Pricing help!? D:

Call in for a little help!
FingerlickinChickin
Supporting Role
Supporting Role
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell

Pricing help!? D:

Post by FingerlickinChickin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:20 pm

So I recently got a request seeking to commission me for a titlecard/illustration for a podcast their doing. Approximate size 1024x736 or 736x1024. He asked me what price I would charge for something like that, but then he said he would like to see it be done all in pixel art. o3o Now, I've never used a canvas that big, let alone for regular digital art. So I figure it would be very time-consuming to do it in pixel art.

So I was wondering if you guys would know/help me out with a sort of price?
Details of the commission:

"The detail would be St. Therese of Lisieux, Ven Fulton Sheen, and St. Francis Xavier all talking in a recording studio all talking into a microphone with the title "In Medias Res" somewhere near the middle but, not messing with the aesthetic and also to be done in pixel art preferably."

this size of drawing;
http://sta.sh/01hg6rm64sdf
or this one;
http://sta.sh/0p31x5fep7w
This is the rough (incredibly rough lol) concept art I have for it (had to zoom out a bit)
http://sta.sh/01hy1perlj3c
and this is the style I would be doing it in Image
Now I don't want to scare this person away with a big price as I would really love to get into commission work, but I also don't want to underprice my work on such a big task, (i'm a little scared I won't be able to do it, but it sounds sooo fun! TT_TT) SO what price would you guys think appropriate?

Or should I offer to try doing it in regular digital art style asfgshdktjr I don't know :S

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Pricing help!? D:

Post by Parker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 am

I would start by figuring out how much time you're going to invest on it and the resources you need. That will be your base price, which covers production costs, you need to add to it to get benefits. Google commission prices or wages of freelance illustrators, or simply "How to price commissions". I found this guide, and from what I saw on the Google results, there are many more focusing on pricing.

Pinstripe
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by Pinstripe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:59 pm

I don't have much to add on to what Parker said, but I just wanted to say that that's giant! I agree that timing yourself and giving yourself a fair wage per hour is the way to go. If you have no idea how long it'll take, maybe time yourself on a personal piece and adjust based on how much longer you think it'll take to do the commission?
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FingerlickinChickin
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by FingerlickinChickin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:15 pm

Ah! I see what you mean! Thanks so much for the info guys!

It took my approx. 5 hours to do the St. Therese piece up there.

So if I took lets say, 4 hours on each of the 3 figures
Then on the background, table, and lettering and final details about 6 more.
That's about 18-20 hours to create it. >-<
Now if I did $5 per hour that would still amount to something as high as $100.
So I think I might offer something like $40? but then at the same time offer to do the commission in digital art for a much lower price. I'll explain that doing pixel art takes me 2x (if not longer) the amount of time it would take to do regular digital art.

I shall message him later on to talk about it, as I'm not on the right computer xD
Thanks for the help guys. Pricing is the main reason why I don't do much commissions. It's too confusing and people end up not wanting it after I tell them the price :/

FingerlickinChickin
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Post by FingerlickinChickin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 pm

holy shibadiba dibwad he accepted the $40 for pixel.

This is gonna be some tough work, but I'm so excited! And I'm especially excited to be able to be part of a site like this. Once I get started I hope to be able to post some WIPs of my progress, and if you guys have any cc I would be more than happy to hear it! Also need to desperately work on some male anatomy!

Return to “Phone Booth”