Characters You Love, and Why You Love Them

Chatter about anything and everything.

Characters You Love, and Why You Love Them

Postby Gwen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Wanted to bring an interesting (and positive) topic to Tabloids, because I've been thinking about it a lot! Please no bashing other people's interests, I want it to be a kind of safe haven to nerd out and not have someone jump down someone elses' throat. If you disagree, that's fine! But do so nicely :)
To clarify: these characters can be from books, movies, where ever you like.

Hm, so to start this thread off:
I really love the Black brothers from Harry Potter. Even though Regulus was a Death Eater (I knowwwww, for shame) he was actually pretty badass and in the end did what was right even though he knew he'd never be recognized for it. He did what he did for himself, and a middle finger to old Voldy. He was brave and intelligent, and I wish we'd gotten to know more about him. Sirius is an extremely complex character, but has a good heart and loyal to a fault. I liked that about him. I mean at a very young age he recognized one of his friends was a werewolf and instead of judging him-- as his family would expect him to do-- he protected Remus and stood by him. He means enough to me as a character that I cried when he died :lol:

Anyway! What about you guys?
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 41.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Blackfyre

Re: Characters You Love, and Why You Love Them

Postby AxxKat » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:53 pm

Man oh man, I really need to finish watching Harry Potter T_T I've only seen up to the fourth one? I Liked the second one the best tho because cute big snake guy was cute. I didn't like that he died, lol.

So I guess I can rant about Daredevil now? I love him so much. I like that he wants to stay good and the struggle he battles with over whether or not he can kill. It's frustrating at times, imo. Because he deals with awful people and gets himself hurt. And that's worrisome and I am always concerned for him bahaha.

AND ALSO STICK! His instructor guy! He's so freaking sarcastic and there were a few times where I was literately laughing out loud at some of the things he said.

I miss nurse lady too :( She was great and I really liked her. And omg Foggy!! I want him to be happy always.

Okay tl;dr- I love pretty much everyone in Daredevil and it makes me wanna read the comics, lol.
AxxKat
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 5,065.00
AKA: Dolling Faster Than A Speeding Bullet

Postby Shixam » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 pm

First names that come to mind for me are Garnet, Ruby, and Sapphire from Steven Universe. Garnet is just, like, the best mom to Steven. She seems really quiet and reserved and serious at first, but then as the series goes on you get see more moments between her and Steven and she has this little soft side that seems to come out ONLY when she's talking with Steven and she's the most likely to humor him and let him go on whatever little tangents or ideas he has, and she fully supports him 100% and it's just the best familial relationship I've seen on the show.

And then Ruby and Sapphire, the few times we've seen them unfuse (or even seen their separate personalities while fused as Garnet) just have the cutest relationship I've EVER seen on a cartoon.

I mean, Ruby calls Sapphire Laughy Saphy. LAUGHY SAPHY. IT'S SO CUTE. GAH. I just can't wait to see them in more episodes.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Dragyn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Well cause it's currently what I'm binge-watching, Kenzi from Lost Girl. The poor girl is freaking fragile little human hanging out with Fae and is alway getting sick, hurt, almost killed, kidnapped, used as bait... But she's so loyal to Bo it's amazing. Like, this little human does whatever she has to to keep up and keep the others grounded and little... human. She balances out all of their sometimes fae-coldness. And she's fucking hot. >> I have the biggest girl crush on Ksenia Solo.
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 371.00
AKA: Bree
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby ElfMaiden » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:04 pm

I have lots of characters I love, although not as many as books I love, since I don't tend to get attached to characters so much as to stories or settings (and yeah, these are probably all going to be from books, because somehow I just never seem to get as involved in anything else as I do in books).

Let's see. I'm not generally very good at articulating why I like a character, but I'll give it a shot.

