've never done colored shadows in my whole life. O.O So I hope they turned out like you meant. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Thanks so much for the help so far. I just have no idea where to go with it otherwise.
Av by Ody. <3

Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Marleaux » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Oooh nice work on the shorts! My only other suggestion, I know it's cliche is a surgical mask for health safety XD But that's more to change the face up a bit...Or camo marks. Just ideas\o/ I also forgot to say: great work on the gun!
My spawn

FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star

Post by FrizzKitty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks! ^.^ I had a lot of help on the gun from my dad, he'd check over my shoulder every now and again to tell me what needed work. It amuses me.

I had been considering a mask, but I worried that it was piling on a little much. But I guess, then, it -is- the apocalypse. I'll throw one on there after I get back from dinner and see what I/y'all/dad think(s).
Av by Ody. <3

Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Post by Marleaux » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 pm

For clarification of whut I meant\o/
My spawn

FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star

Post by FrizzKitty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too, but it's always nice to know you're on the same page.
Av by Ody. <3

Sissors
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by Sissors » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:39 pm

What you've done so far looks REALLY nice! I LOVE the changes to the gun, and your hue shifting worked really well!
I also like the idea of the surgical mask!
[align=center]There's a contest around here somewhere... hrmmmm..... Oh yah! I have a drag queen contest on my site! You should go look at it! NOW! And then, like, enter or something... >.>
AV Base by Blu[/align]

FrizzKitty
Super star
Super star

Post by FrizzKitty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Okay, so. It took a lot longer to make the changes I wanted with summer life being so busy!

Here's where I'm at. Actually, I'm really content with where she's at right now, but that usually means there's something I'm missing.

Any thoughts?

Av by Ody. <3

Sissors
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by Sissors » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 pm

It looks great so far!

Maybe a little more contrast on the shoes? The greys seem to meld togeather a lot.
AV Base by Blu[/align]

stephaniemarie
Celebrity
Celebrity
Avatar Base: [url=http://mariiii.de/Mariiii[/url]

Post by stephaniemarie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:02 pm

She looks really good, the only thing i see is she doesnt have a shadow, and neither does her medical kit. but i wouldnt have noticed if the gun (in all of its awesomness) didnt already have a shadow :) still, Great work!
ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImageImage
<3StephanieMarie
<3Phoenix<3
Av by:theladywrath

click pics for the shops :)

Return to “Rehearsal Vault”