<rant>Rant Board</rant>

Chatter about anything and everything.

<rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Nerveux » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:57 pm

This is just a topic for plain old ranting :V You don't even have to have a reason, it's just a nice way to get your feelings out about little things.

Please make sure you abide by GLAM!'s Code of Conduct. :wink:

Me first since I'm posting the topic. :]

Like a few other people here I entered the Mystery Murder Pageant. I triumphantly sent in my entry because even though there was a few things I didn't like about it there was a lot more that I did. So I was super excited for voting of course because I assumed that I'd get plenty (not a lot mind you, I didn't think "OH BOY. I"MMA GONNA WIN." it was more like "Yay for votes :D"), which I was looking foreword to because I really haven't been getting positive feedback lately, on anything really. ANYWAY, I sent in my 5 votes (None for myself, cuz, well there were better entries than my own...) and then I check to see how many I got.

0, along with about 10 other entries at the time. I did a little Okay face. And clicked off, about 49 people had voted about that time I think... At that time it was a more motivating defeat ya' know? The kind where it's like "I MUST DO BETTER!"

So today I looked again and around 76 people have voted (I've been dividing the votes by 5, so technically their could be more voters...) and I'm still sitting at 0 with around 3 other people now. I'm just sort of like "Really? :|" right now and i'm moving away from the motivational defeat to the "I would like to crawl in a hole defeat." It's really starting to stomp my creativity. Arrrrgh~ It really wouldn't be so bad if I didn't like my entry as much as I do.

Maybe I'll get an award for getting 0 votes XD.

NOTE: Please do not vote for me based on this rant. Please do go to the Pageant and vote for your top 5 picks :]
dA Help me with my site!
Is of the female variety.
ImageImageImage
I'm collecting Benny themed items<3<3
User avatar
Nerveux
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 pm
Diamonds on hand: 239.00
Location: Google.
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://ccg.portmanteaux.org/?p=main
Formerly: Inara

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Mai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Unfortunately.. that type of thing happens in pageants or even normal contests. Only thing you can really do is to get some of your friends to vote for you.
User avatar
Mai
Celebrity
Celebrity
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 am
Diamonds on hand: 2,029.00
Avatar Base: http://maiandra.deviantart.com/

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby slightly-caustic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 pm

The reason that those 7 people now have votes is most likely because they voted for themselves ... In all honesty in an ideal world were voting was unbiased there would only be a very few people who got votes and lots of people without any votes.
-If you are having trouble shortening my username, you can call me Cat-

ImageImage

Image
User avatar
slightly-caustic
Celebrity
Celebrity
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:30 pm
Diamonds on hand: 3,452.00
Location: USA
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://pixel-glam.com/

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby OKami_hu » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm so totally fed up with the attitude about shops hosted here.

I'm the Melrose Ave's mod, and I dedicate quite some time to lurk around that place. I try to keep it up to date, so when somebody's shop haven't seen any action for half a year, I send out a PM 'reply back to this plz or I'll delete your shop".

For every 20 PM I send out, I get 2 replies saying 'I'd like to keep it plz!'. I've deleted dozens of shops by now, and some of them had unfulfilled orders.

It makes me see red. I know that real life gets in the way, but seriously, how long does it take to change the shop name to "XXX-CLOSED" and perhaps leave a note that 'SRRY peeps, can't tend to this right now, will get back" or "Lost interest, delete plz". WTF?? Do people have no sense of responsibility? By taking an order, you make a promise, and by ignoring it, you break it.

The other thing that pisses me off is to see the orders going on unfulfilled while the shop owner shows off her work proudly. It's probably my special mental condition, but when my shop gets an order, I'll go about it in five days at most, because it doesn't seem right to let the customer wait and wait and wait- I guess a good doll could take weeks, but really... why do people, who know that they take long to get around stuff take more that three orders at a time...?

It's just... sad. It's rude. It's disheartening. And let's not get started on auction dolls that never get done...
Aywas, the better pet site.