I've always liked both Éowyn and Aragorn from The Lords of the Rings. Characters I've liked that long, it's sometimes hard to put a finger on why. In Éowyn's case, certainly a part of it is that she isn't content to sit back and let other people do the work, and goes along to battle and ends up making quite the difference. Aragorn I'm less sure of, although how he goes from barely-trusted to leading the Fellowship is probably part of it. While I'm still on The Lord of the Rings, my appreciation for Frodo has grown over the years. I actually like him quite a bit at this point, while when I first read it I far preferred Pippin. Part of it is that he never has any sort of romantic arc attached to him -- I always appreciate that in a character.

Another long-time favourite of mine is Fëanor from The Silmarillion. In some part, it's probably because I could sympathise perhaps too much with the jealousy towards his brothers when I was young, as well as my always having had some temper issues, so there's an element of finding a cautionary tale for me in his story -- but mostly I just think he's very interesting to read about. Maedhros, Fingon, and Finrod have also always interested me in particular. Maedhros (well, and Maglor) is the most reluctant to carry out the oath, although he must, and the fact that he and Fingon remain friends says a fair amount about both of their willingness to set things aside. Loyalty tends to be a big thing with me, I suppose, since that's also one of the things I like about Finrod (plus, he manages to go out in one of the more badass ways; always a plus). More recently, I've also developed an appreciation for Fingolfin, for being a particularly inspiring and upstanding sort of chap.

Then there's Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I like all of them, really, but Raph more than the rest, possibly because he's one of those quite rare characters I can actually identify with to some extent -- loner, temper issues, still loyal to his brothers and Splinter, generally tries to do the right thing in the end albeit in his own way.

Tamír from the Tamír Triad is one of my more recent favourites. If I had to pick my favourite female character that I've read about, she would end up on my short list of possibilities. Interesting character growth, believable actions, and generally being a bad-ass always helps (for me, anyway); plus -- for some reason, this seems to be a problem for me with most female characters I read about -- her motives and thoughts always come off as reasonable and plausible to me. I don't always consider a character changing quite a bit from the first time you meet them until the end to be a good thing, but in this case, it's fascinating.

Morgaine from the Morgaine Cycle is another one who'd be right up there. Due to the way the stories are written, you never actually know what she's thinking, but you learn enough to see a very interesting character unfold. She's also one of the few characters who has managed to still come out on my "really cool characters" list even after a romantic arc... which at least is believable and waits mercifully long in the series. (Yeah, that's a big thing with me, because it's so rare for me to be able to find cool characters who don't end up with any kind of romance -- not trying to say that I have a problem with the ones who do, just to clarify.)

I've also always liked Sherlock Holmes. Another in the "yay, no romance" category, but primarily an interesting individual.

Arafel from The Dreaming Tree is another newer one on the list. She stands out to me by her love of her forest, and the lengths she goes to in order to keep promises made, but also -- yes, again -- because not having any associated romantic story arc.

Yeah... those are the only ones that are coming to mind right now where it doesn't just boil down to "insert-character-here is just REALLY COOL, okay?". I like a lot of characters, so I might think of more later.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 494.00
Avatar Base: http://bunnystick.com

Postby Gwen » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:38 pm

<3 I love all the comments and explanations on here. You guys are awesome.
I don't know how to write the responses for more characters at the moment but I'll think of something haha
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Gwen
Director
Director

Postby 4br4 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:29 am

Ruby from Pokemon Special.
When I started reading Pokemon Special-it was 2008, I was 12. Everyone that I knew had trouble in their formative years, I mean, you have to pick an identity if that makes sense. You can't be the same kid you could be in elementary school, if that makes sense.

This kid here pretty much taught me to figuratively screw gender roles and such. This was a male character that showed like, a lot of emotion (even crying!) compared to the big dudes that only cried maybe when their wife died (I grew up on bad action movies)

What I'm trying to say, is this is not only where my nickname came from, but this character really taught me it was ok to be masculine and feminine b/c it was totally normal. And as a girl that has a lot of testosterone for a girl that hit me really hard. Like I know it's a dude and all but I never felt comfortable as a girl as a young kid and early teen so some character saying "lol screw that do what you feel is right"

and yeah
I felt comfortable about myself and my actions for once in my life b/c of a teenager in a pokemon comic haha;;
also! Not taking the romantic lead. He wasn't comfortable w/ a relationship and just said nah no thanks
and that's kind of nice. c':
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 9,524.00
Formerly: Sweet Raspberry Tea

Postby Daenerys » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 am

I don't love-love characters There are a few that I feel a connection to, and I usually go for the interesting character that is not a main character.

