Princess Bubble Gum in Rehearsals: R2 (Blood Inside)

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Princess Bubble Gum in the Rehearsals Thread: R2

Post by Artzygrrl » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:55 pm

I like Idea 2!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Keke
Producer
Producer
AKA: The Argyle Queen
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Keke » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 pm

I like idea number two the best.

Shixam
Super star
Super star
AKA: Princess of Pink
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Post by Shixam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 pm

I don't know now. I thought about it the last couple of days, and I started coming up with a decent scene in my head for the first idea. And I really want to make sure I improve in the pageant, but I'm not sure I can come up with something creative or striking enough for a way for her to kill someone.
My Charm Bracelet
ImageImageImageImageImage

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am

Update: I'm working on something right now. I had to smoosh a couple Mandarin poses together to get the one I wanted, and I'm working on the lineart for my tub now. Once it's done I'll be posting a WIP. Hopefully sometime tomorrow at the latest.
My Charm Bracelet

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:55 am

Base

The pose is a combination of two different Mandarin poses (don't worry, I checked their rules before squashing the two together).

So, here's the idea I got in my head a few days ago:
I was thinking at work that the problem with my bathtub idea was that A) the perspective I wanted had no way of showing really clearly that what she'd be sitting in is blood, and B) I didn't have a way to imply that the blood came from someone she had killed. And while I was thinking I got this picture of her sitting in the tub with the blood dripping from her hands, like she'd scooped it up out of the tub.

For the item she needs to be wearing with her color, I'm thinking a Bubble Gum Pink towel around her hair.

I'm still considering what to do about Issue B, and I'm thinking I'll shrink down another Mandarin pose and have it a bit off in the background as a silhouette and see if the idea comes across from that.

What's above is what I have of the concept so far. I squished a couple poses to show what I'm thinking of, and got a tub at least started. I want to add a faucet to it, but I don't feel like do the pipes tonight, so I'm just going to leave this here.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt like showing her killing someone wouldn't really be striking enough to help me improve in the pageant. It seemed like it would be a pretty routine blackmail, and I would need a really awesome murder scene to make it stand out, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to do.

I still want to use the tub idea in Round 3 too. I'm thinking, of course, that I'll make a different tub for Round 3, but I feel like the irony of her dying in a bath tub would be stronger if she's actually shown IN a tub for this round first. Otherwise it'll just be "She died in the bathroom" and I'll be the only one who knows it actually has a connection to her story.

The tub in the top left was the reference I used for what I made.

The lineart at the bottom was made by DHF and provided for me by Keke. The rules don't let us use premade lineart, but I wanted something to get an idea of what size to make mine, and I wanted to the pose done before my own lineart was done. So I used the DHF lineart to help me visualize what the pose would actually look like IN something before I got around to doing my own work.
My Charm Bracelet

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Post by Phoenigette » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 pm

How gore-y are you feeling? There are a ton of ways to imply that she killed someone and was using their blood. The one I like is having another body behind the tub with an arm artistically thrown out beyond the tub. With the type of tub that you're using, you would still see the body, but it keeps the focus on her.

Alternatively you could hang someone from the ceiling. 8D

Also I would suggest using a vastly different tub for round 3. Like a built in tub or jacuzzi. Then you have some options of having her die ON the tub not IN the tub. Still a tub, but keeps visual interest.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:22 pm

WIP Update:
Base

Tub lineart is finally done! Gonna start working on the actual doll now. Next time I post all this nice line art will probably just be blocks of color.
Phoenigette wrote:How gore-y are you feeling? There are a ton of ways to imply that she killed someone and was using their blood. The one I like is having another body behind the tub with an arm artistically thrown out beyond the tub. With the type of tub that you're using, you would still see the body, but it keeps the focus on her.

