I can't decide...MDI

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

I can't decide...MDI

Postby Melaine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:57 am

And she is done! :D Again, thank you so much for your help :D

Spoiler: show
Okay, these are my dolls and I hope they look okay. Unfortunately, I only have until September 23th because the next day, I'm going away for a trip for a couple days with my family so I can't work on these when I'm away.

So, just wanted to know if there is anything that looks weird or I should change something.
Also, the white dress was inspired by this little birdie and this, and the other is inspired by a harpy.

I'm probably going to change the color of the print on the top of the white dress from grey to blue like the bottom of the dress, just so you know.
I also had an idea of having something hanging from the back of the dress to the wrist for the harpy-dress like a wing or something. But I don't know if it's to much and now that she got the feather-thingy on her wrist, I don't know if I can do that or if I have to take that away.

-------------------------------------
Haha, guess what... I still can't do it XD
Anyways, I'm trying to make her hair but it's not working the way I want it to. I'm trying to make her hair wavy but I'm not good at it. These are my attempts but they look pretty similar to each other and I'm not happy with neither of them.

Is there anyone of them that looks good or do you guys maybe know how I can make it look more wavy?

Mdi Round 2
Soo... Hi guys.. Apparently, deciding is not my strong point. Having a little bit of trouble with which color I should use on the towel. Or if I should maybe change the whole pattern on it.
Otherwise, I think I'm pretty much done with her :)

Mdi Round 1
Just sent this one in and hopefully I haven't screwed myself by doing that xD Kind of regret that I didn't put some jewelry on her buuut...yeah.. She looks good anyway :P

--------------
HAHA! And here I said "Hopefully I haven't screwed myself"...Well I did. Because I didn't see that the text was looking a bit weird until I almost posted this post. I had already sent it in. So I had to sent another email and hopefully that's okay... Note to myself: Freaking look on every inch next time.

Edit 11:
Ribbon it is then. I was actually thinking of using that one :) So, here is my hopefully completed entry :D If there is nothing else I should add or change, I'm going to send this one. Without the White background of course...I was just a bit lazy :wink:
Hopefully her name sounds okay. I didn't know if I was going to write her last name first and then first name as they do in Japan, but I decided to write it this way.

Edit 10:
Sorry for not uploading anything in the last couples days. It has been a really stressful week for me.
Anyways, there been lots of work on these two dolls. I was a bit afraid that I wouldn't make it, but I maybe can :D

So, here they are. A lot better shading on the full body base (thank you very much for help, Parker!) and looots of work on the profile doll. I didn't really like how the sleeves looked so I made a shirt without them. And for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to test how it would look without the ribbon, and now I can't decide which one I like more... (even in the very end, I still can't decide...)

Edit 9:
Okey-dokey...base edit is not my thing. At least not a whole body.
So, this is um, the result of the advice Phoenigette gave me. I don't think I did it right...
I'm also having a bit problem with the highlights. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't really see them. Should I maybe make them lighter?

Edit 8:
Can someone give me some advice on how to shade body parts? As you can see, I suck at it...It looks like pillow shading and it makes her legs looks weird.
Anyway, what do you guys think so far? For me, it feels like something is missing but I don't know what.

Also, I kind of mashed the spoilers together :P So now it's only one very long...box.

Edit 7:
I think I have totally destoryed her face now... -_-' Tried to redraw her face again and hopefully it matches a little bit better now. Also changed the skin color on the full body doll and made it a bit ligher.

So, time for cloth for the profile doll. Does anyone of these looks okay?

Edit 6:
Soo.. which one of these horrible looking eyes looks best? Now that I look at them, I think they all look horrible XD
Made some change on the neck on the profile doll as Artzy suggested. One pixel added on the left side (from our view) and two pixel shorter. The first profile doll is the original and the second is the one with a shorter and wider neck.

Edit 5:
First of all, is there anyone who knows the deadline, or have I just missed the information completely?
Secondly, here are the 3 dresses that you guys and I liked :) I'm thinking of using the first one.
And third, does her face looks okay and matches the profile?

Edit 4:
Sorry for not uploading anything in the last couples days. I haven't been home for these days so I couldn't make any progress.. I did however make these before, but I didn't upload them for some reason so here they are now :) I also haven't made any progress on the dress.. :oops:

The last one is just something I did as change, to see if is maybe works that way.

Edit 3:
Sorry it took me so long to upload it.
I wanted to keep the hair this way but I'm not really sure which one fits more considering her hair on the full body base. I like #2 but I feels like it's too short.
Also, does her face look alright? I've only edited her base palette and eyes.Image
base

Edit 2:
Haha, I can't really can't decide XD The first row and the first and second on the second row are my favorites.
base

Edit 1:
As the title say, I can't decide. I have no idea which dress I should use and I have no idea how to put in the fish-inspiration in it...
And last but not least...I have literally no idea how to enter :oops: I don't know if I should send an e-mail or go through deviantart or glam. So, if anyone could tell me, I would be really grateful :>

So, here are some quick sketches of the dresses that I came up with. I like 3 and 4 (of course, I like the ones I probably won't be able make), but as you can see I can't even choose the pose...
As fish, I was thinking of using the red koi fish.
Aaaand I was hoping I could do have Japan as country... :oops:

base

I'm sorry if this is really confusing. It's my first time entering something like this and I wanted to try for so long.
Last edited by Melaine on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 5,233.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: I can't decide...MDI

Postby Artzygrrl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:42 am

I love all the designs, but I think dress #3, the first pose is my favorite out of all of these. It's an interesting dress shape & a little bit "different" which is always nice. :D

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Diamonds on hand: 573.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Dragyn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Eeep! MDI entries! Eeep!

