eye c u [wip]

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

kkontinuum
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

eye c u [wip]

Post by kkontinuum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:25 am

Been a long time since I've been involved in digital art or pixel art. This once used to be a huge inspiration and growing passion for me that school and stressful sales jobs seems to have snuffed out.

I started this today, and am working on some more consistency in the colors. It's truly a work in progress, but am looking for some feedback.

I'm having issues with consistency in using photoshop for my pixel shading. Any suggestions for brushes or brush settings that could help? I suppose I feel like my brushes are not "blocky" enough.

But yesss~ any other critique is fine as well. I welcome it all.

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: eye c u [wip]

Post by Phoenigette » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

I can't offer any help with the brushes, I'm afraid, cause I don't get it either. I do like where you're going with this. I like how the strings are different, but feel you could pull in more of the other colors. Have you considered the iris yet? With the size you could do some real nice detail on the iris muscles, but it might detract from the overall feel
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

kkontinuum
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Post by kkontinuum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for the comment!

Still working on this, about to start the eyewhites and iris! I'm planning on putting as much detail in those parts as I did the muscle-y parts. I've still some work to do on the muscles, and am playing with the idea of adding bits of blue and purple to give it a more vein-like appearance.

Anywho, progress!

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by Phoenigette » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:41 pm

exxxcellent. and creepy. i like your modifications to the veins, they have a nice uniform but different feel now.
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Parker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm not sure if I got it right, but if you want to make pixel art in Photoshop you have to switch to the pencil tool instead of using the brush. I keep seeing pixel art and pixel shading in your post, so I'm guessing you want the kind of hard-edged pixels with 100% opacity. In order to change your tools, you only need to right-click on the brush tool and select the pencil tool from the menu. You will get a tool that works like the default pencil tool in Paint or other image editing programs. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it may be useful for future projects.

Here's a screenshot so you can see the menu. My Photoshop is in Spanish, but you can see a sample (1 and 10 px) of each tool next to it and you can use the icons as a guide.

Pincel = Brush / Lápiz = Pencil. Now that I see them together I realise how tricky the pencil/pincel pair is :P

kkontinuum
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Post by kkontinuum » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 am

Thank you! I've started using the pencil tool more recently and it tends to act up for me. Not sure if it's just buggy, or if I'm just illiterate. If I've got white selected, and some other color is my secondary color, it tends to switch the color over mid work. It's frustrating and I can't seem to find any resource on why it does that, or how to stop it.

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Parker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm lacking more details about you version of Photoshop and the settings you've enabled for the pencil tool, but it could be that you have "Auto erase" enabled. I think it comes with it switched off, but you can activate it by checking the box next to the Opacity slider. Perhaps you checked it accidentally or it came with it enabled already.

Auto Erase works by overlapping colours depending on where you click. So, if you draw on an empty layer, it lays down the foreground colour. However, when you draw over your lines, it will lay down the background colour on top of them. You can use this function to "erase" pixels when you plan to keep a background behind them. That way you can both add and get rid of colours in an image without switching tools.

Hopefully this tiny thing I put together helps you:

More info:
A text guide to Auto Erase
A guide to Photoshop's pencil tool. Auto Erase is covered at the very end with an example.

kkontinuum
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Post by kkontinuum » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:24 am

Parker wrote:I'm lacking more details about you version of Photoshop and the settings you've enabled for the pencil tool, but it could be that you have "Auto erase" enabled. I think it comes with it switched off, but you can activate it by checking the box next to the Opacity slider. Perhaps you checked it accidentally or it came with it enabled already.

Auto Erase works by overlapping colours depending on where you click. So, if you draw on an empty layer, it lays down the foreground colour. However, when you draw over your lines, it will lay down the background colour on top of them. You can use this function to "erase" pixels when you plan to keep a background behind them. That way you can both add and get rid of colours in an image without switching tools.

Hopefully this tiny thing I put together helps you:

wow! Thank you so much! I'll have to check into that, but I bet that is exactly my issue as it was doing exactly that.

More info:
A text guide to Auto Erase
A guide to Photoshop's pencil tool. Auto Erase is covered at the very end with an example.

Return to “Rehearsals”