Intimidated about dolling. Advice?

Call in for a little help!

Intimidated about dolling. Advice?

Postby whimzybell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Hey guys so I have a bit of a silly problem really. I really want to doll again but I haven't been able to get myself to actually do anything because I am feeling so intimidated.

All of the stuff I have been seeing on here and DA is so good and so beautiful and I wasnt that great back in the day and now everyone is like just so amazing and its pretty intimidating!

The logical side of me knows that with time and practice I will be good and all that but the inner teenager is just like shut up you suck. I know its silly I blame a lot of it on my dang anxiety it really effects you in so many ways that you dont realize. Like I have just deleted 3 different things i've done because of this and now im to the point that i basically keep coming up with reasons to not even try.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or something like it and if so how did you overcome it?
I know this is something I will have to overcome but I thought maybe someone else might have gone through some jitters when coming back or even just getting into the dolling world. Any advice is welcome thanks in advanced!
whimzybell
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 112.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://www.2blondes.nl/

Re: Intimidated about dolling. Advice?

Postby MelianAlcarime » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I experience this every time I sit down to start a doll. For me, it's generally the same reason you have; everyone is so awesome and I think I won't come anywhere close, but I want to. AxxKat taught me how to overcome it. It may not work for you, but give it a try. It may help.

Work on a doll in two sessions. Session one, go into it knowing that you're not finishing it today, so it doesn't need to look nice. Just make sure that you lay the groundwork for the whole doll. Get base colors in the shape of all your clothing/hair/bg (if you have one). It doesn't need to be perfect yet, just a "base". Save your work in progress, and put it down.

Session two, you aren't going into it looking at a blank base or canvas. You have something to work from. In session two you can refine, do your light/shadows, and add any finishing touches. If say the shirt just doesn't look right, feel free to delete all your shading for it and try over with a new technique.

That's what I do. I even take it a step further, and before I even do session one, there's a prologue of sorts. I set up my document, put some reference materials in it, put a base in it, and some color inspiration. Then I put it down. xD

I am not the best dollist on this forum (by far), and this is how I overcome my confidence issues to make art. Your mileage may vary. :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MelianAlcarime
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 250.00

Re: Intimidated about dolling. Advice?

Postby whimzybell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Thank you so much! That is wonderful advice!! I am going to try this tonight. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me. I have an idea for an OC I really want to do and I am going to write down things about her and really get into the feel of it then try what you said and see where it gets me. Thank you so much!
whimzybell
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 112.00
Avatar Base: http://www.2blondes.nl/

Return to Phone Booth