Shop: Image

Av & sig are done by me; Av base is Glam exclusive.
User avatar
OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:27 pm
Diamonds on hand: 1,766.00
Location: all over the place
AKA: Hungarian Slash Queen
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby OneSmartChicken » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:42 am

^^;; Well personally, Okami--I always wanna call you Oki for some reason--I think a lot of people feel guilty about their shop orders going unfulfilled. I know I do, but for the moment I do have the excuse of having to get back into dolling. Sure, some people just never get around to their shop orders and that's annoying, but that's their own thing; I don't even mind when it happens to me at all. Maybe I'm weird, but even if it's an order I placed a year ago that I was REALLY looking forward to or something, I just don't have it in me to get upset. ^^; I think a lot of people would also get working on their commissions if one've their commissioners just dropped them a message reminding them. Or maybe not, maybe only one or two people would. I dunno. -shrug- It just doesn't seem like something worth getting worked up over to me.
Avatar by Ody
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I'm collecting chicken things. Indeed.

Glam. Kssh. Ksssh. I am your rooster. Kssh. Kssh. Join me kssh on the feather side. -Darth Rooster
User avatar
OneSmartChicken
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am
Diamonds on hand: 534.00
Location: Florida
AKA: Two Piece Chicken Suit
Avatar Base: http://ubiique.deviantart.com/

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby mokia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 am

A lot of people ignore cut-offs too. Like if you say your shop can only take three orders, people will still post to be added to some imaginary "waiting list". :| Which I think is annoying as hell as a shop keeper. I mean seriously, if it says no more than three orders at once in a shop than that means ONLY THREE ORDERS!!! /rages (If I remember correctly this was cause someone "famous" had opened a shop, I think it might have been Holz, and since so many people wanted stuff from them, they let a waiting list happen.... and everyone since then has done it for all shops)

Anyway, I'm one of those terrible shop keepers. I used to be really good, and I get fun ideas, and then someone will come along and ask for too much or something really tedious and I'll avoid it and then abandon my shop >_> But I think that I at least label my shop as such. I also told the dollchat not to let me open any shops anymore ;p
User avatar
mokia
Producer
Producer
 
Posts: 2680
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:59 pm
Diamonds on hand: 10,371.00
Location: Austin, TX
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: My base

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby MeganClare » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 am

Oh I have a rant and I barely got out of bed!! I hate when you sleep in until some ridiculous time (10:45am... ugh!) and it's a sunday so you realise you kind of wasted half the day already! And my husband's still in bed! lol!

About pageants: I agree with slightly-caustic, really it should be a very small number of people that get any votes if the pageant voting is saying 'please vote for the best' because what people consider to be 'the best doll' is not going to deviate much is it? I think judges should do the voting maybe? Otherwise people will just get desperate and vote for themselves, which is a bit stupid as there's only one of you so you'll get one vote :/

About shops: This is why I don't have one! Because it would be a cool and cute idea to make stuff for people, but when it came down to it, my ability to fulfil orders would be zero!! I suppose just know how much time you have to dedicate to making stuff on your computer and realise that maybe you don't have the time. Life gets in the way!
User avatar
MeganClare
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm
Diamonds on hand: 7,386.00
Location: uk
AKA: I'm a dirty dog!
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: mariiii.de

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Wumpa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 am

I have a contests website, and I only give *one* award according to people's voting. The other voting is done by my judge panel. Because honestly you can't trust random people and even contestants to be fair, and that's just normal. It's like all Internet contests where you gotta vote - have you ever seen a contestant *not* begging for votes in their deviantart journal, livejournal, Facebook, etc.? Telling you how many times you should vote and how to properly vote (register, enter this area code, etc.)? It's just the way people are.
And yes, it sucks. I agree. And I think it's worse with pageants. That's why I don't participate in those. XD the competition is too fierce for me to handle and after the first round I very rarely even have fun.


My rant is about the Dolls section here. How come topics only get a max of 5 replies each, including the original poster's reply? There are exceptions, of course - some people will always get 20-something replies - but wow. I feel like it should be one of the most visited forums here and it's not. XD that, or people are lazy to comment with more than "wow nice doll".
I'm guilty, though. I often visit it just to see new dolls and I don't even comment. But! I'm working on it. I set a goal for myself - reply to at least two threads every day :)
User avatar
Wumpa
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Diamonds on hand: 530.00
Location: Quebec, Canada
AKA: High Noon on Wumpa Mountain
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: duckie.artician.com

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Daenerys » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:11 am

My rant is that there are too many negatice nancy's in thios thread!! :P

(oh, that is just a joke btw, because some people don't know how to get humour that is written down with a smiley after it.)