I always liked Duncan Idaho in Dune. Obviously so did Herbert, because Idaho turns into a main character in the rest of the series. I still fume at seeing the tepid actor they chose for the film. I mean, they picked Patrick Stewart for Gurney, who is not half as cool as Idaho! And Idaho could have been so much more! Ah well.

At least Idaho was cool in the game Dune II.

And Starbuck. I wanted to be Starbuck, from the original Battlestar Galactica series, even though he was a guy. And then Ron Moore gave me Starbuck, as a woman. And that was pretty nice.
Image Image
Five and Dae :: PixiStar Base Search :: The Sims Random Stories :: Daenelia's Ramblings
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::
Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 953.00

Postby Shixam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:12 pm

OH SO I'M RE-BINGING TOTAL DRAMA ISLAND! I love this show sooooo much. Started rewatching it because Ridonculous Race just started today. Still need to get watching it.

Top two favorite characters have always been Courtney and Izzy. Izzy is just so freaking hardcore and weird, she's amazing. Every greatest moment of the show tends to involve Izzy for me.

And oh my god, this was the season of the good girl/bad boy Duncney ship. I shipped Duncan and Courtney so hard. For some reason a lot of my favorite characters tend to be the overachieving good girl type and Courtney's that plus dark side.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Gwen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:41 pm

I used to watch that show!! I can't remember most of the people, but it always amused me that there was a goth girl named Gwen on there. I was like hell yeah.

Hmm, for another: I love the Farseer/Tawney Man series by Robin Hobb. (And now Fool's Assassin because she's going to finish that trilogy next year). The main (ish) character FitzChivalry is by far my favorite of any other character I've never read or watched in a movie. Those books legitimately changed my life and made me think. But the thing I love about him is that he's more human than any other character I've encountered. He's an idiot sometimes, but he's strong, brave and compassionate in a way he couldn't control if he tried. He just loves too much, and I feel that on a deep level. I've never seen another character I could adore more than anything but also want to punch repeatedly in the face lmao. Anyway what I'm trying to say is if you all ever have free time you should read her trilogies. I don't know how the third will turn out yet, but the first two are absolutely amazing and made me cry. A lot.
<3
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Gwen
Director
Director

Postby mokia » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:10 pm

MY NUMBER ONE FAVORITE FICTIONAL CHARACTER OF ALL TIME IS KELADRY OF MINDELAN FROM THE PROTECTOR OF THE SMALL SERIES BY TAMORA PIERCE

She's my queen. Her character starts off at 11 years old where she decides to try to become the first female knight in her country in a long long time. The traditionalist training teacher makes her go through a probation period to try and prove that the training would be too hard for a girl and to make her quit, and in the end she not only becomes a fantastic knight, she has a natural talent for being a commander and is a fantastic jouster. She endures a lot of bullying and hardship over being a "girl in a man's world" but she absolutely 100% does not give a crap what anyone thinks and never lets them stop her. But more than reaching her goals, she always puts others who need help over her own needs. Thus "protector of the small".
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,418.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou

Postby Phoenigette » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 pm

IMMA LET YOU FINISH IN A MINUTE, BUT ALANNA IS THE GREATEST FICTIONAL CHARACTER OF ALL TIME.

Jk, I'm actually more of a Daine girl myself. Though I reread Kel the most frequently, she actually pisses me off a lot, I just love Neal more than anything else.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,128.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby mokia » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:52 pm

Phoenigette wrote:IMMA LET YOU FINISH IN A MINUTE, BUT ALANNA IS THE GREATEST FICTIONAL CHARACTER OF ALL TIME.

