Dumb questions about OC's!

Chatter about anything and everything.

Dumb questions about OC's!

Postby buttons » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:56 pm

In all my years of dolling I've never really had OC's, unless we're counting pageant dolls, which I wasn't. I love seeing them and I love the idea but I've never been sure what the purpose is if you aren't doing like roleplay stuff (not that it -needs- a purpose.) I think I'm missing the point and I've always been too afraid to ask, for fear of looking like a dink.

So, tell me about it! How did you come up with your OC's? Do you use them for roleplaying, just for fun, or something else? If they're for roleplaying, well where the heck are you doing your roleplaying, and why haven't I heard of this place, huh?

Maybe this should be in the help section but I figured it was more conversational :D
buttons
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 359.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: Dumb questions about OC's!

Postby ElfMaiden » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:32 am

Interesting question! :) I'm also curious if there are people who just come up with characters and don't roleplay with them or write about them.

The vast majority of mine have always been, and still are, my RPG characters. As to where I do my roleplaying, well, mostly in my house or my friend's houses. I don't really do online roleplaying, but I do a heck of a lot of pen and paper roleplaying (mostly various versions of D&D, plus MERP). The character in my avatar at the moment is one of my NPCs from my MERP campaign, for example. Oh, and some of them are characters I've played in CRPGs as well, of course (although those often end up crossing over into my main D&D campaign due the nature of that game).

In those cases where it actually isn't an RPG character, it'll be a character from something I'm writing. I don't think I've ever come up with a character just for the heck of it, but maybe that's because I have so many things to do with a character if I do come up with one!
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 494.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://bunnystick.com

Postby Shixam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 am

Most of mine are for private rps that I have with a best friend IRL. Sometimes I doll them, but they mostly go undolled because it doesn't always feel like people are actually interested in them, honestly. Which is probably because they're only used in one rp with that one friend. So I've never really had people gush over mine like I've seen on dA.

The two exceptions to the "RP only" trend for me are Star Ruby and my Pink Catborg. The Catborg was a present from Cait that I loved TONS. And Star Ruby needs a redesign (especially in light of the last round of new episodes we got, I think) is a Steven Universe OC I created for a project Porcelian-Doll started on dA.

EDIT: I also just remembered that I have one character that is both kinda unused and undolled and exists only in my head right now. She's actually kind of a remnant of an old Outsiders rp I got into on Neopets that I really loved. I got into the habit of "writing" possible scenarios for it in my head, but I was young and stupid and gave someone my password for a paintbrush and that account ended up being banned because of my stupidity and the rp was lost.

Anyway, depending on my mood and what I'm into, this habit of thinking up scenarios pops up when I'm bored and start imagining crossovers framed by The Outsiders with this character taking center stage as the connection between The Outsiders and the other series. Her name and some details end up changing in my mind to match my needs. And it all stays safely in my head where no one can judge exactly what I'm thinking.

I guess she's what some people might call a "muse"? I don't actually use her in any RPs anywhere now, but she's still stuck in my brain.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Gwen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:49 am

My OCs are from roleplays and some are still used in private RPs with a few friends. The ones that aren't used are still there and sometimes recycled for other purposes (the most recent being my vampire character Afanasiy). Sometimes they're just fandom OCs I use for stories but nothing else (namely my Warden from Dragon Age, and my Inquisitor from DA:I. I don't roleplay the two, but I do use them for small stories once in a while). Some of mine are also Pathfinder/DnD characters that are now out of commission/no longer used for their stories, so they just are floating around now. I used to be really creative and make up characters all the time based on dreams or certain situations or crossovers, etc. Nowadays I just stick to what I've made in the past. I haven't had time for that.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 43.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby Pinstripe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 am

I also use my OCs in private RPs and writing. But back in the day when I used to draw a lot, I would come up with characters just to have someone to draw over and over. My main OC is an alternate version of a character I came up with just by drawing a lot. And now he's not really anything like that original character. My RP partner and I have written about our set of characters so much that we can write each others', so it's more like traditional writing than RP now. The thing we're working on now is still collaborative, but we're going chapter by chapter, not dividing the characters up.
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pinstripe
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 26.00

Postby mokia » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:07 am

I have a lot of different ways OC's come about. [[[note: suddenly better art is drawn by my dad]]]

There's writing OCs. Like NaNoWriMo or short stories. These are used for their respective stories and that's pretty much it, unless they have a reason to pop up elsewhere (cameos are always fun).
-
Malla, Derris and Ashlyn were created for a NaNoWriMo a few years ago that never got finished.

There's role-playing OCs. Like for online RPs or for D&D (usually with my parents).
-
Hadiah and Hyun-Jung were for D&D games. Rozenthena and Elvisti was originally created for blue's The Doors RP (sadly way dead now).
Image ImageImage

I have my contest OC's. Created for contests. Some get reused for other contests to keep themes up, some actually end up getting their own stories or what have you.
-
Sailor Palladium Nagini and Sailor Bacon were both created for a sailor scout comic contest on DA. Princess Lenora Kipling was originally made for The Steampunk Pageant in my answer to the tackiest steampunk I could muster.
Image ImageImage

Video game OCs are pretty obvious.... If games have sequels I like to reuse characters.
-
Titties for Fallout 4 and Mokia for Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Image Image

And then there's the "just for fun" OCs which come about in different ways.
-
Abigail Snow was made because I thought it'd be funny to have a snowman character. Her gimmick is that when she gets hot she "melts" aka loses weight and she hates it lol. Nellus Sillelus is my take on what it'd be like if a grown woman was a magical girl and she has the power to travel through time and space. She is on the search for her daughter (who has the same powers) who was kidnapped by Captain Jingles who is using her powers for evil.
ImageImage

OH, plus characters for other people's stuff.
-
Dreamer is actually an OC of mine for my dad's (dead) comic book.

