Holiday Spirit

Chatter about anything and everything.

Holiday Spirit

Postby zili-minikincrafts » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Christmas eve is upon us in 20 days and I'm still not in the spirit for the holidays.

I'm not feeling it because last year was my first year way from my family for the holidays as we (the bf and I) are obligated to be at his mom's on Christmas. We saw my family the day after. But on Christmas last year bf and I had our first fight too he took my response to "how was christmas with my family?" of "It was good" to mean "it sucked and I hate you" when really it meant "It was good but I miss my family." Because now we do none of my family's traditions :(

this year even though we have a house rather than an apartment and have the space to put up a tree we aren't because well I don't know why. I budgeted for a small artificial tree and after saying we'd get one there was some tension between us and the roommates and it looks like we aren't going to do our own christmas thing here. There's absolutely no decorations up around the house, christmas or otherwise and it saddens me.

This year we are seeing my family during the day on Christmas Eve, his uncle's party that night, his mom's on Christmas day, and his dad's that night.

I can't even decorate my "classroom" at work because I teach in a storage room in the back of a library in a temporary mobile home/building set up while the actual school is under construction this year.

So lets talk about getting into the spirit of the holidays, what are some traditions you and your's have?

Every year growing up my mom and dad would gift me and my brothers on christmas eve with a new nutcracker. Each of our nutcrackers would be themed to something that we like. When I was teaching French I was given a nutcracker with a chef's hat, a turkey, and a sign that said "Bon Appite". My lil brother got one with a sword for his love of rpg and my older brother's had a drum since he plays drums.

They also get us a new ornament each year for the tree with the idea that when we moved out we'd take them with us to decorate our own trees (due to a lack of car space to move everything all my christmas stuff is still with my parents). A couple of years ago my mom got us a set of Harry Potter ornaments. My little brother recieved Harry since he looks like him, my older brother got Hagrid (because he's a big furry giant), and I got Hermionie (mainly because mom couldn't find luna, but also because I grew up an outcasted bookworm with very frizzy hair lol).

Christmas morning mom would also make pancakes! yum! sadly this is one tradition that wont be the same anymore as my dietary issues prevent me from enjoying the exact original recipe I used to help mom put together, also my boyfriend hates pancakes.
zili-minikincrafts
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 128.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://wish04.deviantart.com/

Re: Holiday Spirit

Postby Lolita » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:54 pm

My Christmas is a little different this year. I'm going to my dads while the rest of the family is going to Guatemala. Because they still want to give me presents we are opening them and having our Christmas eve tradition early. What we do is make a dinner we think would have been eaten at the time of Christ and eat it while watching the nativity movie. Tis fun and tasty.
Lolita
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 525.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby druxy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Let's see. My first 'holiday tradition' is groaning about anyone who puts up decorations too early. That means that about this time next week I will stop complaining, because two weeks before is completely reasonable. Another thing I have as a 'tradition' is getting annoyed when random strangers say "happy xmas" at me, because... how do they know what holidays I do or don't celebrate?
But, those are certainly not what you meant, heh. In much more pleasant terms, there's always my dad saying the phrase "non-denominational winter holiday" at least once(which is a phrase I made up in elementary school, that's why it's funny) and of course xmas dinner which is MASSIVE and DELICIOUS and will hopefully involve roast potatoes because... roast potatoes. Roast potatoes are the food of gods. We also get xmas crackers every year we can find them(which is most years, because we keep an eye out year round), and dinner involves inviting lots of people, which this year might include my best friend! Maybe if he can come, he might be able to stay overnight too, which means he would get to share in the leftovers. Oh, and my mom usually also makes trifle for xmas, though I don't know if she'll have time this year.
druxy
Extra
Extra

Diamonds on hand: 0.00

Postby mokia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 pm

That sucks that you aren't having a good christmas time. I know that feeling. One year my depression was so bad I took down all my christmas decorations on christmas eve because I was so morose. :C

Anyway, my family's tradition is to write weird things on the tags to each other. It started when one year my dad gave my stepmom a present that said "To: Pickle Tits, From: Your Sweet Gherkin" haha.