If I were to rant, which I won't because I am too happy right now, I'd rant about the dolls forum too. About how so many dollers only seem interested in posting thier own dolls and never seem to comment on other people's. I don't post dolls anymore (not that anyone's noticed) but I still go out of my way to comment on dolls posted by relative newbies.

And lets face it: commenting is ONE of the things that can actually help you become better at dolling, because it forces you to look at a doll critically. Something which beginners rarely do with their own dolls ('Noooo, mine are Perfect as they are, plz do not cc meh')

... But aside from that, right now I am just ranting at my own archiving skills. I misplaced my cdrom with my fave graphics program!!!! Now I have to make due with Photoshop on my new, self-built computer!

(Yes, this computer did not excist 24 hours ago. It was in bits and boxes in our library room. Now, it is a humming, singing, rocking, computing machine! I love it. I need to name it.)
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::
User avatar
Daenerys
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 2391
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm
Diamonds on hand: 953.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: Mine.

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Hollay » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:39 am

I did do a waiting list when I had a shop open.. but it was more of a 'last call' sort of thing. When I re-opened after finishing my 3 orders, I'd send a message out to those on the 'waiting list' when I did. So basically they weren't guaranteed an order, they were just given a heads up if they happened to be online when it was back..
User avatar
Hollay
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm
Diamonds on hand: 1,094.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell
Avatar Base: Immaculate Conception

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Marleaux » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 pm

*quick note before I start, I use rant and bitch synonymously.


You know what I hate? When people go out of their way to bitch. The dolling community always has to find a way and a reason to massively bitch. Can't ever seem to be happy. I usually think what people are ranting about are stupid things to get worked up about.

The pageant thing. So what people vote for themselves? If you don't love yourself, who will? It's not like you're winning money or some grand prize, you get a plaque you can't even hold onto. And so what if people only vote for 2 entries when it says pick your favorite 3. They clearly didn't think a 3rd was worthy. That's their choice, that's why it's public choice. Judges don't skip entries when they judge, public choice is just frivolous and certainly something to take with a grain of salt. So you get 0 votes, big deal, you just weren't as good as the others. Most dollers take this as a sign to improve (I know I do).


I do think it's crossing the line to ask your friends to vote for you or even to advertise a contest voting when you aren't running it. That is asking for votes for you and not something I tolerate in anything I run.

This attitude about shops and auctions are atrocious in my opinion. This isn't the real world, you didn't pay yet, you didn't sign a contract. People have lives that can drastically change in matter of days. I got a job within a week out of nowhere an I don't even have time to doll, let alone sit around fixing the long list of Glam bugs. (Though, working Locally, I've had the opportunity to almost completely revamp my website. ) And people that bitch about their shop orders not getting done have likely DONE the exact same thing, I know I have.

Another dip into pageants, people always seem to think pageants are unfair(voted or judged) when things don't quite go as they want.

I've read a lot of peoples comments everywhere that bitches about Glam's doll section. Just fucking comment then. Quit bitching about other people -not- commenting and comment yourself. This is a community, not a circlejerk. Just because others don't comment on yours doesn't mean you shouldn't comment. If 5 people didn't get enough comments, rather than bitching, they could go comment on other people's dolls and that's +5 comments. As for the actual content of comments, so what if someone says "your doll is sooo cute." They think it's fucking cute, what else is there to say? Would you like them to also CC you? To tell you it's cute but completely wrong? It's such a hypocritical sentiment.

I also really dislike public passive aggressiveness.

I don't like how people just like to have things without working for them. I can't expect to be Pope Marly if I don't actually do any Poping. (this only applies to online, irl I'm of of the 99% of people who wanna get paid for doing nothing). In short, if you don't do the work, you shouldn't get the title.

