11%

Total votes: 9

Daenerys
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Role play site ideas...?

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 am

I used to write for role plays a lot; through email or forums, and even a Yahoo group thingy. I miss it, and I have not been able to find a good, stable RP site/forum to hang out at.

So I am now setting up my own. I have too many ideas and I need some direction. So help me out by telling me what YOU would be interested in as an RP setting... I have given examples of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but I am looking to create an original roleplay setting, which gives writer-players a lot of freedom. I will not be making a rp based on a book or film.

And if you have some really good ideas, and always wanted to be part of an rp group that stuck around, feel free to pm me for more info.

I'd appreciate a vote and a comment, but either is fine!

edit by request: link is Steamhawke
Last edited by Daenerys on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
:: To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit ::

kesra
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Re: Role play site ideas...?

Post by kesra » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:49 am

It sounds like your passion lies in creating the rp site rather than the rp itself. Hold off on making the site until you get a solid idea of your own that you're passionate about. Having us make suggestions may give great options for you but unless you're incredibly motivated to run such a site it's going to flop.

Good luck!

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:53 am

I see your point, and yes, if I had not been roleplaying for a long long time before this, I'd say you are right.

But I am setting up my own, because I can't find a place to roleplay anymore. I want to. But I can't find it. I can roleplay anything. I have done so. I have roleplayed in a p.irate rpg, star trek, vampire/werewolves (pre-twilight, thank goodness), medieval thieves, and steampunk/magic.

I can create a whole world on my own, but it is no fun unless I have people to write with. I want to find people who LIKE being able to have influence on the world we arecreating together.

I started roleplaying 10 years ago. I think I know about writing, I think I am quite capable of setting up a site about it :)

Marleaux
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
AKA: Marly Oh-Oh-O's
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by Marleaux » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I picked like LOTR + some undead 'cause I wanna play Cerradura XD Would also love to see an almost New York but non magical setting. Too many RPs have magic :T

Sidenote: I haven't seen a good vampire one in a long time!
My spawn

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Five would be happy with an undead/zombie rpg. He has written a zombie survival game in mIRC script, to play on irc. Once bitten, you slowly turn into a zombie, and if lucky enough, you get to play as a zombie, attacking the rest of the survivors :P

If we go for a modern day version, there will be something special going on. Whether that will be classed as HP magic or just mythical creatures, I dunno. I will keep an undead-option in mind... with vampires...

kesra
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Post by kesra » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:51 pm

It was only a word of caution. It's been my experience that when someone picks a solid idea they are passionate about, the content shows that passion. A great idea, well written posts, and a great staff will draw people to the site, no matter what the subject is. YOU are going to be the driving force. YOU are what's going to make this site successful.

I'm sorry if I seem like a downer. I really don't mean to be. When having others decide what the site is about, however, feels like you're selling your own ideas short. Trust your instincts. I KNOW you can make something incredible. The best sites are run by people who are passionate about the subject matter. It's not just a beginner's mistake. I've seen people who have been rping longer than I have make it too.

Then there's the possibility that I'm reading too far in to this (I've been role playing for a while myself. I've seen all kinds of spins on this sort of situation). You could simply be looking for inspiration, something to ignite the spark which I can totally understand as well. In THAT case, have you considered poking around RPG-D? I know there's all kinds of board ideas and such there to look at.

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:09 pm

I am not familiar with RPG-D... I googled it and it gave me RPG-Dungeon? is that a forum mod (like Dungeons and Rabbits?)? Or is it a directory of sorts?

The thing is, I know where you are coming from, because I have seen plenty of rpg's die. This is why I want to know what would make people come and join in. Setting is very important. I could write on my own, or with my other half (and we have done that), but we've had the best time when we create something in a larger group. We like the freedom that gives.

We've also written in very strict settings, and we've found that we can't write like that. I can also see how a strict setting, with lots of direction on what and how to write, can be great for some writers. I could come up with a great idea and setting and then leave no room for improvement. That would only scare away the kind of writer-players I want to attract.

Unfortunately, being the driving force is not going to make something succeed, I have found. we've started quite a few things we were driven about, and unless people participate, it just is not going to work. I will save my mindless passion for my dolls site, which is a testament to how much I enjoy dolling and the community, and yet is not a very popular site (which is fine, now. I don't mind.).

But in a way I am passionate about this site: I want to find a group of people to write with, for longer than 3 months. That's all.

But do you have a url to RPG-D? Or something? Never hurts to look at some more stuff :)

OKami_hu
Gaffer
Gaffer
AKA: Hungarian Slash Queen

Post by OKami_hu » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Have you looked around MUSHes/MUDs...? I recently did and there are several that go on since quite a while.
Aywas, the better pet site.

Shop: Image

Av & sig are done by me; Av base is Glam exclusive.

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Muds are nice, but roleplaying in real time is not what I am after. I want time to write a little scene, with time to write in descriptions, thoughts, feelings. Real time role playing is not something I can do. I just get giggly and start to say weird stuff. I usually edit the weird stuff out of my posts (Because fun weird is good. But I tend to be random weird, which can be offensive.)

bookhobbit
Super star
Super star
Avatar Base: http://tinyurl.com/pyrochan

Post by bookhobbit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Man. This is a difficult choice, you've got some great setting ideas up there.
I voted for steampunk just because steampunk is fun but I'd also join up in a heartbeat for any of the others. Especially fantasy, because I have all kinds of fantasy-appropriate characters running around.
I shall be watching you. -shady stalker-eyes-

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 am

Well, so far we've come up with a world that concentrates mainly on pirates, with a twist of steampunk and fantasy. It's all still 'up in the air' and 'the sky is the limit', but I am building a framework on which writer-players are supposed to expand.

Did I mention we are building a mini wiki as well?

I need to start getting some artwork done :)

Hatshepsut
Super star
Super star
AKA: Sexiest Pharaoh

Post by Hatshepsut » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm

I voted for the modern day fantasy.
When you're done making the site, would you edit the post with a link? ^^''
I'm very interested! >u<

bookhobbit
Super star
Super star
Avatar Base: http://tinyurl.com/pyrochan

Post by bookhobbit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I second the request for an eventual link!

Hatshepsut
Super star
Super star
AKA: Sexiest Pharaoh

Post by Hatshepsut » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Yayz. xD

Daenerys
Super star
Super star

Post by Daenerys » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:46 am

I will put up a link when it is available :) Even if you don't want to play or write, it will be open to readers.

Fortunately I have help with writing basic background information; Five is writing too. The site is functional, and slowly filling up, but not quite ready for public use :P

We are taking the story in a fantasy direction, with pirates and steampunk influences. There will be a few different types of people to choose, and the land will have several nations, some of which can be added by players.

We are striving to make it easy to make a character based on the lore of the land, as well as leave some room for unusual characters. You can pick a character aboard a ship or on land. And that is all I am revealing for now :P

Return to “Phone Booth”