Chatter about anything and everything.
Daenerys
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Rallying active dollers to Save Dolling

Post by Daenerys » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:55 am

... Melodrama much?

Taking Glam as a starting point, let's see if we can rally some active dollers (either as in actively making pixel/tool dolls, or dollers with time on their hands to do something for 'the community'.).

Dolling has had its rivalries and troubles, and snobbery, but we've all grown up (a bit) and we know we need to put aside the past if we want to preserve dolling for the future.

To be honest, every individual can always continue dolling without being part of any community. So, if we lose our community and online identity, we don't really lose our hobby. But! Don't you just love being part of an online community where you can have fun, get help and cc, and find like-minded people?

I am starting here at Glam, because it is the forum I always return to when I return to dolling, it seems. It's not a statement that this forum is 'better' or 'official', it's just convenience. But feel free to point me to other places or to start a similar cry for help anywhere else.

Are there any dollers who feel they can find some time to try and revive what we once had?
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::

StormNicki
Celebrity
Celebrity
AKA: Crazy Cat Momma!

Re: Rallying active dollers to Save Dolling

Post by StormNicki » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:15 pm

i'm in. Put I done gave all my suggestions in the other topic. XD granted getting something done about all those trace base,MLP,sonic and other odd things out of the customization section of DA would really help. Like said in the other topic getting a ban some some things.
ImageImageImageImage
Pony by:BTD Avie:Base Sig:Base:::Base

Mogget
Super star
Super star

Post by Mogget » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Im in
I work alot but im definitely still an active doller

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:52 am

It's a start. Lemme see, I will comb through the other thread, combining ideas and thoughts of everyone and then we can form a 'battle plan'.

Anyone else interested in sticking heads together, welcome! Just let us know, so we all know who we can talk to.

dean
Extra
Extra
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by dean » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Right now, I'm really making an effort to my pixelling. I loved the dolling world years ago and have found myself infatuated with the scene again, despite how small it is today. I'm all for activity and reviving our craft so please count me in with whatever we all decide to do.

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:59 am

Consider me the office manager who can coordinate stuff.

I'll think about stuff, and that other topic about Is dolling dying? (do contribute thoughts to that one as well, it is usefull) and then contact people who posted in this thread, this weekend.

Mind you, I live in Europe, so I am a little bit off time-wise.

OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer
AKA: Hungarian Slash Queen

Post by OKami_hu » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 am

*throws in a handful of coins*

Maybe- 'classic dollers' (those who still do things the way it was done in the Golden Age, why do I even have to explain this OMFG) could throw some contests on DA? Excluding traced bases, of course. =3 Although, to give participants a bit of incentive, there should be prizes... And not everybody has the time to make a custom doll, or churn out RL cash for points.

Then again, maybe the Groups could deal out rewards, relying on user donations. Or, a doller with a lot of time could offer the prize doll for the busy doller who's holding the contest.

Or BASE CONTEST. Those would be easily advertisable through the numerous base Groups.
Aywas, the better pet site.

Shop: Image

Av & sig are done by me; Av base is Glam exclusive.

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:39 am

*falls to her knees to make a grab for all the shiny coins*

I like those ideas. I see we really need dA. ... Good thing is, i have barely anything on my dA. So when I upload my frackload of dolls, it will dominate the 'new' page for weeks...

But yes, Deviantart = needed.

OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by OKami_hu » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Dollers even have less time to make SITES... I had two weeks off for reasons, and did I touch any of my four sites that need rehauling? Nope. *is a guilty, guilty webdesigner*

Terence
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by Terence » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Best of luck, girls. :D

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:45 am

Thanks, T.

*sigh* The bane of an online effort is .. real life butting in. I promised to come up with a battle plan, but ehm ... I ended up playing lord of the rings online yesterday.

I do think that after reading through the suggestions a few things become clear.

1. We want dA to reflect the best dollers have to offer there. We have the tools to do that ourselves. NOT just by putting up good or excellent dolls, but also by commenting on the dolls and work we think is worth a comment. If we don't do that, then we just leave the category of dolls to those that do use dA as a social network and comment and face friends left and right based on nothing more than 'i like you, do you like me too'.

2. If we want dollers to come to us, we need to be more open and inviting and accept that there will be traced bases. We can be civil and polite, and not be condescending about a hobby that someone else enjoys. It's not like the basetracers are making millions, or even hundreds, dollars or even dA points on them! Let's recognise that tracing is a first step and that we're here to help them realise there is a second and third step.

3. If traced and anime style dolls are popular, why don't we have more of that style of base available by excellent basemakers? Let's not forget that the Great Angy-Chan also made anime bases, and Mariii has that same style, but better quality, in her bases. So why don't we, as a community,put our money where our mouths are and doll in the style that seems popular on dA, for once, just the one doll, to show what can be done if you apply yourself?

Basically: Show. Don't tell. Act. Don't lament and complain.

And this is something that we must all do individually, if we want to shape the community. And keeping in mind that there is diversity and that there will always be people who will do things differently.

... did that make sense? Because that means we dont have to organise anything big. It just means that with small changes we can breathe life back into what we once had.

