NTD 2k15 [Can be closed!]

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: NTD? Idk hope I have time

Post by Artzygrrl » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:40 pm

This is looking SO. GOOD. Like the shading still has that wonderful crisp style you're so good at, but it also has a lot of nice finesse.

I do want to offer some C/C on the shoes, which have definitely come a long way! I think you're just about there with what you have. Here's a redline (I hope you don't mind):
As you can see, the position of the foot in the shoe you have there does WORK for a foot, but not for the design of the shoe (if you are going for the shoes in the picture, that I found in an earlier version). If you are trying to replicate THAT pair of shoes, the position of the foot would be more like that redline outline I put above. I put a suggested shape/size/outline for both on the feet, because I feel like the one on our left is a little off on the shape, and the other one's shape is great, but it seems like it's larger than the other foot. :) As you can see in the picture, the sole of those shoes curve up underneath the toes a bit, and even arch up a bit in the tip of the toe as well. If you didn't want those shoes, don't mind me, I'm just forum trolling

Also, I would move the eyebrows down about 1 px. They're a bit high above the eye socket :) Eyebrows are supposed to rest on the top edge of the socket.

I LOVE the new changes with color & the pants pleats, etc. It's looking amazing! <3 <3

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:05 pm

I love the doll a lot. I feel as though the hat is an after thought though, the way she is just dangling it. Maybe change the angle a bit, bring in the arm and have it resting on her shoulder?
by Mokia

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: Sweet Raspberry Tea

Post by 4br4 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:24 am

fixed the shoes a tad bit (thanks for the redline!) and moved her fingers a tad bit so she's at least palming the hat instead of barely holding onto it. As for the hat on shoulder, I'd have to re-do the entire left side to edit it right now :(

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 am

sent in! hope I do ok :c

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:27 am

fffff i went to casual ;A; damn
ok, since no one is eliminated, here's a lil sketch thing from a larger base I had, I'm probably going to change it, (and have made updates on this since!!) but portraits are killer for me so idk;;; I really want to go with a side view, but it's supposed to be a glamour shot and those are 9/10 from the front. At least her hair is black so I can really go crazy with the skin highlights I guess haha
edit: here's another possible, much smaller and manageable.

Image Image
base base

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:08 am

Great ideas so far! Of course you want to make sure that your head shape, facial features, etc., match your full body dolls too. :)

It's hard to tell, but I'm thinking the arm socket on that sketched base edit is a little too far out. Anyone else see that or am I totally off my rocker?

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

nah, one is too far out and the other is too close xD

Gwen
Director
Director
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Post by Gwen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:08 am

Haha you move quick. Here I am contemplating whether doing R2 is worth it or not.
I like the attitude of the base with the grey skin, but with considerable edits the other smaller one would be pretty cool too.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 am

ahhh do it!! <3 I love your entry, I think she's gorgeous *o*

As much as I'd like to do a big edit extravaganza kind of thing, I just don't think I'll have the time ;~; Not to mention, on the base-o-holic base it's much easier to do the hair b/c I don't have to detail it, but on a portrait-I'm going to have to. So either I'm not going to finish or I'm going to get my ass handed to me xD

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:26 am

ok i had an idea
so it's going to be really hard to find a portrait base and match the face right??

So I just resized Mandarin!!
Image > Image
Just kind of a vote here, I think it will work and save more time so I can detail her hair by hand, b/c LEMME TELL YOU I F**KING LOVE PIXELING DREADS OK

LOVE IT
edit: woops no visible nudity so here's a rejected sketch :'( I have so many ideas that I want to do but idk;;; fashion is hard Dx (not totally nude but there's bandaids as pasties lol and that is a heart tattoo on her boob uwu

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:05 am

sorry for triple post, but I have a dump I had a couple more ideas, but all no visible nudity and blah blah blah here's my entry!

Also going to finally edit the title, yikes.

edit: lol forgot it has to be in b&w woops

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Re: Working on NTD Round 2!!

Post by Phoenigette » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 am

I thought you could do a white tee or tank this round
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:36 am

We can do a white tee!!

...but I really don't feel it would look good on this model. Like I know I can but ahhh I just really wanted to do lil' pasties, I thought they where cute :<

the swordid truth
Super star
Super star

Post by the swordid truth » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:02 pm

idk if this will help you at all, but i think it's a great ref. it's technically for photographers and lighting techs, but... still. here. have a thing! < 3

Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend
AKA: Bree

Post by Dragyn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm

I would personally really advise against the pasties. Artzy's made it pretty clear that the point of the round is the FACE and I feel like doing enough of her chest that you see /pasties/ kinda negates that. Also, it takes away the mystery of your entry. The judges keep applauding the ambiguity of your entry, and personally, I like not knowing if your entry is a girl dressing as a boy or a boy pretending to be a girl and dressing inbetween. I feel like your entry could totally be a drag queen and no one would know the difference. (Not saying she is, just that there's that mystery to it). If you don't want to do the tee or tank, I would suggest not doing passed her breast bone (before you get to her boobs).

