Art of The Month July '08!

Oscars given for outstanding Digital or Traditional Work.

Moderator: Phoenigette

Art of The Month July '08!

Postby Em » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 am

[align=center]This month's winner is Chama!

Tell us, what inspired you to make this piece?
I was actually just making portraits for my characters, for a page on my website. Simple enough. :]]

What made you choose a portrait pose? Do you enjoy making faces, was it the detail you could add or something completely different? I did a portrait because I -do- love drawing faces! Also, maybe because I'm a bit lazy... I find a portrait to be much faster than anything else. I also like drawing the facial expressions of my characters to sort of show their personality just by a glance, so I hope I got it with him.

The faces on your works are always so unique and striking. How long did it take you to master drawing facial details, or are you still working on mastering them?
Really? XD I never thought this of my stuff. I'm definitely still learning. I'm going to school for illustration, but I'm far from professional and I've got a ways to go. I've only taken one portrait class, but I practise constantly on my own. Even though the faces are from my head, I try to take what I've learned drawing from life and apply it to my own style. :]

This guy is obviously pretty cool to hang around with, but what is his story? If he doesn't have one, what do you think it would be?
He doesn't have a background story, just a lot of personality. He started out as just a name for one of my ball-jointed dolls. I bought Jaehee a pair of tiny red glasses, then jokingly decided he liked tea and scarves, and it just kept growing from there -_-; My imagination won't stop. Even the tiny cactus on my table has a personality, so that's really it for Jaehee. He sort of took off running and now I doodle him all the time. (*hides doodles*)
I think if he did have a background story it wouldn't be anything too adventurous or exciting. He's a pretty relaxed guy; he takes things as they come but doesn't go out looking for the unexpected, you know? He's just a cool guy. 8D

There are so many details and intricate design-work on this piece, but are there any things you wish you'd changed now?
Oh, definitely, almost everything. I wish I'd done cleaner linework but I was being lazy, I wish I knew how to make some areas in my colour shading sharper, there's this bit down by his scarf where it didn't get coloured properly because I forgot to scroll down and was zoomed in too far. I feel like the whole thing's actually kind of sloppy, but I was experimenting with colours so I can sort of forgive myself.

Thank you guys so much for voting for my portrait. ; w; There was a lot of awesome art to choose from so I feel very honored;;;

[/align]
Last edited by Em on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Av by Hollay

Please do not PM Em for any reason; contact any of the other moderators instead!
Em
Super Star
Super Star

Diamonds on hand: 500.00

Postby Laithwen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 am

Congratulations, Chama! Breathtaking coloring on this, as always. You completely deserve this award! :mrgreen:
Laithwen
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 859.00

Postby Nikimuk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:06 am

Congratulations Chama! :mrgreen: Keep up the great work! :D
Flavored Milk | My deviantart

Base by Hollay

Sorry for my bad English. I'm Italian .__."
Nikimuk
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Danielle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 pm

Congratulations!

Its a really stunning piece ... I love how rich the colors are 8)
[align=center]Av & av base : Hollay [/align][align=center]Image[/align]
Danielle
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Neneka » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Grats Chama! <3
I love the colors, and he has such beautiful lips.
Neneka
Extra
Extra

Postby LA-Fairy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:23 pm

If the pixel otm is what I voted for too, I'll just fall out of my chair LOL

Love the drawing Chama. The colors are incredible!
[align=center]Image
Bases; Ava/Sig
Fairysdream|| Fairys Dust[/align]
LA-Fairy
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby LadyHazy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Lol. The personality fashioned for him sure shows through this painting XD

Congratulations!
LadyHazy
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 47.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Heartsdesire » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 pm

hes lovely and I just love the colors used you can see allot of work went into this congradulations and good luck <3
Av and sig base is my own Freckles base
you can find my dolls and bases on my DA page
https://heartsdesire-fantasy.deviantart.com/
Heartsdesire
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 547.00
Dolling Style: Tool, Pixel and Cell

Return to Best Digital or Traditional Work