Jk, I'm actually more of a Daine girl myself. Though I reread Kel the most frequently, she actually pisses me off a lot, I just love Neal more than anything else.

Unfriendly. Deleted. Blocked.
Kel is the best, sorry not sorry.

Also forgot to mention my OTHER queen, Daja. Who I will get into more detail when I'm not on mobile
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,418.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou

Postby the swordid truth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:31 am

My favorite author of all time is Mercedes Lackey. Of all the wonderful series she has either created or contributed to- honestly, of any of the books and stories I have ever read -my favorite remains the Heralds Of Valdemar series. If you're a fantasy lover you have to check them out. Masterpieces, every one of them.
These books are filled with my favorite characters of all time, but since I am as long winded as they come, today I'll just dish up my all-time favorite protagonist.

Vanyel is the main character of my favorite trilogy of Lackey's. We follow him from his teenage years well into adulthood and beyond, and the best part for me was watching him grow. The Heralds of Valdemar are a group of sworn protectors to the country of Valdemar. Each of them is chosen by a magic animal that resembles a white horse with eerily human blue eyes called a Companion. These Companions communicate telepathically with their Chosen and will only Choose one person for the duration of their lives. They are intelligent, brilliant creatures that can see into the hearts of others and will hunt for their Chosen as far as they must go.
Vanyel is Chosen for reasons that no one would ask for after events that no one would wish upon their very worst enemies. While being the first son of an important Holder of important land, he feels openly despised by his family. When finally he is able to escape his family- though forcefully sent away -his life changes. He meets the love of his life, a young man wholly his opposite-
and then, at the peak of his newfound happiness, his entire world changes and falls apart. An incredible ability for magic is brought out in him, but he is psychologically shattered. Vanyel is left broken from a trauma that he never fully comes back from. The man we watch this beautiful, broken boy grow into may have shattered everyone's expectations of him- but we experience every moment of his artfully delivered pain with him until the last words on the last page of the last book.
No story or character has ever made me weep the way that Vanyel did. My chest still aches.
the swordid truth
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 1,596.00

Postby buttons » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 am

Freakin' Hagrid. If I ever got a HP tattoo it would probably be of Hagrid. I'm sure I could come up with plenty of reasons (his loyalty, his love, etc) but really it's just this gut feeling of deep love for this silly, giant, fictional wizard. I love him. I feel the way about Hagrid that Hagrid feels about Norbert.

I also adore Tyrion Lannister... like a lot. I think he's great. That is all.
buttons
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 359.00

Postby Guitarlove » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:33 am

Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic forever and always. Honestly, just looking at the characters themselves and how they interact with each other, I love the Mane Six equally. When it comes to connections, Pinkie will always be number one in my heart. She's wacky, weird, and downright fun and happy. But the thing that stands out about her to me is the fact she's not traditionally girly, but she's still definitely girly. Maybe it has something to do with her design, the fact she's pink with giant floofy hair. But that's not all there is to it. I believe more than anything it's the fact the show doesn't care what your interests are, if you're a girl you're a girl. Words like "tomboy" or "boyish" are never uttered.
Plus she just screams "AUTISTIC" to me. I'm not the only one who feels that way, either. I just relate to her a LOT in a good way.
Guitarlove
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 811.00
AKA: Monochromatic Maniac

Postby Shixam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:15 pm

mokia_sinhall wrote:
Phoenigette wrote:IMMA LET YOU FINISH IN A MINUTE, BUT ALANNA IS THE GREATEST FICTIONAL CHARACTER OF ALL TIME.

Also forgot to mention my OTHER queen, Daja. Who I will get into more detail when I'm not on mobile

I dunno. I might genuinely have to go Alana on this one.

