Art of the Month October!

Oscars given for outstanding Digital or Traditional Work.

Moderator: Phoenigette

Em
Super Star
Super Star

Art of the Month October!

Post by Em » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:43 pm

[align=center]This month's winner is Linriel!

What was your inspiration for this piece?
Inspiration always strikes me at random, but I was thinking how fun it would be to draw something Victorian and steampunkish. And since I’m an architect and naturally narcissistic (probably because mirrors make it very easy to model for yourself), a Victorian steampunk architect was just the perfect place to start. We were also looking at Vermeer in one of my classes, so the composition owes something to his influence.

Looking at all the little details, it's hard to imagine where you started, so could you tell us a little about what you did first?
I actually started with a light grid of red pencil to layout the positions of everything, but it was erased by the end. I like to sketch in the composition and make adjustments to placing before I actually start drawing. After that I moved into the figure and the desk, the curtain and window came last. As I drew in the outlines I ended up adding bits of pencil shading, which I decided to keep. Lastly it was into the computer for a little color.

About how long did it take you all together, and what single element would you say you worked on the most?
It technically took me maybe six months to finish. I started the pencil drawing, put it down and didn’t pick it up again for months. So really about 3 days for the drawing itself and then maybe 2 or 3 for the digital work: getting the colors right and deciding how to finish off the margins around the actual drawing.

If you had to choose, what would you say is your favorite part?
I really love the details in the dress and in the curtains, but I also love how the emotion of the piece came forward. It embodies that sort of contemplative moment before you start designing, where there is the potential for anything to happen. It’s like magic; you put your tools to the paper and shape reality with your imagination, with your will.

Is there anything you wish you could go back and change now?
I sort of wish I had made the window in a more decorative style, like maybe Federal, rather than Arts and Crafts, but then it would probably have distracted from the details of the dress etc. The window molding would have distracted from the actual window, but it still would have been cool.[/align]
Last edited by Em on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Av by Hollay

Please do not PM Em for any reason; contact any of the other moderators instead!

LadyHazy
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Post by LadyHazy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Congratulations, Linriel! :D

Ody
Super star
Super star
AKA: The Zombie Cowgirl
Dolling Style: Tool
Formerly: Odyrah
Location: On the back of my horse, riding off with the zombies...

Post by Ody » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 am

I love the muted tones in this. And her thoughtful expression.
ImageImageImage
And Zombie thinks, "glarbh GARBHGL BAARGHL."
I, Jayme

Return to “Best Digital or Traditional Work”