Help with Fire Animation + Critiques?

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Help with Fire Animation + Critiques?

Postby Banished » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello hello,
I've got the following work-in-progress of my dwarven cleric Ignis and his goddess Kyden and need a bit of critique

I am planning on animating Kyden's hair, and the two frames currently made look like this animated:
Kyden's third hair outline will be an in-between frame between the two frames already made. I know there is something visibly 'off' about her hair, but I'm not able to pinpoint exactly what.
I am trying to use this animation as reference but am already off haha

Thanks for your help!

Base is by torimisu, though the account has been deactivated on deviantART. Used with permission!
Banished
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 515.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Help with Fire Animation + Critiques?

Postby Shixam » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 pm

So I haven't done a lot of animation, but what it seems to be to me is maybe one of two things: either it's just skipping weirdly without the in-between frame and will look better with it, or it might be going too fast? Looking at your reference, it definitely seems to be going slower than your current animation.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Artzygrrl » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm

I think you should go for 5 unique frames, and have your movements be more subtle (not such a drastic difference), like the example. So maybe you should have those 2 frames be the "ends" and in between you have 3 more frames, and then play those frames backward. (So, if you call your 2 frames 1 and 5, you would have 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, where 2, 3, and 4 would be transition between 1 and 5, and then add 4, 3, 2 again after frame 5 to take it back to the 1 so it goes gradually between them.). So then at the end you'd have 9 frames - 1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 and then it would start over again. I like Shix's idea of slowing it down a bit, but I think if you add more frames with less drastic changes, it will also help. :) HOPE that makes sense :)

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Diamonds on hand: 579.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Banished » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:00 am

Thank you both very much for the helpful responses!
Artzy, I really like your idea of having the completed frames as the start and finish. I will be sure to update this when I finish some more transition frames.

Edit:
A rough outline of the transition frames:
Banished
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 515.00

Return to Rehearsals