For Circle of Magic my girl has always been Sandry for one weird reason that I relate to her on: She's a thread mage and I've always loved sewing of basically all kinds. So I pretty much fell in love with her instantly once I found that out.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Pyrochan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Blackfyre went there first. FitzChivalry from the Farseer Trilogy and however many more trilogies by Robin Hobb. You got it right, it's been like 60 years through all the stories and in some ways he grows but in others he's a stubborn ass who doesn't change. Sometimes leads grow a lot to fit the story but for Fitz the story keeps trying to make him change and grow and he's like "NO! NOPE!"

I've always been fond of Sayuri from Memoirs of a Geisha. Now I'm fully aware how innaccurate the facts are :P But I love how Sayuri/Chiyo is thrown at the Geisha world and at first rejects it but then has to overcome everything and just keep going even when hope is gone. She's not an action heroine, it's more the people around her who change and manipulate her life, but how she always has the shred of hope all the way through even the tough times.

As a teen I was obsessed with the whole Black family in Harry Potter too, not just the brothers but the 3 sisters of Bellatrix, Andromeda and Narcissa too, and i loved how in the final book we got to meet Andromeda. I loved how the three sisters were raised together but became such different people. I still have a soft spot for that family.
Pyrochan
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 251.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Phoenigette » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Shixam wrote:
mokia_sinhall wrote:

I dunno. I might genuinely have to go Alana on this one.

For Circle of Magic my girl has always been Sandry for one weird reason that I relate to her on: She's a thread mage and I've always loved sewing of basically all kinds. So I pretty much fell in love with her instantly once I found that out.

For me it was a toss up between Briar and Tris. WHY DID WE ALL PICK DIFFERENT ONES? I have hijacked this thread for a Tamora Pierce fandom moment.

But in all seriousness my novel spirit animal is probably Mercy Thompson. She is clever, sneaky, and loyal.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,128.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby Magyk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Ah! I love Mercy Thompson! I don't know that I actually have a favorite character, but seeing someone else who knows Mercy Thompson makes me smile :lol:
Av made completely by me. Base also made completely by me.

* insert interesting and funny things here *
Magyk
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 114.00

Postby Gwen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Pyrochan wrote:Blackfyre went there first. FitzChivalry from the Farseer Trilogy and however many more trilogies by Robin Hobb. You got it right, it's been like 60 years through all the stories and in some ways he grows but in others he's a stubborn ass who doesn't change. Sometimes leads grow a lot to fit the story but for Fitz the story keeps trying to make him change and grow and he's like "NO! NOPE!"

I've always been fond of Sayuri from Memoirs of a Geisha. Now I'm fully aware how innaccurate the facts are :P But I love how Sayuri/Chiyo is thrown at the Geisha world and at first rejects it but then has to overcome everything and just keep going even when hope is gone. She's not an action heroine, it's more the people around her who change and manipulate her life, but how she always has the shred of hope all the way through even the tough times.

As a teen I was obsessed with the whole Black family in Harry Potter too, not just the brothers but the 3 sisters of Bellatrix, Andromeda and Narcissa too, and i loved how in the final book we got to meet Andromeda. I loved how the three sisters were raised together but became such different people. I still have a soft spot for that family.

First <3 <3 <3 I never forget that you share my love for the Farseer/Tawney Man/ Fool's Assassin series. And you're totally right, I love how there's moments where Fitz makes a mature decision and I'm like "he's grown! I'm so proud" and then he goes and does something stupid and I'm like WAIT NO WHAT but, that's the beauty of him. He's imperfect, and that's what makes him wonderful. (And what makes that world so immersive!). The Fool too is a good example of someone who is really flawed, but deeply wonderful.
Memoirs of a Geisha was so good! I was really sad when I realized most of it was inaccurate and not true but, I still really like the book and I think it makes several good points.
And yeah the entire Black family is really fascinating. I always wanted to know what finally drove Bellatrix mad. Other than the fact Sirius implied their family is terribly abusive. Narcissa is pretty fascinating, and I actually like her (don't hate me lol). She's a brave lady that will do anything for her son and let no one stand in her way, even if it gets her killed. Andromeda is pretty cool as well.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Gwen
Director
Director

Return to Tabloids