Alternatively you could hang someone from the ceiling. 8D

Also I would suggest using a vastly different tub for round 3. Like a built in tub or jacuzzi. Then you have some options of having her die ON the tub not IN the tub. Still a tub, but keeps visual interest.
I considered hanging someone from the ceiling, but then that would raise the whole "making it look like the body had been drained" question, so I'm probably going with the body being behind the tub.

I kinda don't want to have to actually it, though...so it might just be all black. But at the same time I know actually shading it would probably be worth more in the end. It might depend on how much time I have. I'm thinking the body in the background will probably be the last piece I worry about for the entry throughout the whole process.

And yeah, I was planning on doing a different tub. Maybe something with more of a ranch-y/country feeling, since they're supposed to be at Lonestar's ranch.
My Charm Bracelet

Mogget
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Post by Mogget » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 pm

I considered hanging someone from the ceiling, but then that would raise the whole "making it look like the body had been drained" question, so I'm probably going with the body being behind the tub.
Why not have the body hanging above the tub with the blood draining from the body into her hands and tub
kinda like a creepy blood shower

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:13 pm

I don't know... I don't think I really like the look of that, to be honest, the way I'm picturing it in my head. And there'd still be the need to make the body look like it's being drained, and I don't feel confident that I'd be able to do that well. I don't even think I'd know where to put the cuts.
My Charm Bracelet

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Re: Princess Bubble Gum in Rehearsals: R2 (Blood Inside)

Post by Shixam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:52 pm

AND UPDATE!

Base

Red is where all the blood will be. Still not sure, though, how exactly to shade blood...
My Charm Bracelet

Gwen
Director
Director
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Post by Gwen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 pm

http://thethirdact.deviantart.com/art/n ... -308544136
Also you're going to want to make the blood on her skin where she isn't in the blood in the tub brownish and flakey. Blood doesn't stay that bright color very long unless you're actively bleeding out where it will turn a pinkish color. Coagulated blood (like what would be in the tub) will likely be darker, like an almost black. That's all the advice I can really give.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:55 pm

unless she puts an anticoagulant in it, which she might if she is actually bathing in it?
As someone who works with a fair amount of blood, I recommend going towards the orange-y pink spectrum rather than straight red/orange or red/pink, especially when it is on skin. Blood on TV is often too pink.
As for cuts to bleed out a human, its the same as animals, its from the neck. A good reference would be Dexter Season 1. The ice truck killer bleeds out his victims using an inversion table. Dexter ends up doing this to the serial killer and its a wonderful scene.
You're so innocent shix. It's cute.
by Mokia

Gwen
Director
Director
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Post by Gwen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:17 pm

It comes down to who the character is. Does she want it to be natural and believe in the effects of the blood itself? Or does she want it to look like blood and will put random chemicals in it so it looks "right"? Does she do it for purity, or does she do it for aesthetic? I would think she'd want it to be natural, as part of the delusion. Thus coagulation, but I don't know the character or her story. I could be wrong. Maybe she is the type to bathe in it because it's aesthetically pleasing to her. Delusional characters weren't made to make sense lol.I was a criminal justice major, so I know blood as well and I've seen some really weird gory things happen. I was just giving her suggestions based on what I've seen and what might make sense for her character.
The ice truck killer season was a good one though that's true.
Also I would suggest shading the background body if you have the chance and time. It really adds to the scene and MMP relies heavily on props and backgrounds to add to the entry.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

Shixam
Super star
Super star

Post by Shixam » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:43 pm

So, I only have three days left and don't know if I'll have time to post another WIP before I submit.

If I have time, I'll make the body in the background shaded, but if not, the tub and Princess Bubble Gum are the focal point, and the body isn't really as important as her. I'll either leave it a lighter silhouette, or get rid of it completely if I have to. But that's all depending on time and inspiration.

As far as the blood, I hadn't put much thought in it character-wise, and with the limit on the length of the description for Round 2, there's really no way for me to clarify. I'll probably go with something along the lines of what Bats suggested, though.
My Charm Bracelet

Return to “Rehearsals”