It also pisses me off that people in position of power (me as an admin for example) are regarded as nastier when they say something a regular member might have made and been overlooked. For example, Bill Clinton cheated on his wife but it was a huuuuge fucking scandal cause he was president. If this was a regular joe and it made the news, people would be like what the fuck? That's not news! We -are- people too and we aren't always speaking as a person of power, sometimes we're just speaking.

Dolling ranting aside, I hate how at work I have to say How are you? (I'm a cashier) when it doesn't mean shit. The customer and I usually just mumble or not care. I don't fucking care how your day was. I just don't care. I don't like when customers get pissed I have to verify that "the price was wrong." People lie or you pick up the wrong thing, I can't just change the price because you have a trusting face.
Image
My spawn
User avatar
Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm
Diamonds on hand: 4,253.00
AKA: Marly Oh-Oh-O's
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: Glam

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Phoenigette » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm

tl;dr, marly you need a vacation. retail always grates on the nerves

it is a little annoying that dolls don't get as much comments as they used to, but i also think it's a good thing. one doll used to get about 50 posts and everything else only got 1, dolls now get about 5 max. Of course, I think a lot more dolls are submitted than prior, which might be why, they just don't stay on the front page for as long.

my rant is when people think it's ok to be blatently mean. I get it, you don't like someone. Being mean or passive aggressive to them in public only makes other people notice and get uncomfortable. I dun like it.
Spoiler: show
Image
Image Image
Image
Thanks Gwen ;)


Bang, baby!
User avatar
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
 
Posts: 5999
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:27 pm
Diamonds on hand: 17,188.00
Location: Some place shady
AKA: Batty's Slave
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: dnya.dA

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby OneSmartChicken » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:37 pm

I actually read Marly's post, wasn't that awfully unlike me? XD I just know I'm gonna be ranting here a lot so I feel like I should read all the posts in the hopes that karma will make others read mine. XD

Anywaaay~ I gotta admit I get annoyed when I see pageants being general popularity contests; in large part because, well, I've got no friends, except, for the most part, you people. Also because I like to think I'm not arrogant, but I am capable of looking at something and knowing they're not up to par with, if not me, someone else in the pageant. I must admit I am biased, and I have strong opinions even when I don't express them, but still; sometimes it's annoying to put a lot of work into something and have it practically ignored.

Okay so actually that was just a sort of sissy grumble thing, but I felt like grumbling.

Other things to rant about, I agree with Debb on people being unnecessarily mean; and it really pisses me off when people decide I'm being mean. I'm a fucking nice person all things considered; I'm just honest, for the most part. I hate when people get upset over the c+c I give and I kinda hate that in order to avoid that I have to compliment it too--and be vocal about it. I don't like your doll, why can't I just say that? And yeah, like Marly said, just cause I'm an editor doesn't mean I'm suddenly a different person. I'm a bitch; always have been always will. When I say I'm nice I don't mean it in a "oh I'll hug you and kiss your booboos and always be nice and sweet" way. I don't go out of my way to be mean, and I'm capable of looking at issues from both sides of the argument.

Traced bases are another rant of mine. Not the bases themselves; the shitton of people having a fit over them. Yeah they're illegal and wrong and immoral and BLAHBLAHBLAH just shut up already! I don't care, okay!? For one thing, most of them are traced off of highly successful animes and cartoons that have made millions of dollars off them and frankly the artist probably doesn't care. Personally, if I ever have a traced base made off of anything of mine, or even if something of mine gets stolen, I'll probably be complimented! I mean sure I'll be pissed too(maybe), but for the most part I'd feel a lot like "wow, really? <3" and I'd kinda have to thank the person before reporting them or whatever.

A brief thing I also hate, hypocritically--lying. I'm a compulsive liar--half the time when I lie it's entirely by accident, and I can't take it back because for a lot of people it's whatever you say without thinking that's the truth but I can lie without a thought; good, creative, believable lies too. But I actually hate lying in general. I just don't like having to keep it straight for one thing, and I don't like being lied to.

I'll shut up now cause I'm actually feeling pretty cheerful. ^^;;
Avatar by Ody
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I'm collecting chicken things. Indeed.

