Anyone know a good place to go to for base palettes?

Chatter about anything and everything.
rise13eyond
Extra
Extra
Dolling Style: Tool

Anyone know a good place to go to for base palettes?

Post by rise13eyond » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with darker skin tones for bases. Putting them through foofers on my program doesn't quite cut it, and as hard as I try I can't seem to get my own palettes to work. I know there's plenty of bases that already have dark skin tones, but I don't want to just steal the palette right off another base. I'm sure there's something useful out there, but I don't really have the time to do that much searching.Hhelp me please!
The doller formerly known as Lolita

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Re: Anyone know a good place to go to for base palettes?

Post by Artzygrrl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Honestly, your best bet is probably to find some well-lit pictures of darker skinned people and steal some colors from the photos. That is what I do when I'm lost!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Parker
Director
Director

Re: Anyone know a good place to go to for base palettes?

Post by Parker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Since you tool, I'm assume you have access to a program with, at least, the brush tool. You can pick colours from pictures and blend/alter them with "Colour Balance" or "Hue/ Saturation". If you need a starting point, try looking for skin palettes in places like DA or Pinterest. These are some I found in a quick search:

1) Anime Skin Palette could be a good starting point. There are many similar options, but you can change and combine the different shades in each. Besides, each option has only four shades, which makes it more manageable.
2) Loco-Loser's palettes: a series of three tone palettes for different ethnicities. It covers African, Caucasian and Asian, with different options for each.
3) Skin Colour Swatches by deviantnep. This one is clearly aimed at digital painting, but like I said, consider playing with the colours a bit and see where that takes you.
4) A skin colour blend covering all possible colours in one big mess. It's a blend of all natural skin colours intended for users "to eye-drop anywhere on the chart to get a unique skin tone instead of getting stuck in the loop of “white, tan, dark”." It is definitely a whole new level, but it may be worth it.

5) Palette post at Pixel Joint. There are too many palettes in here and not all of them may be useful, but you could take a look and see if you find something.
5.1. This post has some skin palettes and also, right underneath those, a set of wood palettes that may also have some interesting colours, especially for very dark skin tones.
5.2. This other post contains an explanation about how the artist created his palette. It has some colours that could be used for skin, but mostly, it may have tips that you could follow to create your own.
There are also some posts with interesting mid-tones for a skin palette, so take a look at all the entries. You can also use the site's search option to find more palettes.
EDIT - 5.3. This post contains an interesting tip for dark colours: "a technique for nice, natural color ramps that I'm recently using, is to spice up the colors simply by putting some 10% opacity fill of (full!) blue, magenta, red and yellow, from dark to bright, the result then (because of the full tones) looks very comic-ish, (sometimes thats nice too...)". So maybe try some of the colours in the links above and try adding some blue, magenta, red/orange and yellow to them. Also, check the rest of the thread, there are plenty of skin colours you can study.

Return to “Tabloids”