How do you display your dolls?

Chatter about anything and everything.
Pinstripe
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style:Pixel
How do you display your dolls?

Post by Pinstripe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm always falling in and out of the community, and I don't have a DA or site. Right now, my dolls are collecting dust in a folder on my computer. :(

I guess what I'm really wondering is if someone has something other than DA that they really like. I don't really like DA for dolls (or at all, but that's another story). I don't like having little thumbnails for each one that you have to click on. For a while, I tried to have a tumblr for dolls, but that didn't really suit my needs either. If I'm being totally honest, I'm an old lady and I miss the days when everyone had a site, even if it was a terrible geocities one. :x

Anyway, what do you use, and do you like that method?
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

phantomlolita
Cast
Cast
Dolling Style:Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base:http://kawaiihannah.com/

Re: How do you display your dolls?

Post by phantomlolita » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Webs.com is what I'm using right now. You have the option of using their site builder (which is actually pretty nice) or creating your own site from scratch. Lately I've been using the site builder, because I just don't have the time to maintain or even code a new website right now. I do miss the days when everyone had a site and the community was fun, everyone had contests, we were all more connected. Sad to see that there are really only small corners left of what was once a really amazing community.

Shixam
Super star
Super star
AKA:Princess of Pink
Avatar Base:http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Post by Shixam » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I want to have my own site, but it's taking me forever to get to. Right now, I use dA. And you really don't need to have a little thumbnail for it. I've been able to post my dolls without a thumbnail since I joined. =)

I have Freewebs set up for my site, but right now I basically just use it to upload my dolls to so I have a place to get the link from when I post them here.
My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sheesha
Super star
Super star

Post by Sheesha » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:39 pm

These days just DA and a Tumblr blog. I used to have a site and all of that, but people seemed to check DA more often, so it was simply easier.

theladywrath
Super star
Super star
AKA:Come at me Bra
Avatar Base:http://milkbun.deviantart.com

Post by theladywrath » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Weebly.com is what I use. It's my absolute favorite so far. You can follow their templates (which are totally customization) or you can go strictly html or any variation in between. It take a bit of getting used to but once you've got it, it's super user friendly.

But I also have a DA. xD
ImageImageImageImage
:: Foxxy and Pony :: Kitty by me :: Fox Cube ::

ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity
Avatar Base:http://bunnystick.com

Post by ElfMaiden » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I have them as a section on my website currently, and that does tend to be what I prefer -- but I might be changing things around soon. Once I convert my website over to being a portfolio site, I'll either restrict them and all my drawings and such that aren't up to snuff to my DeviantArt account or I'll add a seperate site for them again. That'll depend on how I'm feeling at the time. Probably another site, since I enjoy working on websites and having a just-for-fun personal site, and I'm somewhat ambivalent towards DeviantArt (it's nice for getting comments and constructive criticism on things, but I prefer to go to forums for that anyhow when I can, and I certainly can for dolling).

the black dahlia
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by the black dahlia » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 am

I've never had an actual website for dolls since I can't categorize them appropriately and I don't think I have good enough "showcase" dolls. Well, I'd say now I do, especially the ones that got DDs, but I am constantly thinking "oh, this one could go in my unpolished folder" since I have high standards for myself. Now I am trying to put my newest pieces on DA and rarely do I ever post a doll on tumblr since it'll get ripped as a sprite. I'd like to show my old dolls to everyone kind of as a progression of style and technique since "it does get better" ;P

Pinstripe
Super star
Super star

Post by Pinstripe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for the tip on weebly, Wrath. It was really easy to set up. :D
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

theladywrath
Super star
Super star
AKA:Come at me Bra
Avatar Base:http://milkbun.deviantart.com

Post by theladywrath » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Pinstripe wrote:Thanks for the tip on weebly, Wrath. It was really easy to set up. :D
:D Glad its working for you love. I was super surprised when I found it, considering everything you can do with it, and also since its free. There are a couple of features that you have to have a paid account for, but I've yet to have needed one of those anyway.
ImageImageImageImage
:: Foxxy and Pony :: Kitty by me :: Fox Cube ::

H|F
Super star
Super star
AKA:The Black Sheep

Post by H|F » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am

I totally have a website and I haven't updated in ages..... it's so sad!

I wish we had something like dA for us, just for dolling =(
Heather | Age 25 | AV base by Kakuzu Chan
BASE
Want to see where I started?

Bases by Wayuki

All of these are bases from The Doll Palace

LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star
Avatar Base:http://kar10sa.deviantart.com
Formerly:PocketfulOfLove

Post by LucyKitsch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:26 pm

I like DA for *my* stuff but I am thinking about making a website for all of the things that have been made for me. (And maybe still keeping my DA, too...)
Glad you asked this - it's been bugging me, too.
- Lauren
Usernames I've Used: LaurenDouglasArt / LucyKitsch / BalanceWithIntention / TransmogrifiedLimn / AndSheCameAlive / LuneLyoness / OfTheFreckledKind / LaBellaMadre / PocketfulOfLove / TheSketchingVeg / LestYeBecome / EvolveTransform / LaurenDouglasCreates / LaurenDouglasCreative*

My DeviantArt
Avatar by me, base is a GLAM exclusive.