Glam. Kssh. Ksssh. I am your rooster. Kssh. Kssh. Join me kssh on the feather side. -Darth Rooster
User avatar
OneSmartChicken
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am
Diamonds on hand: 534.00
Location: Florida
AKA: Two Piece Chicken Suit
Avatar Base: http://ubiique.deviantart.com/

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Wumpa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:56 pm

OSC, omg, you just put words on my thoughts about traced bases. XD what's the huge deal? I'm against them, so I just don't use 'em. End of story. Bitching about "omg this base is traced" will most likely NOT get it removed from deviantart or will not stop people from using it. All those speshul anti-traced-bases groups on dA or whatever is just annoying me, 'specially since people want me to join.
User avatar
Wumpa
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Diamonds on hand: 530.00
Location: Quebec, Canada
AKA: High Noon on Wumpa Mountain
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: duckie.artician.com

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Guitarlove » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:56 pm

I like to rant, but most of the time, it gets pretty personal when I do. So, I'll try not to.

Oh pageants, how masochist I am with you. I like making entries for you, yet I know I don't usually stand a chance. Mine as well be straight with opinions about them. First off, I don't care if people vote for themselves, I personally try not to. I'll be honest, I have done it before, and I don't regret it. Secondly, I was happy with those six votes on MDE, heck I was surprised I got any. Thirdly, I wish people didn't take pageants to heart so much. If you didn't get too many votes, didn't make it to the next round, and/or didn't win awards, then take it positively. Don't be so negative about it. Use it as a turning point for improvement.

Moving on, I'm tired of so much negativity. Don't play calling someone stupid as "joking" that's not joking, that's being rude, plain and simple. Enough with the rumors, they only hurt. I hate hypocrisy, practice what you preach. Its not that hard, seriously.

Lastly, so what if I like this and that? Its not that big of a deal. Now, if I liked doing something like killing people, that'd be a big deal, but if I like watching shows like SVU, what's it matter to you? I can see the concern if I like doing things that are unhealthy or wrong, but I have permission to like things others don't. Don't like that? Get over it. Its not the end of the world.
User avatar
Guitarlove
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm
Diamonds on hand: 811.00
Location: "Cincinnati Tri-State"
AKA: Monochromatic Maniac
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: Glam! Exclusive

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Rhapsody-Girly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm

There are a lot of freaking long posts here, but I must say I Read most of them, and derp here's my response

Shops- I agree that it is annoying when orders are left unfilled, however like it has already been said, its not real life, its not real money, and unless you payed already with the forum currency there isn't really any reason to get upset, though sometimes it'd be nice to be let known that the order/shop has been closed so that I don't have too worry about keeping diamonds to pay them.

And waiting lists, never really liked them, but I always felt rude turning down peoples requests to be on a waiting list, so I ended up getting backed up with my shops and yeaaah.

Pageants- Drama is ridiculous here, The peoples choice has like, no influence on the rest of the contest, it is simply one that goes to what the people in the contest like best, if you don't get any votes then it isn't necessarily because no one likes your doll, its because people like OTHER dolls MORE, you kinda just have to suck it up, if your really that offended that you didn't get any votes then you should have voted for yourself, I know up until the miss doll europe, I always got eliminated first round, I was a little sad at that but really, it wasn't worth getting all wound up over, I just tried harder in the next one. Its not like you get anything from the pageants besides maybe 300-400 pixels saying you won.
I've always felt for myself, that pageants are more for working with a theme then winning, it helps me practice getting better with themes that i'm not used to, or helps me get inspired to doll stuff I don't normally doll.

Traced Bases- Its blatant art theft 90% of the time, its usually badly done, with very few exceptions, and they make a bad name for the rest of dolling, If I ever had my artwork traced i'd be angry, I'm very possessive about my stuff, I don't even like doing shop orders sometimes because I don't like giving up something I did so yeah its just irritating. But if traced base makers got permission and didn't make the bases 900 pixels big and leave hair/clothes on them i wouldn't have a problem with em.

