Subscription Boxes!

Chatter about anything and everything.

Subscription Boxes!

Postby Shixam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:00 pm

So, who buys them? And which one(s)?

I actually didn't realize how many different kinds there were until recently.

I have a friend trying to sort out her life, and she mentioned that she was considering starting her own equestrian subscription box service, because the big one right now is pretty disappointing in her opinion and mostly filled with stereotypical items you get someone for their first horse (her words).

That got me thinking about what different boxes there might be for my different hobbies. Could there be a reading box? A cross-stitch box?

Turns out, THERE IS! I went on a bit of a subscription box hunting binge, I guess you could say, and researched all the reading and sewing boxes I could find. Sadly, there's really only one cross-stitch box, Stitchy Box. It seems alright, but it's mostly just a bunch of materials and one little accessory. They post suggestions for projects on their blog, but I was really hoping for a box that might include kits or patterns inside. And they only ship every other month, and appear to repeat the same themes for every month every year.

It's actually got me considering going the "start your own business" route and forming my own cross-stitch crate, since I've got such a clear idea of what my ideal cross-stitch subscription box would be. Supposedly, it's actually really easy to get started? And that's why there's SOOOOOOO many now. The bar is basically "anyone who can set up a website and ship a box filled with items." Which would guarantee the web design degree wouldn't COMPLETELY go to waste.

But I digress.

I also found many, many book/reading crates, and decided that I like the sound of Owl Crate the best, and I've already ordered their November box. In this case, my vision of an ideal box IS a box that has a book and some themed/related goodies/swag. And I ACTUALLY FOUND IT!

Prior to all this, I was already subscribing to Loot Crate on a monthly basis, skipping the months with themes I'm not interested in. I also just canceled a three month Level-Up subscription. I chose the option to get an extra accessory every month (there's also an extra wearable/basically shirt and one for 2 extra socks, if you guys haven't heard of their Level-Up stuff). Luckily, the three month perfectly matched up with three months I ended up being interested in getting items for (July, August, and September, which were a Zelda-themed scarf, Harley Quinn themed make-up bag sewing bag, totally a sewing bag, and Eeveelution wallet). The next time they have a month with a theme I like, I'm probably going to get the Level-Up accessories again, as long as I have enough money for it.

And then I also just got an email from Loot Crate saying they're planning on adding a new crate for anime/manga fans offering to let people subscribe for email updates on it.

So, in the end I decided to go for a rotation of Loot Crate, Owl Crate, and Stitchy Box (gonna give them at least one shot. The projects on their blog DO seem cute), and only get one crate per month. Exactly which one I order will depend on each month's theme. Since Stitchy Box has fairly static and generic themes, I've decided to prioritize them last and only for months when Loot Crate and Owl Crate BOTH don't have a theme I'm interested in. But this month's Loot Crate is Combat and the Owl Crate is Myths & Legends, so it was an easy pick.

Man, I wish I'd found Owl Crate in time to get their September Crate, though.

But once Loot Crate releases that anime/manga-exclusive crate, picking which one to get for the month is probably going to get A LOT harder.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Re: Subscription Boxes!

Postby Phoenigette » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:50 pm

these boxes are interesting. I've never gotten into them because I have too much shit and not enough house to go around, but they could be fun. I had to refrain from signing up for an art supply box BECAUSE I LOVE ART SUPPLIES even though I don't fully use the ones I have now.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,040.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby Gwen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Oh my god I really want to try the japanese snack subscription box where they send you a bunch of stuff to try every month, but I'm broke as hell right now so I can't do it. Still though, that stuff looks sooooo good.
I also have a friend who buys some blind boxes from some site that sends superhero stuff too.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 37.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby Shixam » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:19 pm

@Debb: Heh, yeah, some of my Loot Crate stuff might still be in their boxes until I'm able to get my own place with shelves for everything xD But they've got such good stuff, I can't help myself. And some of it is tucked away until I have a good place to sell it or give it away.

@Gwen: The Japanese snack box has been a tempting one for me, but i can be such a picky eater that I'm not sure.

(Although now I'm tempted to look up candy boxes...))

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby RaytheDragon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:02 pm

*emerges from the shadows*

Subscription boxes? Yes yes.

I'm subscribed to two, currently. I've been getting LootCrates since September of last year. I'm also a part of the Marvel Collector Corps.

