MMP - Zorba and Pompadour

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

MMP - Zorba and Pompadour

Postby Spyder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Update:

She has a mask now!

FB base by here, portrait is baseless.

I went with a sort of combination of goblin and over the top. But with the colour Zorba being a brow-gren muted tone, it sort of looks like its gilded black. At least I think it does if I squint. I think that it'll appear more when I get to shading. It also reminds me of a moth. A giant ass moth that got stuck to her face, so she's working it!

Spoiler: show
*cries*

Okay so. I chose two colours. Either because im crazy or because im broken in the head - who knows. But I chose Zorba, a sort of a grey-y shade that reminded me of my favourite cardigan, and Pompadour which is a sort of a burgundy/plum-y pink/red shade - it sounds big and fancy and very over the top so why the hell not.

Pompadour is fine, I think. I know sort of where I want to go but haven't gotten around to sketching it due to being stacked out at work and having to bring it home... but that's another story.

Zorba however, ive got sketched up, but it just feels a bit wonky... Look.

FB base by here, portrait is baseless.

I should explain. Basically, because I sketched out a sort of a portrait I wanted to use, I sent myself the pose I wanted and sketched out a basic outline on a post-it note. I think I've cleaned it up and made it feel a bit more suited to the base, and I think im doing okay making them match, but it doesn't feel right... like there's something missing or it isn't as full of life as I think it should be. I think the dress feels a little un-comfortable to look at, but im struggling to see where its wonky (except at the bottom. I know that needs re-doing!). It could also be because I haven't gotten her accessories in yet (Im thinking opera gloves, diamond earrings and choker, potentially a little bag that looks like this hanging from the crook of her arm?)

Plus I cant keep a title for this woman long enough!! She started as General, then went to Agent but I wasn't sure that would be allowed, so went to Madame, but I didn't like that either so went back to General for a while. Then I realised whilst the colour worked for a military title, Zorba isn't really a military person so much as perhaps a political one. So I toyed with Senator and Mayor. I think senator works best but even so.

So the long and short of it is - help, I cant draw formal dresses to save a life, and help, she wont keep a title!

Update: (any further updates will be spoilered!)
I genuinely hadn't considered president... I'll spend the day considering that one! Thank you!

Also, I know about the mask, I just don't have a theme yet *cry* I'll be adding that after and re-shading around it etc. (as I usually do!) but I'm not sure exactly. Zorba seems to be very confident, very stoic almost. I think she's the kind of person who would probably put a child in time out because they dared to sneak a piece of chocolate, and then sit out side of the time out area eating the chocolate whilst maintaining an uncomfortable stare on the child. But then she'd also be going out with her girl friends, drinking martini's and flirting with anything and everything that moved. I don't know. I think she would work nicely with an almost classing Hollywood sort of style, so perhaps a very understated and simply mask but with ostrich feathers and jewels like this, but then I also think she'd suit a more gothic look, like this, this, or this.

Though the more I think about it, the more I feel she would/could also be very inspired by Labyrinth (the film with David Bowie, love that film!) so something like this or this!
Last edited by Spyder on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image-Image-Image-Image-Image-Image

My DevArt
AV graffitied by Phoenigette
Spyder
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 3,104.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://dystopiaforum.crimson-star.net/

Re: MMP - Zorba and Pompadour

Postby Shixam » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 pm

For the title, have you considered President? With the vibe she's giving off in the pose, it feels like she should be so important that she's the #1 HBIC, to me.

The only thing that was bothering me about the dress at first was the yellow, but then I saw the palette on the side and realized that it's just a placeholder. And with that in mind, putting it together mentally with the accessories you mentioned, I really like the look you're going for with her.

Can I ask what the masquerade theme you're going for is?

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Postby Gwen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:05 am

I also wanna mention the portrait has to be wearing a mask D: as fabulously lovely as her face is, I would keep that in mind too. I love the look you have going on.

I agree with Shix too, President is a good title for the vibe you have.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥
Gwen
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 41.00
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Postby Spyder » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:19 am

I genuinely hadn't considered president... I'll spend the day considering that one! Thank you!

Also, I know about the mask, I just don't have a theme yet *cry* I'll be adding that after and re-shading around it etc. (as I usually do!) but I'm not sure exactly. Zorba seems to be very confident, very stoic almost. I think she's the kind of person who would probably put a child in time out because they dared to sneak a piece of chocolate, and then sit out side of the time out area eating the chocolate whilst maintaining an uncomfortable stare on the child. But then she'd also be going out with her girl friends, drinking martini's and flirting with anything and everything that moved. I don't know. I think she would work nicely with an almost classing Hollywood sort of style, so perhaps a very understated and simply mask but with ostrich feathers and jewels like this, but then I also think she'd suit a more gothic look, like this, this, or this.

Though the more I think about it, the more I feel she would/could also be very inspired by Labyrinth (the film with David Bowie, love that film!) so something like this or this!

**Also**
Sorry shix, yeah, shading grey is kinda hard so I use the red-yellow palette in paint to get the basic shape and style I like, replace the colours then fiddle with it until im happy. Like at the moment, she has no booby shade, but that's coming next (at least a little bit) and no high-lights since its meant to be duchess satin which has a lovely sheen but isn't too bright. it just catches the light in a delicate, feminine way. Its my favourite fabric to work with and I think Zoba would definitely wear it.
Image-Image-Image-Image-Image-Image

My DevArt
AV graffitied by Phoenigette
Spyder
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 3,104.00
Avatar Base: http://dystopiaforum.crimson-star.net/

Postby Aurora » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Agent is an acceptable title if you want it! People introduce themselves as Agent, Special Agent, etc, so it is a real thing! :wink:

She looks great so far! Love the mask!! <3

Can't wait to see your ideas for Pompadour as well!!!!
Aurora
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 451.00

Return to Rehearsals