My rant- DERP @\x/@ I has nothing else to rant about right nao

Edit
ART TRADES- UGH!!!! I hate it, I do my best with art trades to finish them quickly and do a good job with them, but at least half of the art trades I have done I don't think I have gotten ANYTHING back for them, it seriously makes me sad, especially when I don't even get a sorry or they let me know that they aren't able to do it for some reason.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
My Website | Deviantart
Also Known as she who lurks within Rehearsals : D
User avatar
Rhapsody-Girly
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:51 am
Diamonds on hand: 2,742.00
Location: Narnia
AKA: Queen of Pink Ninja Vampire Monkey's
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: Baseless

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby MeganClare » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 am

I still don't really understand the voting for yourself thing? It seems really pointless, especially because unless you cheat by getting friends to vote for you as well, you're not going to win based on voting for yourself which = 1 vote. I think if you win you'll get more than 1 vote? Is it just to make yourself feel better, to say that you got at least 1 vote, even if the vote came from you? Honestly I really don't get why you should vote for yourself, I kind of find it egotistical too :/

I rarely won any contests, and that's because back in the dayyyy it was bloody tough competition as well, even if I spent hours and days and planned my whole doll out with huge amounts of detail and did it baseless and all the vote-grabbing tactics, I would still lose miserably to someone that was just plain better than me! That's life.
User avatar
MeganClare
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm
Diamonds on hand: 7,386.00
Location: uk
AKA: I'm a dirty dog!
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: mariiii.de

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Caelest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 am

You know what grinds my gears?...


Pageants - Meh, popularity is always going to be extremely biased. You learn that in high school real darn quick. What I don't like is when people BEG for votes from outside of the dolling community. "Please vote for me. Vote for the others too because their is a vote minimum but at least vote for ME!" Ah no, not acceptable.

Tracing - Most of you guys already know my stand on traced anime bases but I'll say it again since this is a rant thread. :P I hate them. They put out a bad image of what dolling is to the outside community. If you look on dA's Digital Dolls gallery and click on Most Popular > All Time, you'll see that more than half of those shown as most popular are nothing but traced bases. It was NOT like that before the gallery started accepting them and it got 10x worse when dA said it was "A-okay" to make them. (Just today someone uploaded like 20+ traced then recolored images from Teen Titans and called it her OC.)
Image Image Image Image Image
User avatar
Caelest
Celebrity
Celebrity
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:27 am
Diamonds on hand: 14.00
Location: North Carolina
AKA: ElvenCrystaline AKA Stacy
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: http://www.stvgr.net/dhf/

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Sheesha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 am

To those of you saying that if people voted honestly in pageant polls, only a few entries would receive votes, I disagree.
Because someone can be a better technical doller and have superior technique but not receive my honest vote, because I prefer to vote for the ideas and concepts behind the doll. I like to pay attention to how well chosen the base is, and how well it has been edited.
And colours. I am a sucker for a good colour scheme.

And the thing is, someone doesn't necessarily have to be a super fantastic experienced doller to create a really brilliant, thoughtful pageant entry.
User avatar
Sheesha
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm
Diamonds on hand: 2,320.00
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby mariiii » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 am

Sheesha wrote:...attention to how well chosen the base is, and how well it has been edited

I think that's the reason why I nevere entered a pageant yet >.>
A miss-contest is about 'beauty/character' - and if someone uses an ugly base, I'm pretty sure she won't win. So many attention goes to the base, which hasn't been made by the doller. Especially the underwear/lingerie-rounds require a good looking base in my opinion, or a very special (+sexy) pose. I just don't understand why other's bases are allowed for pageants.
CC please
Eventhough I often don't change the current doll/base, I will keep in mind for any future works :) Thank you very much!
User avatar
mariiii
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:16 am
Diamonds on hand: 591.00
Location: Germany
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: my base :)

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Gloria Evenstar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 am

Wumpa wrote:All those speshul anti-traced-bases groups on dA or whatever is just annoying me, 'specially since people want me to join.

I think they're pretty handy. If would have a normal bases group you would end up with a buttload of traced bases. As a person who doesn't like to use them, isn't it nice to have a group that panders to your original-bases needs?

Phoenigette wrote:my rant is when people think it's ok to be blatently mean. I get it, you don't like someone. Being mean or passive aggressive to them in public only makes other people notice and get uncomfortable. I dun like it.