I mean, it's totally up to you, but that's my two cents. You're doing well, so I'd hate to see you do poorly for something you could have avoided.

Gwen
Director
Director
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Post by Gwen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I actually really agree with Bree here. The androgyny is really working for you right now, and it's consistently given your entries charm. Like she said, showing it all off now not only takes away the mystery but isn't true to what we know about your model with what we've been shown so far.
She's cute so far though, great work!
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:21 am

TST- Thanks for the reference!! <333

Bree & Gwen- I never really thought of that in that way (don't worry there's going to be no boobs, I'll follow the rules haha) I'm glad people are liking her androgyny, it was accidental haha But thank you very much for the thought! I'll end up just not doing anything below her sternum so you won't see her boobs at all (Although she's completely flat which is what I kind of wanted to convey-if that makes sense)

alas, I shant uwu

no upd8 on the wip yet, I haven't been working on it, I haven't felt so good over the weekend, I think I have the stomach flu Dx

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Looks great, Ruby! :D :D It's fun to see all the progress & different ideas you have. I would be careful about the face/facial expression: it seems a bit too big for the size head/face she has. Almost like a caricature? I think toning that down a little bit & making the expression itself more subtle would be helpful here. I think that would be some minor editing at this stage of the game, before you get too much into developing the shading, etc.

Also, I think the shoulder is a bit too muscular/large for the size arms her full body dolls have. She seems to have average-to-thin sized limbs (as most bases do), so be careful about that shoulder/arm taking over the portrait, and you may just want to make the shoulder not so thick & also slim down the arms a little. It's a great pose, though, and I think you can work it!

I hope you feel better :( I can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:26 am

Hm, I didn't even realize her face was big, I'm so used to anime desu desu faces that I'm kind of used to it-thanks for pointing it out! I'll have to shrink it down a bit (>.w.<)

idk despite androgyny being something I regularly do I'm having trouble finding the right balance for this character in this competition-I want to keep everything right in the middle or male aligned (especially since giving that up after 2 dolls would be a little silly), it's a bit difficult ^^; Especially since fashion isn't usually my thing (I mean, I know the words haute couture but I coudn't explain it if someone asked me haha)

So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sticking by me in this trek through this pageant, it's been very fun and a learning experience!! <3 ;w;

Also ahhhh thank you, I'm feeling much better-I'm not nauseous at all anymore :'D <3333

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Sorry to double post, I did a little bit of work.
Did some minor shading and planning out where I'd like to bring emphasis. I made her arm a bit smaller (like 3-4 pixels) as well as shrinking her nose and eyes. Her mouth is going to be a bit big, but that's all right. If it's completely out of proportion that I'm not ok with :'D

but yeah I want to give a bit of emphasis for her chest & shoulder b/c it's near the face, and then maybe on the arm I'll end up going more subtle. I know her face is supposed to be a big pay attention spot so I might have to go more dramatic on the shading there. Her hair is also going to frame her face on the side w/o an arm.

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

that much detail on the sternum will always make a person look like they are the living dead and their chest is collapsed.
by Mokia

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Post by Phoenigette » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Ahaha bats. Say how you really feel. But yes, I agree. Unless your person is SERIOUSLY skinny, we wouldn't see the ribs. Even little boobed chick's really don't have that much rib detail showing.

I would be careful with her shoulder and arm. You do a very good powerful shoulder, but from what we've seen of your model, that doesn't fit her body type. Her arm could still be smaller, and her shoulder could definitely be smaller. Also, the cut of her port is misleading. Adding her other shoulder would help, or cutting the port a different way. Right now her collarbone is sticking out and it looks like you made her other shoulder incorrectly instead of purposefully excluded it.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:11 am

She is supposed to be kind of skinny, like a lot of fashion models. However, I will lessen the shading on her sternum to a very much lighter degree so it's less visible. Kind of like the airbrushed version -of this (no boobs, it's been blocked out).
idk my bmi is like 16 1/2 which is a bit underweight and I can see mine so self reference is probably going to show here sorry ^^;;;; & same w/ ribs, even if I'm slouching mine are pretty visible haha

I will be fixing her arm-and as for her shoulder, I feel like I should draw the hair b/c as of right now the hair sketch completely covers her other shoulder and idk if I should put the effort into putting it in now seeing as it will be majorly hidden. If that makes sense haha.
As for her big shoulder I am sooooo upset I didn't update the base to be more of her body type. I'll try and go closer to Mandarins guidelines for her arm, but it might look a bit bigger than her fullbody just because I forgot to thicken them :B I'm a fart ahhHH

Anyways-I shall get to work!! >:B

4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by 4br4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 pm

smol update
-lessened the sternum bones & the neck tendons.
-shrunk the arms
-started shading the arm as well.

Hair is next I think!!

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Lookin good!!!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image