I'm not counting OCs for actually used works, cause then they are just characters... such as Tanisha and Princess Peachbutter for my comic Broken Tree.
ImageImage
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,418.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou

Postby Phoenigette » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Shixam wrote:Anyway, depending on my mood and what I'm into, this habit of thinking up scenarios pops up when I'm bored

This is why I have OC's. I basically like to imagine short stories with them that I never write down. I have probably a zillion, with maybe four or five core ones that I've had at distinctly different stages of my life. I sometimes did fanart of them, but I noticed that characters that I find interesting in stories are not very visually interesting and characters that are visually interesting aren't diverse enough for me to throw into the dark ages just for fun.

I do have a couple OC's that are just for art, and not for stories. Actually, there's a guy on deviantart who was doing "the Pepper project" where he created an OC, Pepper, to explore different art styles and techniques. It was a really great project that I found inspiring, and some of the work that came out of it was fantastic. So if you wanted an OC, you could make one up like that; they don't need to have a backstory per se.

To be honest, though, if I'm in the mood to make OC dolls I usually steal someone else's. I think I've done more fan art of Bree's OC's than I have of my own.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,158.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby buttons » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Phoenigette wrote:I do have a couple OC's that are just for art, and not for stories. Actually, there's a guy on deviantart who was doing "the Pepper project" where he created an OC, Pepper, to explore different art styles and techniques. It was a really great project that I found inspiring, and some of the work that came out of it was fantastic. So if you wanted an OC, you could make one up like that; they don't need to have a backstory per se.

I probably would end up getting stuck on the second or third one but I love that idea!

Oddly enough, I hadn't even considered anything like D&D, ha! I love all this information though, and I love hearing about everyone's OC's and whatnot :3
buttons
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 359.00

Postby 4br4 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:08 am

*jumps in b/c OCS AHH*
My oldest OC (not in age, so much as I've had him for 10 years-which is half my life, lil dude has grown up with me!) was an FC from Inuyasha, then a clone from Ruby from Pokemon adventures, and then he splintered into his own character after that. And actually a lot of my characters (the ones I've had for a long time at least) started like that! That's actually still partially how I make characters. Very rarely, but hey it works sometimes. Just very tricky.

.I have like over 100 OC's that I documented by name on sticky notes AGES ago, (like 4 years ago?), and it's all random! Some I got from doodling people in class, some based on outfit observations, some scenarios and FC's from games, but I think the best inspiration making characters is from people. It kept me going in directions I wasn't very strong in (long hair, females, etc), and kept most of my characters from being their poor boring selves. I'd like to think I branch out from my normal oc's and while a lot have similar personality traits as me-a lot don't!

Also: randomizers are great fun! My unseen fashion muse (Zelda), was actually an entry I used in minishizzles magical girl contest!

tl;dr: OC's are great for expanding into areas you might be afraid to branch into (different sex, older or younger ages, different settings)! Try sketching down stuff you like and maybe draw someone-but try and change stuff? If that makes sense ;w;

edit:
mokia_sinhall wrote:Video game OCs are pretty obvious....
Image Image

You have no idea how saddened to hear titties didn't win the Fallout hunger games, I was rooting for you!!! xD
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 9,524.00
Formerly: Sweet Raspberry Tea

Postby mokia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:38 am

4br4 wrote:edit:
mokia_sinhall wrote:Video game OCs are pretty obvious....
Image Image

You have no idea how saddened to hear titties didn't win the Fallout hunger games, I was rooting for you!!! xD

I know! My only solace is that she died from stupidity and not by any of the other characters.
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,418.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou

Postby Captain.v2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:49 pm

LOL literally none of the characters from my RPs are still my OCs. I can't help but ignore them after I'm done with them. All the OCs I have (I think 20-something idk) are from not-so-specific times. Most of them started out as dolls I would make just to practice something (ie. a pattern, hairstyle, face edit, skin palette, clothing piece) and I just looked at them and decided their features were too good to pass us. Well, that's how I feel about the newer OCs anyways.

I mostly use my OCs to practice with new stuff tho.

My oldest OCs were the product of boredom. I had 2 OCs before I even knew what OCs were. Yknow, I kept drawing them over and over again. It pains me a lil bit because when I was a Freshman I had written so many stories about my oldest OCs and I've tried to find the ones that I posted on DA but I can't! Waah. They were so good and had so much backstory but I must've deleted them or something. It'd so sad. This has kinda given me the drive to write more though, so thank you. :)
Captain.v2
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 122.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell

Postby batgirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm similar to Captain. I do not role play or write. My OC's are like my muses, especially Melantha, who was my first OC. My three lady muses are there to play around with, put them in different outfits and doll when I feel like it. They are all from very different universes and era's which is fun to play with too.
batgirl
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 6,582.00
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Postby Krahka » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 am

So I have about a bazillion OCs. Last count was 103, not including older ones that I've abandoned entirely and counting AU versions of the same character as different characters.

The vast majority of these are for video games, with a side of tabletop and internet text based RP and at least two LARP characters. I also RP with a lot of my video game characters, and that's got especially bad ever since I started playing MMORPGs, where I RP like a fiend. (By which I mean I stick to my friends and barely venture out except to IC crash people's IC parties and either get kicked out or become best friends or they ignore me or one of those things.)

I also have original characters in original stories I'm writing, but those are mostly hypothetical, since in those cases, I tend to go hard on worldbuilding and never really figure out much detail beyond using them as a center to build stuff around.
Krahka
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 78.00
AKA: Sahrot Kulaas Se Dov

Return to Tabloids