I know, right? If I may say so myself, I'm not really one for complaining in public, let alone about other people. The one thing that will get me in rant-mode, is when people keep complaining about other people. Like they think this one teacher is just so annoying, and evil, and biased, and I have never had a problem with that person in my whole entire life. I never find people/teachers/fellow students near as annoying as the rest of my classmates! And when I complain about it, or even politely ask if they could maybe change the subject, they get annoyed at me! Is it seriously so much to ask to not hate on everyone irrationally?!? AAAURRGGH!

@OneSmartChicken, maybe somewhat related to my above rant, but I have no idea how anyone could ever find you annoying. You sincerely want to help the people you C/C, and you always say nice things about their effort before launching into what could be improved.
It's only mean if you don't say a single good thing about some newbie's first effort, and just C/C the hell out of it, regardless of if they even asked for harsh C/C. If I was a first time doller, something like that would scar me to the degree of deserting this forum completely.

@Sheesha, I myself vote for what looks nice, rather than technique. It's nice if your entry is well shaded, but if it looks boring I'm so not going to vote for it. I'm a bit too focused on the 'ooh, pretty!' factor.
User avatar
Gloria Evenstar
Celebrity
Celebrity
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 am
Diamonds on hand: 1,330.00
Location: The Harvard of the Midwest
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Blu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 am

mariiii wrote:
Sheesha wrote:...attention to how well chosen the base is, and how well it has been edited

I think that's the reason why I nevere entered a pageant yet >.>
A miss-contest is about 'beauty/character' - and if someone uses an ugly base, I'm pretty sure she won't win. So many attention goes to the base, which hasn't been made by the doller. Especially the underwear/lingerie-rounds require a good looking base in my opinion, or a very special (+sexy) pose. I just don't understand why other's bases are allowed for pageants.


I think that's when you have to look at what the person *did* with the base: edits, reshading, hair, character consistency, etc. In lingerie, I'd imagine that parts of the doll that are more important in other rounds wouldn't really apply. So the way the doll should be viewed should change.
And I actually kind of feel that, if you can't make a consistent number of baseless dolls, going with a base is a better idea. Editing a base can show a strong-suit; making a poorly done baseless doll will show more of your faults.


I get really, really annoyed when people blatantly ignore or brush off my critique. :| Especially if I've taken the time to try to be nice, point out the good things, etc. I once had a very esteemed [new community] doller *hide* my comment, which had critique, and add a note to the artists' comments about not critiquing her base. It drove me up the wall that she did that. >> And, a few days later, she just took down the base 'cause she didn't like it, quality-wise. :|
I also hate it when people get mad at me for critiquing them. I try not to critique people who look like "beginners" because I'm guessing they don't have the skin for it, yet. But...when I critique someone who's a good artist, and I assume would want critique, and they go all crazy mad on me, I just... Grah! XD Bugs the heck out of me. That and when people don't want crit on their dolls because it's "just a hobby". << That honestly just confuses me. Why would you not want to get better? :/

I hate it when contests are biased. Just because one of the people who entered is your friend, it doesn't mean that they automatically should get first place. I actually still haven't gotten over that when it happened to me last. << (I really thought I was going to get first place. When I think I'm going to /legitimately/ get first place, and I don't, I'm annoyed. XD) Looking back, the doll was horrible. :T But, as far as I remember, the other two entries were worse... :| But, that's my opinion. *Shrugs* I wasn't the contest owner, but, nrrgh.
Also, when people pick first based on which doll they like the most based solely on concept. One of my sisters has figured out how to win in contests where the holder does that. She just dolls what she knows they want to see. This really bugs me because even if I were to spend days on a doll that is really well done, in a technical and well-thought out and creative sense, the person who has more blood or something would win. :S Just because the holder of the contest /liked/ it more, not because the doll was actually /better/. There's a "So-and-so's choice" award for a reason. Drives me crazy. << On the flip side, when someone only does it on skill and doesn't take into account the concept of the contest at all.

Also, "inspired by song" contests should require a note on how you were inspired. << Because a doll of the red queen, from Alice in Wonderland, to Jonathon Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain*..? I just- what?