TurtleSensei
Celebrity
Celebrity

Post by TurtleSensei » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 am

Count me in! I just invited a friend here after she saw a Kawaii Hannah pixel chibi ijnmy signature on an avatar site
ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 am

That's the spirit, Turtle! Show off dolls and then just point them here :) Or any other site that helps out with making dolls.

OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by OKami_hu » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Hmm well, I DO have a couple of traced bases downloaded... I wanted to resize them to more usable dimensions, shade them properly and post them on DA, with credit to the original maker. =3

Kinda passive aggressive, but I'm basically a very aggressive person.

Mogget
Super star
Super star

Post by Mogget » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 pm

We have the tools to do that ourselves. NOT just by putting up good or excellent dolls, but also by commenting on the dolls and work we think is worth a comment.
This is a very important point, and by commenting and acknowledging those dolls we will be bring more attention to the community
Let's recognise that tracing is a first step and that we're here to help them realise there is a second and third step.
Yes, but let us go one step further to showing them that instead of tracing whatever artwork or picture it is, that they can use it as a reference instead!
If traced and anime style dolls are popular, why don't we have more of that style of base available by excellent basemakers? Let's not forget that the Great Angy-Chan also made anime bases, and Mariii has that same style, but better quality, in her bases.
This is a fantastic idea!
So why don't we, as a community,put our money where our mouths are and doll in the style that seems popular on dA, for once, just the one doll, to show what can be done if you apply yourself?
this too is an intriguing thought and one worth pursuing

I saw this in an article on Deviant art today
Want to submit any ideas, suggestions, collections, or an existing work for consideration for the Today page? We'd love to look at it. Email us at share@deviantart.com
We should get our best wordsmith(Parker comes to mind) to put together a email about the dolling community and maybe we can make it in the article

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 pm

OKami_hu wrote:Hmm well, I DO have a couple of traced bases downloaded... I wanted to resize them to more usable dimensions, shade them properly and post them on DA, with credit to the original maker. =3

Kinda passive aggressive, but I'm basically a very aggressive person.
Aggressive is not a bad trait, unless you willfully hurt someone innocent. But you're not the type. I dont think it's passive aggressive: it is reaching out and editing a base, the same as you would any other.

Yes, Mogget! We need someone to bring dolling and digital doll category into the spotlight! Parker seems perfect for that!

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am

Let me just interject and say that Parker is working on a project that is going to be (we think) very helpful to the world of dolling. It will be unveiled soon. But anyway, since she's spending quite a bit of time setting it up, she may not have time to put together other things just now.

I appreciate the sentiment of everyone who doesn't want dolling to "go under," but I think just making lots of work is the most effective way to help dolling. Remember when Suzy had her site, and people (*cough* ME *cough*) would just refresh, hoping for new dolls from her? I still feel that way about dolling. I get excited when I see people post things. It's inspiring and makes me want to partake! That's how I got into dolling in the first place - I saw someone else's creativity and wanted to make those awesome things like she made. So, from my perspective I'm going to keep dolling like mad and hope that inspires others to follow suit. <3

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:38 pm

Good!

It explains why Parker is busy :P

Good luck with it! This thread is obsolete. It appears there are plenty of projects happening that are not quite finished yet.

Thread can be closed then? Feels a bit useless now. I am not going to be organising anything, and we can all do our bit, on our own.

OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by OKami_hu » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Maybe we can keep talking about the fact how tracing is still viewed as art theft?

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:26 pm

I would start a new thread for that. You can copy the previous comments that pertain to that, and then it will only be about what the thread is about. :)

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -

Shixam
Super star
Super star
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Post by Shixam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:07 am

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, Artzy =)
My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage

StormNicki
Celebrity
Celebrity
AKA: Crazy Cat Momma!

Post by StormNicki » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 am

We won't know how well Parkers project is going to work. What if it fails.. But yet activity with pointing them here. Glam being the it forum atm. So I guess more or less go on stand by. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Pony by:BTD Avie:Base Sig:Base:::Base

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Nicki, Parker's project is part of the Catwalk, but it's going to be resources laid out in a very easy-to-find manner for any beginners or those who want to get tips on various things from real people. So, for anyone who feels like they can't get any better at what they're doing, there will be plenty of things at their fingertips to help them improve. For those who are just curious to see about how dolling works, there's that. To see how Suzy Jo Bobbi Doller does her dolls, we'll have some live & recorded sessions that people can watch to get an idea of how she does things. Basically, it will be a great introductory & ongoing resource for beginners & veteran dollers alike. SO...hopefully that will help a lot of people who are new get better rooted in the community. And maybe it will inspire some to come back from hiatus, too!

So, I don't think Parker's project is going to fail. I think it's going to be a massive success, personally. We've been working hard to make it palatable to people of all shading/art/experience levels. BUT it's not like a "Catwalk or nothing" deal, either. Glam is a big part of the dolling community, too, and any resources that can be had here will be taken advantage of. We're also linking to a whole lot of great tutorials on dA :D

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm

*cough* there are loads of very good tutorials off of dA as well. But you guys know that.

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Yes, we're going to be linking to them. Just you wait and see ;)

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -

Return to “Tabloids”