Chitter Chatter: books

Chatter about anything and everything.

Chitter Chatter: books

Postby Phoenigette » Tue May 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Not specifically to discuss your favorite books, though you're more than welcome. This is more to talk about what you're reading that's good, bad, ugly or whatever else. Because why not.

*copied from chitter chatter because i said so*

Blackfyre wrote:
MelianAlcarime wrote:Don't worry; I'm not judging anyone or anything. I just feel like I missed out on a couple years of friendships I could have had, so I'm trying to get some background so that I can step in now.

Is the book good? I haven't actually heard of it but I'm always happy to pick up a new series.

Aww I totally understand, I'm sure you'll be all caught up in no time! We're easy going and friendly here B) I can't speak for anyone else but I'm always down for more friends.

And yessss for sure!! <3 The Farseer series is actually the first trilogy, and I could never have another favorite book series after that one. It blew all of my previous favorites out of the water! The second trilogy is Tawny Man, the third is Fool's Assassin (which the third/final book is the one I'm currently reading). All of the series are really sad in some parts but really worth it, that I can assure you. I will say the third trilogy is reaaaaaaally slow to pick up though because originally she wasn't going to write another trilogy, but it gets really good by the end of the first/second book. I could go on all day so I'll stop there, but if you ever read it I'll be super excited to know more people that have read it. I recommend it to like... everyone I've met lmao.

mokia_sinhall wrote:Also, anyone read any Brandon Sanderson?

@ Gwen - I keep running into Robin Hobb but never picked it up, so I should get on that.

@Mokia - I haven't, but his website is great! Recommends which of his books to read which is super helpful.

Also I'm two books behind on Patricia Briggs' Mercy series and that's just ridiculous. I need to go book shopping.

Has anyone read Ben Aaronovitch "Midnight Riot"?
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 15,736.00
AKA: Batty's Slave
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Chitter Chatter: books

Postby MelianAlcarime » Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm

I can't say that I have. I'm currently re-reading the first couple books in the Anita Blake series (back before they became shameless smut) :p.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MelianAlcarime
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 994.00

Postby ElfMaiden » Wed May 17, 2017 1:02 am

Brandon Sanderson, Robin Hobb, and Patricia Briggs are all authors that I've heard good things about and have been intending to read some books by, but I've not got around to it yet. Any specific book recommendations from people here? Good places to start?

I've been working my way through the Cadfael Chronicles by Edith Pargeter (under Ellis Peters). For some reason I've been on a bit of a mystery kick lately, so stories about a crime solving monk in the 12th century are just the thing. I just finished book nine, so there are still eleven to go if I'm to read them all, which I probably will. My only complaint would be that it seems there's some manner of romance thread in every plot, but, well, that's a pretty typical complaint in books. I'd not have much to read if I couldn't get past that.

I'm also reading Master of the House of Darts by Aliette de Bodard, still with the mystery thing; this is the third book in the Obsidian and Blood trilogy, which is set in a somewhat fantastical version of the Aztec Empire (as in, historical with magic and so forth), and focuses on the High Priest of the Dead. I'm enjoying the trilogy, and it's definitely a nice departure from my usual reading.

Other than those, I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire lately, and I've been gathering up and reading a lot of books by C.J. Cherryh because I somehow managed to not do that until the last couple of years.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 494.00
Avatar Base: http://bunnystick.com

Postby mokia_sinhall » Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 am

What I like about Brandon Sanderson is he comes up with some really interesting magic concepts. The Mistborn series for example, has a magic system based on ingesting or using different types of metals to perform certain types of magic (for example ingesting steel allows the user to push on nearby metals). Warbreaker on the other hand has a magic system based on "Breaths" that vastly affect how a person experiences things such as pitch, color perception, etc. These can be given to other people, and also used to animate inanimate objects (at the cost of the breaths and color in the surrounding areas)

If you want a stand alone I recommend Elantris. It's probably my favorite, even though a different series has my favorite character, this one is a good read I feel. Warbreaker was good too. That was the first one by him I read.

If you want to go hog-wild with a series, the Mistborn series is a total of 6 books. The first three are more medieval-ish and about the aftermath of when the good guy is supposed to stop the bad guy and doesn't. They've lived under the evil Lord Ruler for over a thousand years. Now a group of con artists and thieves band together to start a rebellion.

"From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, the Mistborn series is a heist story of political intrigue and magical, martial-arts action."

I like Mistborn cause it was has great plots twists and has my favorite character, Vin. BUT I did find the third book to be a very difficult read because it was very gloomy/depressing.

The last three books are set much later than the first three and are essentially steampunk. I mean look at these cover:
ImageImage

Anyway, it's basically steampunk policy drama with fun metal-based magic. It's very fun and you don't technically have to read the first three to read these three, but you are missing out if you don't.
mokia_sinhall
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,315.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Lex » Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 am

books!! i love books but i'm sadly not reading as much as i used to do. :c probably because of the whole depression thing and the fact that i don't have the energy to, like, do anything anymore

BUT i recently finished american gods by neil gaiman because i wanted to read it before i watched the tv-series. c: and i liked it! i mean it wasn't maybe as good as everyone else seems to think it is, but i really enjoyed the feeling and the concept of the book. (and also, i'm always here for stuff involving norse gods)

i'm not sure what to read now, but i have some half-read book lying around waiting, so i should probably finish one of them.
base

doll made by kat!
ImageImageImageImage
Lex
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 553.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Phoenigette » Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 am

@ElfMaiden: I suggest Moon Called, the first in the Mercy Series. The first three were solidly amazing and Iron Kissed is my favorite, but now she's starting to get into this-series-never-finishes territory.

@Mokia: I appreciate a good magic base, so I will definitely have to check that out!

I have been halfway through Dracula for maybe five years. I seriously need to bite the bullet and finish it. It's fascinating but very thoughtful.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 15,736.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Return to Tabloids