As far as entering - you send an email. The form is on the Round One page. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the info ;)

I don't want to give too much "CC" being a judge, but I think if you choose to go with the Red Koi, try to pick a dress design that says "Koi" in its design. You don't have to put the fish into a dress, but the inspiration should be clear as possible for best possible scores on theme (:

The person who reserved Japan changed their reservation, by the way, so you could go reserve it (:

If you need any help navigating pageants, feel free to PM myself or Phoenigette (Yeah, I'm volunteering her :P) We'd be happy to help!
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 371.00
AKA: Bree

Postby Melaine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Artzygrrl: Thank you :) I think that is my favorite of them all too, but the only problem is how to put the fish inspiration in it.

Dragyn: Oh, okay. Thank you :D

Oooh..And now that you tell me that, neither of the ones I've drawn has that XD I tried to do that first but the design of those are just ugh...not good.
But okay, going to try it again :) Thanks for the CC!

Yey! :D Now I just have to figure out how to do that... Do you reserve it in the chatbox on the front page?
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Gwen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 pm

I can't help because I'm a judge for MDI but I do wanna say all of them are gorgeous and hopefully you get the country you want ♥ Thankfully Bree popped in and told you all you need to know about entering. And yeah reserving on the chatbox is just fine! :D
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 37.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby buttons » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 pm

I think if you're aiming for koi then dress 2 is my personal favorite, especially if you added some uneven layers in the skirt like the tail of a koi!
buttons
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 359.00

Postby Shixam » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I actually love dress 3, especially for koi. When you said that and I saw the dress I thought of jumping koi. You could make the ruffles at the bottom look like water and then make the rest of the dress look like the fish with a koi-like pattern.

My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Melaine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:07 pm

Blackfyre: It's okay, thank you anyway :D
Okay, hopefully I can still reserve Japan. And again, thanks for the help :)

buttons: That sound cool :D Buut..uneven how? (I'm sorry, my brain is not working with me anymore after trying to get the design for mdi and base race dolls the whole day)

Shixam: I never thought of making something look like water...o_o Okay, I'm going to try that when my brain are in function again :P

Thank you all for the tips! :D
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby buttons » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:22 pm

Oh dear... Haha, I'm the worst at explaining things but sort of like a handkerchief skirt? Like draped so some of the edges fall lower? That probably doesn't make sense >_<
buttons
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Ohh, no it's okay. I understand what you mean... Or google did XD I just searched for "handkerchief skirt" aaand I think I got it right :) So, I'm going to try that tomorrow because it's 2 am right now and I'm going to get some sleep :P
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:31 am

(Sorry for double post)
A little update with some new designs from last night. I still haven't tried the ones you guys told me about, but I'm going to try them right now.
But I'm thinking of using either 2, 3 and 5.
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Consonanta » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:57 am

These dress designs are all quite stunning in their own right, but 2 and 12 are especially evocative of fish, in my opinion.
Consonanta
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 100.00
Formerly: Kiwi

Postby Shixam » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:00 pm

I agree with Consonanta, and also think 6 is pretty fish-like as well.

My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Dragyn » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:13 pm

(; Much better on the inspiration bit!
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 371.00
AKA: Bree

Postby buttons » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:42 pm

They're all so lovely! I especially love #6
buttons
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:36 am

Okay, so you guys like 2, 6 and 12. I'm going to make does three and then see which one is the best.

Also, I started working on the profile doll so I'm going to post it today :> And I also might need some help with choosing the hair... -//////-'
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Update on the profile doll! :D
(btw, I'm not keeping that shirt XD I just made a quick sketch :P)
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Consonanta » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:02 am

If you intend for the portrait doll's hairstyle to match the fullbody's hair, I would suggest a hairstyle with slight waves/curls at the bottom.
I love your edit; her eyes are lovely!
Consonanta
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 am

Oh my! Love that hair <3 Thank you, I'm going to try that :D
Yey!
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 am

Uploads on the hair for the profile and back to the making of the dresses *runs*
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Consonanta » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 am

Hairstyle 2 seems to be a good match for the fullbody! C:
Consonanta
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 am

Okay, going to make a better version of #2 then :D

Updates on better version on the dress and some questions at the top.
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby buttons » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:51 pm

The deadline is on the entrance page, and is July 11th :) I love all of the dresses, especially the first! And I do like the face except the eyes are coming off as a little crossed to me, somehow.
buttons
Super star
Super star

Postby Melaine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:11 am

Okay it's official, I'm blind. (Well, I do have very poor eyesight... XD) thank you for telling me!
Yey! The first one is the one I wanted to have and I'm pretty happy with the result :D
Hm, okay I'm going to fix her eyes as soon as I have the computer in front of me XD
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Postby Artzygrrl » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:45 pm

The neck on the portrait seems a little too thin, IMHO - you might want to widen it up by one or two pixels, and shorten it a bit, to make it match the full body. Otherwise I think they look like the same person :)

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Diamonds on hand: 573.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Next

Return to Rehearsals