Call in for a little help!
Sweets
Cast
Cast
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: http://thehword.deviantart.com/

Digital Painting

Post by Sweets » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 pm

I've been thinking about trying my hand at digital painting. Can anyone point me towards some decent beginning tutorials?

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Digital Painting

Post by Parker » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm going to assume that you're a total beginner and give you resources that range from the very basic to higher levels. I have also chosen to classify them under two different headings: techniques and tools and art fundamentals.

TECHNIQUES AND TOOLS
These are meant to cover the tools you can use to paint an image (what they do, their settings, etc.) It also includes tutorials on different painting and illustration techniques like blending. I have included some tool shading tutorials since tool shading involves the same techniques as miniature painting.

1) An Intro to Tooling: THE TOOLS. I made a little tutorial for GLAM a long time ago. It is very basic, but it can help you find your way around the brush tool, which is the key tool when painting.
2) A Basic Guide to Tooling. Another short tutorial for GLAM covering the process I follow for shading my dolls. I've developed my techniques from painting tutorials, so there may be some tips in there that can help you.
3) VIDEO - Digital Painting: Blending Your Edges parts ONE and TWO.
4) VIDEO - Ultimate Digital Color Blending Tutorial. If you choose to use the "add water" option, in Photoshop that effect can be achieved by selecting the smudge tool and enabling "scattering" in the "brushes" window.
5) VIDEO - Painting & Art Style - with Batman. A short tutorial covering different art styles using different tools.
6) Complete 'Digital Painting' and 'GIMP' Tutorial. A tutorial covering how to paint a portrait using GIMP. All techniques can be easily adapted to other programs.

USER GUIDES
- Photoshop's User Guide. If you're using Photoshop, take a look at the help section. People tend to ignore it, and everything Photoshop is already covered there. It has tool descriptions, practice activities that you can replicate, demos and all sorts of good stuff that can help you get acquainted with your program. If you don't use Photoshop, consider taking a look at it anyway, since most of these techniques are easily adaptable to GIMP.
- (Fire)Alpaca School. FireAlpaca is a little program, similar to MediBang Pro and with some Paint Tool SAI vibes. It's not as complete as GIMP or Krita, but it's fast, doesn't lag and has some nice surprises. Also it says on their site that "it's free... FOREVER!"
- How to Use MediBang Pro. MediBang Pro is FireAlpaca's buff brother. It's bigger and comes with more features.
-GIMP Tutorials. Gimp's help page isn't as direct as Photoshop's but there's still plenty of interesting bits in there. Remember that GIMP also comes with a user's manual that you can download from their site. Youtube also has some interesting videos showing how you can edit photos or paint in GIMP.
- Krita Education. This is Krita's help section: it includes a manual for the latest version and different tutorials on how to get things done with the program. Krita is mostly a painting and illustration software so you may want to take a look around.

ART FUNDAMENTALS
If you're new to painting or art in general or simply rusty, these can be helpful. I'm guessing this are not exactly what you had in mind, but they are better than any step by step guide you can think of. They cover concepts like edges, contrast or colour, and give you some tips and examples to understand how they work and what you can do with them in your art.

1) Painting Fundamentals by Marco Bucci covers all the very basics of painting. Many of these concepts (lights, shadows, edges...) appear in his other videos above, and they can be found in other painting tutorials out there. Take this as an introductory crash course for digital painting.
2) The 10 Minutes to Better Paintings series. The title gives it away: a series of ten minute videos that focus on one aspect of painting. It covers how to convey volume, how to use colour or how to communicate visually through your art.
3) The Relative Color and the Absolute Color. This is a guide covering how to choose colours for a painting. The examples use a comic to illustrate this, but the same applies to all visual products. The terms "absolute" and "relative" refer to the context of an item, in this case, colour. The term "absolute" refers to the properties of a colour in isolation; think of the mental image we have of colours like red, orange or blue: they're vibrant and very distinct. The term "relative" places the colours within a context: in a night scene where the main hues are blues and purples, your reds will have traces of blue in them; they will lean towards garnet or dark pink. It's a more sophisticated version of the "never use pure black or white in paintings, use beige or dark blues instead" line.
4) Design, Color & Value and Idea. A tutorial covering how to use colour and values to build your image's composition.

I'm going to stop here for now. If anything is unclear or there's something else you're missing in this list, let me know. I'm a big tutorial hoarder, so I may have something to help you.

Sweets
Cast
Cast
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: http://thehword.deviantart.com/

Re: Digital Painting

Post by Sweets » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Thank you so so so much! I've attempted digital painting before, but didn't do as well as I hoped. So, I figured it would be a good idea to research the "how". I do have a decent understanding of adobe products (went to school for graphic design). I've been dolling/pixel art for over a decade (off and on), which I prefer tooling, & traditional painting is a passion of mine (I'm thinking it's not a huge leap).
As far as being a tutorial hoarder same here.

Return to “Phone Booth”