Hair problem. D:

Rehearsal topics that were too good to be buried!
MalevolentMask
Super star
Super star
AKA: Masked menace
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Demoncat

Hair problem. D:

Post by MalevolentMask » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm pretty happy with how this doll is coming out, but honestly i'm not sure how to do Sho's hair...i'm fairly used to complete slick backs but the thing that keeps throwing me off are those three strands at the top of his head... Does anyone know how in the world I should draw his hair? O.o"

Base credit: http://lazydays.shouri.com.ar/
[align=center]~My tumblr~My other art~[/align]

Vicky
Extra
Extra

Post by Vicky » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm

You mean the general shape of the hair? I'm assuming so since it looks like you know how to shade hair.

I don't normally do everything pictured, but to make it easier to explain, I rotated the head on the reference to get a better idea of how his hair looks when his head is straight up. It's not entirely accurate (gravity has an effect on hair when the head is faced down) but it makes the process a little easier.

Basically just find out what directions the hair is going in and try to emulate it onto your copy. Be aware of the part on the face as well as the texture/volume of the hair. My redlines (green lines, really) are a little too, uh, big, but it shows the basic idea.
One thing I notice on my own copy is that the pieces that are sticking up should be a little flatter once gravity is taken into consideration, but that's more of an artistic license than something that's absolutely dire and necessary.
[align=center]D:[/align]

MalevolentMask
Super star
Super star
AKA: Masked menace
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Demoncat

Post by MalevolentMask » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Wow thanks now I get what you mean, I think i'll be able to properly draw it now thanks. XD
[align=center]~My tumblr~My other art~[/align]

Return to “Rehearsal Vault”