Period(ish) Fashion. Send Help.

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity
Dolling Style: Pixel

Period(ish) Fashion. Send Help.

Post by Tals » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 pm

base

So according to Pottermore, wizarding fashion is often inspired by the 17th century, so I decided to attempt some kind of modern 17th centuryish situation. The plan is for it to look something like the middle ref design wise...but I'm stuck trying to shade the skirt. I know it's should probably look like the second reference picture but I can't execute it properly. I guess what I'm asking is where do I start? :whaa:
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
tiny bros by axxkat :: dA :: doll site :: ocs

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Period(ish) Fashion. Send Help.

Post by Artzygrrl » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:13 pm

I think you're on the right track here. The bodice seems a bit low-cut for the type of corset she would have worn in that time period (the boobs as they are look like they aren't in a corset. Here's a great example of what boobs look like when they're in a corset like that):
They kinda gather in the front, which means she would be kinda "flatter" off to the sides (or appear to have a smaller ribcage area, however you want to say it), but then have most of her boobs in the front & center. (Think a little bit like a sports bra - uniboob is pretty normal for the part that's covered, even if you have the cleavage up top. Corsets work similarly by smashing boobs into a smaller area & forcing them to go somewhere - usually UP)

You want to make sure you mark how far below the collarbone the cleavage falls. Consider that the dress would probably be an inch or so above where that corset falls so the corset would never be visible underneath if she moved. The first ref picture, I'm guessing she has lace over her cleavage (which is why we can't see any details like a shadow between the boobs). The second ref is probably closer to what you'd want if there's any kind of cleavage visible - a bodice that comes mostly straight across or is a squareish neckline. Overall, lots of lace edging typifies the baroque style of dress - over the top.

As for the skirt, I think it's almost there! My advice would be to add a little more "fullness" at the gathered part there at the bottom of the bodice. Make it rounder, if you will. Here's a dress from that time period showing the "bubble" sort of effect you would get at the top of the skirt from the way they were attached & also as a result of the hoops worn underneath:

The bottom of the dress seems like a good size, but I would angle those folds you have a little bit inward as they go up (instead of having them be straight). The shape is nice, though!

The sleeves look great to me. Might want to add some lace at the bottom, but "biggish & poofyish" is a great place to start. The 3/4 length seems appropriate.

All in all you seem to definitely be on the right track with everything! Baroque is a hard style to master but it's fun. If you think "that seems a bit excessively ornate" you're probably about right. ;) Oh, and I LOVE that marsala/burgundy color! Can't wait to see where this goes :D :D <3

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tals
Celebrity
Celebrity
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Period(ish) Fashion. Send Help.

Post by Tals » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Thank you so much for the help! I love looking at period fashion (and hoarding lots of pictures of it on Pinterest) but dolling it is totally out of my comfort zone!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
tiny bros by axxkat :: dA :: doll site :: ocs

Return to “Rehearsals”