NTD Rnd 4 - Can Be Closed!

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Lilly
Super star
Super star
AKA: Silly Old Bird
Dolling Style: Tool

NTD Rnd 4 - Can Be Closed!

Post by Lilly » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:07 pm

Hiya, Peeps!

So, I'm gonna be bold, and post my WIPs here for you to tear apart. I need feedback, and I need help with things like anatomy and whatnot. So if you know a thing or two about anatomy, feel free to leave your critiques in the comments. Also, red-lining is welcomed! If you're better at explaining something by drawing over it, go right ahead! I am a visual learner, and learn best by example. You all get cookies for helping. <3

Some of the ideas I have for this, are from the old 80's Coca Cola commercial, there was this lady wearing pigtails, and red ribbons, hence the hairstyle. Not sure I like the position of her legs, might change it...

Warning: Nudity (Excuse her nakedness! Not for young eyes!) :P
Next Top Doll: Round 4
Theme: Body Painting
Art Style: Pop Art
Inspiration: Andy Warhol -Coca Cola Advertisement
---

Update #1: The sketch! This part is always the messiest.

---
Update #2: Several hours later... The Coca Cola bottle in her hand is a bit wonky, but will fix that later.
---

---
Update #3: Still dolling! It's been 7 hours, minus a couple when I had dinner. Redrew her face, though now her head seems smaller. Huh.
---

---
Update #4: Woo! No more Picasso face! Also, changed her hair from pigtails, to a more wispy, windblown style.
---

---
Update #5: I've been at this since 3pm, and I'm dead tired now...so is my drawing hand, unfortunately. :? Before I go to bed, here's the latest WIP of my entry. A few changes were made. lol Ugh, she looks so small compared to the doll on the right! I may have to elongate her legs a tad to make her match. Stupid size issue!
---

---
Update #6: Decided to revert back to my original pose, hated the one where her legs were standing apart, it's boring! The first pose is sassy, and a bit sexy, and heck more fun. So, I'm sticking to it. No shading, on the legs, I obliterated what I had done, and will do again, it was so messy before. Pretty much all I did today was work on the legs. lol A big thanks goes to Fiona, she was really helpful!
---

---
Update #7: Last minute change of plans! Saw this other Coca Cola pop art by Warhol, and it blew my other idea out of the water. I don't know about you, but the colors in this are so much more fun!
---

---
Update #8 10/29/2015: I've been working like crazy on this stubborn doll, all week, and am no where near done with it! I think this might be the most frustrating round of NTD thus far! I spent the last day and a half, shading all the little details by hand, and it's been tough going. Anyhow, I need feedback guys! I'm stuck on her right hand, (our left) the one resting on her hip. I just don't know how to draw the stupid thing. HELP! << Nevermind, figured it out!
---

---
Update #9 10/29/2015: Done!
---

---
Thanks in advance for all your help, I appreciate it!
Last edited by Lilly on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:33 am, edited 21 times in total.

buttons
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: NTD Rnd 4 - WIP Needs Critique!

Post by buttons » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Oh this is going to be SO good! The only thing I can think to critique is maybe making her left upper arm a tiny bit thicker so it doesn't look like her forearm is too thick, and then maybe trimming the upper right arm just a wee little bit so it matches the left side :)

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 am

the way her lower half is shifted to the side, it would be hard for her upper body to be straight - mainly her breast area, they are straight forward, the shoulders are slightly angled and neither match the lower body. As for her face, it looks reminiscent of Picasso. The eyes should be much closer to the nose and I think the nose should come lower down? Right now it looks like a profile shot with another eye pasted beside it. I would google people drinking coke and get a good reference.
The hair and body paint are fabulous.
by Mokia

Lilly
Super star
Super star

Post by Lilly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:40 am

@Buttons: Thank you for the feedback! I saw the problem with the arms before your post actually and started to tweak them, to make them look better. Drawing arms that are actually 'doing' something as opposed to just hanging at the side, is difficult. XD

@Batgirl: Awesome feedback! I will be working on her face some more, don't want her looking like a Picasso painting! Haha. Will also be changing her pose (at least her bottom half), so that it lines up better. Usually when I get to this part of the doll, it goes through a morphing phase. It will end up looking a lot different once it's actually finished. :lol:

MeganClare
Super star
Super star
AKA: I'm a dirty dog!
Dolling Style: Pixel

Post by MeganClare » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:36 am

Hi Leah! This looks great, the new face/head is definitely a massive improvement. I would personally add a bit more detail to her hands.

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Post by Artzygrrl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:08 am

can I just say, this is delightful?! Love where it's headed :D I especially love her face. It's got this sort of vintage-makeup inspired look, which is totally working for me. I agree with Megan's assessment about the hands & feet, but I'm sure you just haven't gotten to them, yet. Great job so far!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lilly
Super star
Super star

Post by Lilly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:14 pm

@Megan: Hi!!! *glomps* I don't think I ever said this before, but I think it's super cute how you continue to refer to me by me real name, even though everyone else still calls me Lilly. It's nice that you remember. :D

Regarding the hands and feet, I usually put off shading those until I'm done with everything else, that way I know where to put the shadows and highlights and everything. I will work on those, just not yet! Thanks for the feedback!

@Artzy: You nailed it with your comment about vintage makeup, I totally gleaned ideas from the vintage Coca Cola pinups from the 50s. I love the makeup from that time period, it's so fresh and enchanting! I thought it would suit Noelle perfectly. But yeah, her hands and feet won't be touched until the end like I explained to Megan. All in good time!

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm

She looks wonderful now! I agree with you that the height needs to be adjusted to match. I think her thighs should be thinned slightly when you do to match the comparison a little more perfectly.
by Mokia

Lilly
Super star
Super star

Post by Lilly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:22 pm

@Batgirl: Thank you! I am working on her legs now, will post an update as soon as I fix it. :D

Lilly
Super star
Super star

Post by Lilly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:18 am

Ugh, this doll is killing me. Fjkfjkfjkjfdkjkdjkjkj!! (hides in a dark corner, and melts into a puddle of tears)

Return to “Rehearsals”