My laptop is finally working after not having worked for months, AND I'm pregnant, so sorry if you haven't seen / still may not see much of me for a while! :)

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

H|F wrote:
I'm actually working on this! Kinda. I'm like 50% sure that it won't actually be functional. I want to take one of my class projects and make a dolling version of it, and the way I'm picturing it the site would essentially be a dolling version of deviantart.

Whether or not it actually becomes a functional site depends half on if there's enough interest it becoming one and half on if I can figure out how to do everything for it.
My Charm Bracelet

Pinstripe
Super star
Super star

Post by Pinstripe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Shixam wrote:
H|F wrote:
I'm actually working on this! Kinda. I'm like 50% sure that it won't actually be functional. I want to take one of my class projects and make a dolling version of it, and the way I'm picturing it the site would essentially be a dolling version of deviantart.

Whether or not it actually becomes a functional site depends half on if there's enough interest it becoming one and half on if I can figure out how to do everything for it.
That's a fantastic idea! I hope you're able to make it work. I like the commenting/faving aspect of DA, which you don't get if everyone just has their own sites...
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

H|F
Super star
Super star

Post by H|F » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 pm

I tried in the past but it was just a lot for me with everything I had going on before due to not knowing even how to make such a website with those types of funtions!

Even if it's more like a "web ring" and each doller gets a page that's kind of customizable and can link to each other and their siblings ect.

I wish there was just something that brought these two worlds together and gave each doller a way to make it their own and display their dolls, bases, and adopted dolls.
BASE

Bases by Wayuki

LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star

Post by LucyKitsch » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am

I just made a weebly and really, it's super easy. It's not like DA or anything, but I'll be making buttons and I think if we all actually used the contact forms and stuff on the sites, it could be mildly similar for now. :P
My page is lestyebecome.weebly.com
- Lauren
Usernames I've Used: LaurenDouglasArt / LucyKitsch / BalanceWithIntention / TransmogrifiedLimn / AndSheCameAlive / LuneLyoness / OfTheFreckledKind / LaBellaMadre / PocketfulOfLove / TheSketchingVeg / LestYeBecome / EvolveTransform / LaurenDouglasCreates / LaurenDouglasCreative*

My DeviantArt

My laptop is finally working after not having worked for months, AND I'm pregnant, so sorry if you haven't seen / still may not see much of me for a while! :)

mariiii
Super star
Super star

Post by mariiii » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:59 pm

[/quote]
H|F wrote:I wish we had something like dA for us, just for dolling =(
I was working on this. WAS :| . When our server has been hacked we needed to delete everything. Luckily I had a backup of my site (which was down for a little while, too) but didn't have any backup from 'IheartDolls'. It was a community with the CMS 'drupal'. One already was able to upload a doll + a thumbnail; there was a personal profile, messages and a forum together as one. And I had so many funny ideas for activities and points, to make it a nice place to visit. Like Gaia a bit - my idea was to get points for games or contests; and points could be used to buy forum access (special threads), or special bases, or pixel goods for signatures or avatars. And if you give some good advices/critique you could earn points as well. The idea was to make the users 'want' points - in for points they need to be active.
Dolllers should have a 'home' like DA but just for non-traced dolls so the focus is on art...

Though there were a few security problems - maybe our server even has been hacked because of this. To prove that I'm not lying: http://iheartdolls.com/ It's down (of course), but the domain was bought already (1 or even 2 years ago).

And now I don't have the time and motivation anymore, to build it up again. And I realized many of my ideas can't be created without any professional coders or investing money, sadly.

About displaying dolls:
I still like my old website eventhough it hasn't been updated for ages. It's something personal for me and I can say "I completely created this by myself". DA is good for comments but I prefer forums for critique. The last few times I was at DA I only read comments like "nice" or similar, and nothing really helpful.
Go for an own website :)!
CC please
Eventhough I often don't change the current doll/base, I will keep in mind for any future works :) Thank you very much!

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style:Tool

Post by Parker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 pm

IheartDolls sounds like it would have been a great community. Its a pity it didn't make it. I always wonder why people seem so intent on hacking dolling forums; I remember how The Gathering was hacked twice and I still wonder why someone may waste their time on such silly things.
mariiii wrote:About displaying dolls:
I still like my old website eventhough it hasn't been updated for ages. It's something personal for me and I can say "I completely created this by myself". DA is good for comments but I prefer forums for critique. The last few times I was at DA I only read comments like "nice" or similar, and nothing really helpful.
The issue with DA was that, before, you didn't get that many views from non-dollers-- except when you got a DD-- and CC was a taboo among old-school dollers. Not to be mean, but the biggest piece of CC I got back when I started was "remember to shade under the hair and clothes". The only time I got something similar to real CC was someone pretty much ripping my doll apart and giving no explanation for their corrections, which is partial CC since the best advice will always point out WHY something's wrong, not just what. Not that I'm complaining, though, at least I got an honest opinion. Now, with the Undiscovered feature, you can get more exposure and you may get non-dollers to see your work, but most of them don't know what dolling is and all they can possibly say is "Hey, this doesn't look traced. Good job!". Seriously, they don't know how to critique dolls, some even asked at the forums for help on critiquing bases.