I think I'm finished. >>

*Not an actual occurrence, as far as I know.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

we're all here


Image


User avatar
Blu
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 pm
Diamonds on hand: 268.00
Location: Rerouting
AKA: This says something different when you're not looking
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: baseless

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Declan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Blu wrote:That and when people don't want crit on their dolls because it's "just a hobby". << That honestly just confuses me. Why would you not want to get better? :/


I can understand that one a little bit.

There are those of us who know they are not very good and just get depressed having repeated to them what they already know. I, for example, only doll to relax and take my mind of other things. I don't view my work as 'art' or think that my creations are in any way special. It's just a nice distraction and it feels almost rude to ask other people to C+C my stuff, when I know I won't be able commit the time to try and work on the issues. Or asking for C+C on something I only spent say an hour on and I already know is not my best. To me, that feels like wasting people's time.

I very rarely post dolls for that reason. I sometimes do, and when I do I am ready to hear comments and critique and know I will have the time to honour the critiques by being able to fix the doll or doing more dolls to practise whatever I need to practise.

However, I agree it's weird to post something in a place that is specifically intended for critique when you don't actually want any.
Image

Avatar by Jaeden

Vist my Shop!
User avatar
Declan
Supporting Role
Supporting Role
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:59 am
Diamonds on hand: 440.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby Gwen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:27 pm

God damn Marls, that was one excellent rant <3 lol
Ugh. I have so many personal things to rant about, but honestly? I love a bunch of people on here, and a lot of my good dolling friends are from here. There's so many amazing pixel artists on here, and I respect all of you to be forward with this whole conversation. I love comments, and I love writing them too. I also love CCing. I don't think I've ever intentionally said one mean thing on here to anyone. But really? To be honest, dolling doesn't matter to me that much. That's why I don't do pageants, and I don't have my own shops. Life changes too quickly to be sure of anything really. And lately the only inspiration I've had is doodling on my tablet |:
But honestly pageant votes don't matter that much, at least in my mind. So what if no one votes for you? There's only ONE vote that counts, and if you love it, then who cares if anyone else does? I voted on the pageant yes, but I entered the Britishness contest and asked someone who also dolls to join it too, just for friendly competition. I want her to win, she's amazing. And honestly? She deserves it. That aside, because it's completely off topic, I'm really tired of seeing hate around here on Glam. Too many people are becoming elitists and it's kind of irritating me. Like when a bunch of people bother to leave comments CCing or simply telling you they love your work and you ignore all the comments because you're "better" at dolling than them? Sorry, hell no. EVERYONE has room to improve. I don't care if you've been dolling for 25 years or for one, you're still the same in my book.
Whatever though.
Also, if you get 0 comments on a post, it's normally because no one knows who you are. If you post on a bunch of works, it usually comes back to you. Even if it doesn't, who cares? Really, I don't expect comments at all. They're nice to see, but I'm not going to throw a conniption fit because no one said anything I didn't know already. Post and CC other people, and maybe one day, your post will have 90 comments, and you can go reply to them all and see how annoying it gets. Then you'll hate bitching about it in the first place.
Ugh.
That's my two cents.

Also Chicken, I do not know one person that hates you. I think you're a wonderful person.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
User avatar
Gwen
Director
Director
 
Posts: 3755
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 pm
Diamonds on hand: 123.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: All made by Lex ♥
Formerly: Blackfyre

Re: <rant>Rant Board</rant>

Postby OneSmartChicken » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

You people make me feel all warm and fuzzy. -snugs Dead and Gloria- <33 Just thought I'd throw that out there. Partially just to screw with the rant board. Poor thing. It's probably confused now.
Avatar by Ody
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I'm collecting chicken things. Indeed.

Glam. Kssh. Ksssh. I am your rooster. Kssh. Kssh. Join me kssh on the feather side. -Darth Rooster
User avatar
OneSmartChicken
Super star
Super star
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am
Diamonds on hand: 534.00
Location: Florida
AKA: Two Piece Chicken Suit
Avatar Base: http://ubiique.deviantart.com/

Next

Return to Tabloids

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron