Kimono help

Rehearsal topics that were too good to be buried!
Mai
Celebrity
Celebrity
Avatar Base: http://maiandra.deviantart.com/

Kimono help

Post by Mai » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Base- http://www.watermelon-bubblegum.co.uk/

So it's been a while since I've made a doll in a kimono, and on such a large (IMO) base, I have not a clue on how I'm supposed to shade the thing. Also, the sleeve on our right looks off (which is why I didn't put the stripe on) The bottom of the doll needs shoes.. but I don't want to do the cliche wooden sandals/sandals with white stockings that I find on the costume sites. It will have a flower type pattern on the outfit, but... it's looking really plain as is and I think it needs a lot more details. Can't think of any though, which is one of the reasons I'm putting it up for C/C.

engine
Cast
Cast
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by engine » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 am

Okay, hope you don't mind redlines!!

First off, this is a great base with a great pose, and you've got a great start to an outfit. Short kimono are ADORABLE! <3 I have complete faith that you'll be able to execute this doll really well.

As for C/C, I think the first thing you should do is look up some references. Short kimono are actually really popular in Japan these days among young women, so you should be able to find good references easily. On the flip side, I know you mentioned looking at costume sites--so if you're going for that cheaper, thinner fabric, let me know, because this will change my C/C!

The second thing you probably need to do is mark in where you're going to put folds. Right now your dress looks really flat and plastic like. Remember how gravity affects the dress--this is what's holding you up on the sleeves. Right now neither sleeve is really affected by gravity or how the body moves. And because of this, you actually have two different sleeve lengths! Kimono silk is pretty thick, so it bunches in big folds, and doesn't have much give to it, so when an arm is outstretched, the fabric really resists. That's kind of what I'm attempting to show with my redline, see? As for the other sleeve, it's going to bunch up around her elbow and wrist, because that's where the body is disrupting gravity's pull on the fabric. The end of the sleeve is going to fall down straight, whereas you have it bending strangely behind her hip.

The obi is also a little odd. Right now it doesn't look like a separate piece of fabric. But obi are thick, heavy, and wrap around your waist like 8 billion times! So it's going to sit around her waist pretty obviously. (Like I said though, if you're not going for an authentic look, and are doing more of an 'inspired by' kimono, let me know! That will definitely change how the obi sits around her waist.)

Her neck line and skirt are also a little odd. Right now, her neck line kind of sits against her shoulders, which is not how kimono are cut: instead, the neck line should WRAP AROUND the neck. This is part of the reason why geisha were considered so sexual: their kimono shows off their neck and part of their trapezius, which was very alluring for men. As for her skirt, right now it looks a bit like she's wearing tulle or something under it! Kimono skirts don't really flare out, so I just changed that a little. However, if you WANT it to flare out, don't mind me-- it could actually be a really cute change.

Regarding her feet, you need to keep in mind how the base's feet are positioned. Right now, they definitely look like she's meant to wear heels. Maybe she should be wearing some cute heels instead of geta; then she can be super fashion forward in her kimono.

Once you've got all the folds in and the fabric falling the way it should, you'll be surprised how obvious the shading will be; just pick a light source and go for it. :D I can't really help you more than that until you've got some shading it place. It's much easier to point out how to make something better than how to do something from scratch.

Gah, this ended up being way longer than I meant! Hope it helps, though~!

Mai
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by Mai » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:58 pm

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9331/1337a.jpg

This is the actual costume I had in mind. It looks to be made of really cheap silkish cloth, however I've never actually tried it on to see how well it hangs.

For shoes.. I was thinking either of these would be ok.. but if I go with the pink ones it might add too much pink into the doll.

engine
Cast
Cast

Post by engine » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Oooo! IN THAT CASE pay no attention to my ramblings about kimono silk. XD I think a lot of the info still applies, although you'll want to take another look at how the sleeves fall... unless you don't want to copy the reference exactly? I can do another redline if you'd like! (And ramble more, it's par for the course.)

I LOVE those pink shoes. If you're unsure about the color you can always change it! I'd bet those would be rockin' in black. :D

OneSmartChicken
Super star
Super star
AKA: Two Piece Chicken Suit
Avatar Base: http://ubiique.deviantart.com/

Post by OneSmartChicken » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:39 am

My head hurts too much for something longer/more useful/explanatory etc etc.

Hope this helps. I'mma go take some meds. ><
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
I'm collecting chicken things. Indeed.

Glam. Kssh. Ksssh. I am your rooster. Kssh. Kssh. Join me kssh on the feather side. -Darth Rooster

Mai
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by Mai » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Updated! Added the shoes, nail polish and eyeshadow, did the hair (need details for teh hair band though, so it's not quite done) and added a few pieces of jewelery as accents.

engine
Cast
Cast

Post by engine » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 am

Oooo looking nice! I adore those shooooeees! <3 Her makeup is looking fantastic and you've got a really nice start to the accessories.

I assumed you're still a little stuck on how to shade, so I did a quick little redline.

I wasn't sure what your light source was, so I picked one for you. XD After you've decided a light source, shading it really all about following the body: where there are joints there will be creases, and where there is loose fabric there will be creases, and where fabric is being pulled there will be creases. Obviously don't follow what I did exactly, and there are probably a lot of little things about how I shaded it that will change as you fiddle with it, but I think this could be a good start? :D

Return to “Rehearsal Vault”