Here are some highlights from last year:
ImageImageImage

We also used to do an upside-down christmas tree (mostly to save space), but I can't find my picture of it.
mokia
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 10,416.00
AKA: Nerdier Than Thou
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Delinya » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 am

Well its going to be slightly bittersweet this year, we lost my granmother this summer, so its going to be wierd without her, chistmas is a big deal in my family so i tear up just thinking about it.

But we have a tonnn of traditions, like, decorate on december 1th every year, advent gifts and christmas calender on tv( tv shows with 1 episode each day in december untill the 24th) and baking a awful lot of cookies, we celebrate christmas on the 24th, normally we put rice porridge on the attic for the christmas elf/santa on the 23rd(too old now to do it) we eat a bucketload of food on the 24th like, duck pork roast, potatoes, gravy and risalamande..a complete danish christmas dinner.
ofcourse afterwards we dance around the tree and sing carols and then we put on pj's and open presents.. and watch christmas tv. next day we eat leftovers and just generally relax...

oh yea, and christmas parties are nice, very traditional food most of the time, the avrage amount of parties are atleast 2-5 a year starting in november and all the way to january, this year i have.. one in my family, my team at work, work in general, the large team at work, my student unionx2 (local and national) and my study group.. mostly with great food and schnaps

Oddly enough does religion play a very very small part in this(like none at all) and its rather uncommon to even go to church on christmas eve too..
Delinya
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 416.00

Postby Phoenigette » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Zili, I think if you're sad without having any decorations you should put some up. Even if you can't do a Christmas tree because it will cause friction, you could maybe do a wreath instead?

My family makes cookies every year, that's our biggest thing by far, so I'll be doing that. I have some interesting dairy free and grain free challenges this year, so that'll be interesting.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,040.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby zili-minikincrafts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Mokia your family's gift tag tradition cracked me up!

I'm liking all the happy traditions I'm seeing :D

Unforutantely Phoenigette we don't have any decorations with us at the house and my boyfriend doesn't want me buying any since I have plenty at mom and dad's in the attic and garage we just wont be visiting until Christmas eve so I wont have any to put up :( He did say (at the suggestion of his brother's girlfriend) to snatch up an artificial tree after the holidays are over for cheap to put up next year. (After a lot of talking we've also decided we aren't going to room with his nephew next year as its become to stressful emotionally and financially, to the point that the stress has made me sick to my stomach).

One tradition (baking cookies) will get to happen this year and I'm excited! Boyfriend's brother's girlfriend loves to bake and has felt guilty for not being able to bake for me when she bakes for everyone else so she's invited me over during the break to hang out with her and her kids and bake lots of batches of cookies including gluten free versions for me :D

*thinking about the decoration thing I might spend some time after work today making some decor to go around the house...even if its not full blown winter wonder land the place looks kinda dead, we don't even have pictures on the walls currently.
zili-minikincrafts
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Phoenigette » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:38 pm

You could cut out snowflakes and tape them on the windows. Printer paper works fine, and wrapping paper is a colorful alternative (though slightly more flimsy). My mom's quite good at it, actually; that's another thing we do for the holidays.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)

Bang, baby!
Phoenigette
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 18,040.00
AKA: Batty's Slave

Postby zili-minikincrafts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Don't have any printer paper, just enough wrapping paper for the gifts, but I do have some damaged books I've used decent pages out of to create other crafts and its two birds with one stone... boyfriend hates books and would love to rip some pages out of a book so I'll let him destroy my already damaged ones XD

look what I found on google:
Snowflakes from book pages
Paper ornaments (I could make a garland out of these)

*facepalms* I'm a derp-a-saurus... string art with yarn on the wall with thumbtacks = instant Christmas Tree!!! I'm so going to that when I get home this afternoon. Update: sad day turns out my green yarn is still at mom's! :(
zili-minikincrafts
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Return to Tabloids