How do you stay focused on drawings/projects

Call in for a little help!

How do you stay focused on drawings/projects

Postby FingerlickinChickin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 pm

I've always been a terrible procrastinator. Once I start on one drawing idea, I get bored with that one and come up with 10 more half-finished drawings. Kinda like cutting off 1 head of a hydra xD

I really want to be more focused and actually finish each project--one at a time-- but it gets sooooo hard to stay put on one drawing and persevere.

So I was just wondering if you guys had any tips to fight procrastination, laziness and/or boredom with a piece? Any and all help is appreciated in advance!

:bob:
FingerlickinChickin
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 316.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell

Re: How do you stay focused on drawings/projects

Postby 4br4 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 pm

I have to go to work in a minute so hopefully this is coherent??

Any who, a major thing I do to start projects is I make it a big deal to myself. The project gets files and I get organized, I get a sketchbook JUST for that project, or I leave it on my desktop with only the projects I'm doing (and usually I set a limit with pixel dolls on my desktop-no more than 5).

but it's a-ok to have doodles! Doodles lead to creativity and it's ok to have more ideas and such, maybe cut them out & doodle them in a separate sketchbook or file? idk but psyching yourself up by treating it as priority works for me, idk if it works for everyone, but good luck!
and I hope this made sense ahh;;;;
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 9,524.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Sweet Raspberry Tea

Postby Mogget » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:06 pm

I look for inspiration, be it through music or images, that help me get into the mindset of the project at hand.
If my project inspires me it helps keep my attention focused
Mogget
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 19,517.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby H|F » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:08 am

If you tend to make a sketch and then come up with another idea consider either sketching to warm up intentionally deleting what you don't use or even having a larger canvas with a few sketches on it and decide what you will work on first. If you end up not ever using a sketch think of why you like it enough to keep it, then you could just make another one to incorporate that idea.

Never be afraid of deleting sketches or dead-end works. I will say however that I have had base sketches sit for months and end up as a published base in the end.

I also should let you know it is SO important to keep organized, if you feel unorganized and overwhelmed by the amount of files it will literally block you artistically. Always, always keep things neat or projects might be forgotten in the shuffle.

These are some of the things I do. Lastly, I don't force it and if I have to walk away or even end up working on a project months later I let it happen because it will almost always turn out so much better with natural artistic flow.

Good luck and stay inspired!
Heather | Age 25 | AV base by Kakuzu Chan
BASE
Want to see where I started?
Spoiler: show

Bases by Wayuki

All of these are bases from The Doll Palace

H|F
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 314.00
AKA: The Black Sheep
Dolling Style: Pixel

Postby FingerlickinChickin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Woah! Thanks a lot guys! Tbh I kinda forgot about this thread ;_; But first lemme say this is actually incredibly helpful!
I think a common thread in what you guys said is being more organized, and assigning folders and files to the project I'm working on.
I am terribly terribly unorganized H|F, and come to think of it that's a big reason I tend to get overwhelmed and stop what I'm doing or move on to something else. I have about 300+ drawings in one folder, most of them unfinished and ranging from years ago to just today as well as in completely different styles. And my program doesn't let me see thumbnails, so it's basically a big mess XD

Also the advice about warming up with sketches intending to delete them is also a really good idea, hopefully it'll make me less attatched to things I probably wont use. I feel like I almost have to keep everything I draw and have to finish it for some bizarre reason. I guess I'm a drawing hoarder? lol. When I have projects what I usually do is procrastinate until the last minute and then like you said I end up trying to force it. I hope maybe being more organized will help me stop procrastinating, and then maybe I'll have more time to let it come more naturally.

Tbh I'm not really sure how to go about organizing it, so I was just wondering how you guys generally organize your files? Do you put them in folders based on the style or subject matter?
I think I might try organizing them first by putting them in folders based on the year they were created, then maybe put subfolders in those by subject matter (like pixel art, semi-realism, studies, finished works, etc?)

Again though, thanks you guys so much for all the advice!
FingerlickinChickin
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 316.00
Dolling Style: Pixel and Cell

Return to Phone Booth