I love LootCrate. I've only been disappointed in one box so far, & that was their "Cyber" crate. Too much Terminator stuff to promote that lame reboot. I've loved all of my other crates, though. I've never signed up for the Level Up part, though. Every time I have the money for it, something comes up & then I'm not able to afford it. I do the month to month plan, so I can opt out if I want to.

I really like the Collector Corps boxes as well. This one is a bi-monthly box, so you only get them every other month. Marvel partnered with Funko for this, so each month has an exclusive Funko Pop! figure in it. That was the main reason I signed up - I've got a huge collection of those Pop! figures :3
However - it's a newer service & oh boy, you can tell. They've had so many issues & it takes forever to get a response from customer service. At first it was billing issues & the automatic payments through PayPal didn't work. Then people kept being told their accounts weren't active, even though they were. Then more billing issues...I have my fingers crossed that the next one (December) won't come with a headache.
They're awesome boxes though! They come with patches, pins, shirts, comics, & figures. For about $35 (including shipping), it's not a bad deal. & everything in the box is actually exclusive.
December's is going to be Guardians of the Galaxy themed :D
RaytheDragon
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 751.00

Postby Shixam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Yeah, Cyber was one of the crates I decided to skip on.

The good news for me is that my brother gets them too (he does the three month plan), so I can easily see if there's anything I regret skipping on. Plus, sometimes he gives me stuff from crates I don't get if it's from a series I like that he isn't interested in.

Collector Corps sounds interesting, and very, very tempting. But it's gonna be getting pretty hard to choose a monthly box already xD And I AM trying to keep myself limited to one per "category," and Loot Crate seems to have Nerd Swag taken care of...

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby mokia » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:10 am

I have never done these and am about to go to bed and can't say much, but omg I need to sign up for OwlCrate stat!
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,415.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Artzygrrl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:22 am

Hahahahahahaa, disposable income, what's that :| I really wanted the "time" themed lootcrate a couple months ago (would've signed up just for that), but alas, having next to no income at all seems to prevent things like "eating" and "having gas in one's car". :(

I do think these boxes are a really cool idea, though! I've always wanted to sign up but then can never really commit. Other things I want to spend my money on/have to spend my money on like bills. 8( I'm a boring grownup!

p.s. - dolling is free (since I already have the supplies to work with)....this is why I doll so much. lol

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Diamonds on hand: 573.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Mogget » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Artzygrrl wrote:Hahahahahahaa, disposable income, what's that :| I really wanted the "time" themed lootcrate a couple months ago (would've signed up just for that), but alas, having next to no income at all seems to prevent things like "eating" and "having gas in one's car". :(

I do think these boxes are a really cool idea, though! I've always wanted to sign up but then can never really commit. Other things I want to spend my money on/have to spend my money on like bills. 8( I'm a boring grownup!

p.s. - dolling is free (since I already have the supplies to work with)....this is why I doll so much. lol

too right too right!
Mogget
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 19,517.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Shixam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:39 pm

mokia_sinhall wrote:I have never done these and am about to go to bed and can't say much, but omg I need to sign up for OwlCrate stat!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! I'm super excited for my first Owl Crate and can't wait for it to get here. Seriously, November is moving waaaaaaaaaaaay too slowly for me this year. xD

I'm also thinking I'll order one as a Christmas gift for my brother's girlfriend next month since she loves to read too.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Phoenigette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:48 pm

so i'm now pretty sure this is what i'm getting EVERYONE for christmas.

Thanks shix
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,040.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby Shixam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:39 pm

You're welcome 8D

SUBSCRIPTION BOXES FOR EVERYONE!

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Shixam » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Sorry for the double post, guys, BUT THE OWLCRATE ARRIIIIIIIIIIIIVED!

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby Taluna » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Currently, I only get 2 boxes myself. Ipsy and Birchbox. I used to subscribe to Bonjour Jolie about 3 years ago but they had some problems with shipping so I canceled.

I found out about Ipsy through a friend group in Second Life. There were less samples back then but now they have a big chunk they can send out every year.

Birchbox was the next obvious choice because it's also only 10USD a month. You only get one makeup item in the samples but it lets me try out lotions and perfumes too. The points system is way better then Ipsy and you can rack up a lot to use in the Birchbox Store.
ImageImage

|Av and Sig Pixels by Me |
Taluna
Stand-in
Stand-in

Diamonds on hand: 506.00

Return to Tabloids