Call in for a little help!
IndigoPerspective
Stand-in
Stand-in
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://radiuhoh.deviantart.com/

Photoshop CS5 Help!! DESPERATE.

Post by IndigoPerspective » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 pm

For anyone who uses CS5, I really need your help with this!

The paint bucket tool keeps flooding my entire layer with the foreground color...instead of filling the few pixels I clicked on. The only loophole around this dilemma that I have found in the past 30 minutes is to use the lasso tool to separate what I want colored and what I don't want colored. But who wants to sit and circle each and every little pixel? Even in MS Paint people use the bucket tool for things like this.

I've tried messing with the opacity, checking and unchecking anti-aliasing, contiguous, and all-layers check boxes. The tool is not set in pattern mode. I've tried looking on youtube, and searching google...I figured if anyone would be able to help me set the tool properly, it would be someone in the actual dolling community.

Maybe someone can give me their paint bucket tool settings and that would solve my problem? This is so frustrating I'm ready to put my project down again.

P/S: I am used to using photoshop; but I upgraded from cs3 to cs5 when I bought my new computer. I've been tweaking tool presets as I come across anything strange...but I wasn't expecting to have such trouble with the bucket. If it helps to clarify, I'm on a mac.

Penty
Celebrity
Celebrity
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: Photoshop CS5 Help!! DESPERATE.

Post by Penty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I don't have CS5, so take this with a grain of salt, but have you tried lowering tolerance? For pixel stuff I keep mine at zero.

If all else fails, you could try the magic wand (tolerance zero, anti-alias off), which should at least be faster than the lasso.
pining for the fjords
SITE???? | dA

OneSmartChicken
Super star
Super star
AKA: Two Piece Chicken Suit
Avatar Base: http://ubiique.deviantart.com/

Post by OneSmartChicken » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 am

It's probably what Penty said about the tolerance(I have CS5 but I don't actually use the flood fill on there...) You can also use the color select tool; I know that's pretty much my favorite tool. ^^ Good luck though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
I'm collecting chicken things. Indeed.

Glam. Kssh. Ksssh. I am your rooster. Kssh. Kssh. Join me kssh on the feather side. -Darth Rooster

IndigoPerspective
Stand-in
Stand-in
Avatar Base: http://radiuhoh.deviantart.com/

Post by IndigoPerspective » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:35 am

@Penty: Yeah, the tolerance is at 0 for me too. I'm starting to believe the tool is just messed up for life lol. Thank you for reminding me to check. :)

@OneSmartChicken: I'll definitely try using the color select tool, thank you for the suggestion. :)

Kalitrima
Cast
Cast

Post by Kalitrima » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:26 pm

I. . . have no idea what it might be. D: I wish I did. Then again, I'm three versions behind you. Though would using the wand tool and alt+backspace work until it gets solved? It might be easier than lasso!

Edit: Or would it be the, uh, option key thing? Sorry, Windows user here. >__>;;
Aw, I miss my little bicycle.

Wayuki
Cast
Cast

Post by Wayuki » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 am

Have you accidentally unchecked the "Contiguous" box?
Av doll and base by me

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Parker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 am

Well, do you work with several layers? It could be that you're using it in the wrong layer, say you have a dress in layer 1 and hair in layer 2, if you try to fill in the dress pixels on layer 2 you will get the new colour all over the layer. Also, if you're trying to fill an outline, make sure there are no broken lines or it will do the same. You can always lock the transparency of the layer on the layers palette (right under the blending modes of the layers you will see four icons: a square, a brush, a cross and a padlock, the first icon locks the transparency)

If all this fails, try restoring the tool in the tools options in the menu bar.

Return to “Phone Booth”