Oscars given for outstanding Pixel Art.

Moderator: Phoenigette

Em
Super Star
Super Star

Pixel of the Month September '08!

Post by Em » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:37 am

This month's winner is BoB_is_Cool!

Can you tell us what inspired you to pixel a naked lady?
Naked ladies! XP I was working on a doll or something that just wasn't working so I decided to take a break and do something completley different. Sometimes when you break from what you have to do, to do something that you want to do, it comes out real nice.

She seems to have a very haunting look on her face that gives the whole piece a lot of emotion and depth. Was this intentional or did you just accidentally make such an awesome expression?
I took it from a reference so I tried to make the expression the model had on her. But I tired to choose the most interesting picture I could find and I think it is important to give something depth to artwork.

It looks like a lot of work went into the colors you used. Can you tell us a bit about the process you took to get your palettes? Did you use any specific tricks you could share with us?
I knew you would ask something like that :lol: My method of choosing colors is always choose-as-I-go. I always have one basic color and then branch off to whichever value and shade I need. I sometimes use colors I have already used but not too often. I end up with a whole mess of colors by the end of a pixel project! I tried to re-use as little colors as I could with this project but...after a while that idea went out the window.

Is there any single element that you like best out of the entire piece? Why is that your favorite, if you have a reason?
I like her knees. I was really worried about the forshottened view and how complicated knees look but I think it turned out really well. The shoulder is pretty neat too.

Is there anything you wish you could change about this piece, or something you wish you'd done differently?
That hand annoys me. It annoys everyone who sees it. Everyone would be all "nice but whats up with that hand?" Even my mom had to chime in. The lip is really weird. I think that I got it pretty close to the models lip but...anything to make the peice work I guess.
Last edited by Em on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Av by Hollay

Please do not PM Em for any reason; contact any of the other moderators instead!

LadyHazy
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Post by LadyHazy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Congratulations! I loved this one to pieces. Talk about hyperrealism in pixel - wow! :)

Return to “Best Pixel Art”