DawnHunter
Supporting Role
Supporting Role
Formerly:PaganGirl86

Post by DawnHunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:12 pm

<selfplug>I have the skills to do a site for dolling, but not the resources (mostly money for host and domain). It would be (relatively) easy to set up a site with profiles and the like, but, again, I lack the money for a server that would host such a site.

I'd be more than interested to work as a group with others, if they - in turn - were interested. My most recent version of my site (banner below) is a design that I took from weebly (unabashedly) and made my own, with a LOT of cleaned up coding and graphics changes. I .. also have 2 degrees in web design >.>
</selfplug>

Aside from my website, I use DA for my dolls, as it's easiest for me and doesn't have rules against it like many other sites do.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm

mariiii wrote:
H|F wrote:I wish we had something like dA for us, just for dolling =(
I was working on this. WAS :| . When our server has been hacked we needed to delete everything. Luckily I had a backup of my site (which was down for a little while, too) but didn't have any backup from 'IheartDolls'. It was a community with the CMS 'drupal'. One already was able to upload a doll + a thumbnail; there was a personal profile, messages and a forum together as one. And I had so many funny ideas for activities and points, to make it a nice place to visit. Like Gaia a bit - my idea was to get points for games or contests; and points could be used to buy forum access (special threads), or special bases, or pixel goods for signatures or avatars. And if you give some good advices/critique you could earn points as well. The idea was to make the users 'want' points - in for points they need to be active.
Dolllers should have a 'home' like DA but just for non-traced dolls so the focus is on art...

Though there were a few security problems - maybe our server even has been hacked because of this. To prove that I'm not lying: http://iheartdolls.com/ It's down (of course), but the domain was bought already (1 or even 2 years ago).

And now I don't have the time and motivation anymore, to build it up again. And I realized many of my ideas can't be created without any professional coders or investing money, sadly.

About displaying dolls:
DRUPAL IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING ABOUT USING! We're working with it now in one of my web design classes. Kind of. It's being introduced a bit, and we were supposed to do more with another class I'm in (They're supposed to be taken one after the other, but I got permission to do both at the same time), and we haven't really. So I only know how to use it through a site called Pantheon really. I'm starting to get the hang of creating themes for it with that, though!

Over the break or whenever I'm probably going to start self-teaching and see if I can figure out how to use it without Pantheon.

I've been thinking about servers and such too. I did a quick google a search a while ago and found some free platforms for making social media sites (Like freewebs for Facebook type stuff), and I was thinking about looking more into those once I'm past finals too and see if they might be the cheap answer to that.

What I was thinking about doing was profile pages, a forum, probably a page with a contest/pageant calendar and such.

In fact, if anyone wants to see the project I'm doing in school that got me thinking about this, it's currently a work in progress here. I've only got the index page so far, and this one is geocaching-specific, so obviously it wouldn't be EXACTLY the same. Design and some content would change as necessary. I need to fix some positioning problems and get the last of the links on it, and then I'll be moving on to the rest of the site. In the end, not all the pages will work on this one because they're not required to for the project, too. Like, there'll be forms, but entering stuff submitting them won't actually do anything. It's just suppose to be a, "This is how it would look," prototype sort of thing.

Also, there probably won't be more added to it until Friday at the earliest. I think another site for another final might be due this Thursday >>; So I've gotta concentrate on that for it. It will not be shared because that design is ugly.

So ugly is physically pains me.
My Charm Bracelet

H|F
Super star
Super star

Post by H|F » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:39 pm

What if we raised the funds?

I'm so highly interested in the idea it would be so amazing

What would be so amazing is like a social network friends/people you follow pop up in a newsfeed along with site news ect
BASE

Bases by Wayuki

LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star

Post by LucyKitsch » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Do you use weebly, DawnHunter?
Because the banner-y thing looks like where my title is. (I could put a logo there but I didn't bother.)
http://lestyebecome.weebly.com/
- Lauren

My DeviantArt

DawnHunter
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by DawnHunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Dawnhunter wrote:My most recent version of my site (banner below) is a design that I took from weebly (unabashedly) and made my own, with a LOT of cleaned up coding and graphics changes
Yes, and no...

I like the design, but needed a sight that I could upload html to. I did to a LOT of changes to the graphics before putting them on my site, and plan to do more so that I don't break copyright laws.

LucyKitsch
Super star
Super star

Post by LucyKitsch » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I totally missed that part, lol.
-_-
- Lauren

My DeviantArt

DawnHunter
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by DawnHunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:18 pm

S'ok :)

H|F
Super star
Super star

Post by H|F » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Also weebly has an app! I can update my site from my phone or tablet..... so wonderful! Thanks for the suggestion oh my gosh loving it
BASE

Bases by Wayuki

Return to “Tabloids”