Snow White

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Guinevere
Extra
Extra

Snow White

Post by Guinevere » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:46 pm

I guess I am keeping with the tradition of one doll per year, but I am trying change that and become more than a lurker in the dolling community.
I'm stuck with this doll, maybe because I've been looking at it the whole day. I'll work more on it tomorrow, but I'd appreciate if you could give me some CC, as harsh as you can be.

Baseless

Edit: didn't realize she was so big :whaa:

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: Snow White

Post by Parker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:27 pm

I know that feeling. You get too much into it and don't notice the size till you see it somewhere else :P Also, as you keep improving you notice that 200 pixels is just not enough.

From what I'm seeing here, the issue is mostly the proportions. Her body is five heads tall, which makes her look slightly unbalanced. Either reduce the head's size or make the body bigger. You may also need to adjust her neck a bit too so the transition from her head to her chest looks natural. I think the issue is mostly with her head and neck, though. Shrinking those a bit may fix everything.

I like where this is going, but I'd suggest that you use some midtones to add some light to her darker areas. The shadows you have are very desaturated, and some more saturated midtones may help add some life to her skin. I see this character has very pale skin, but some hints of orange or red will make her skin more interesting. I still remember that skin tone tutorial at Furiae.com, where her colours where a pale, slightly desaturated rosy red, some warm orange, red (not the dark tone you have here, but the brighter orangey kind), purple, beige and blue. By mixing all those colours she created a pale skin palette that looked fairly natural. Furiae seems to be closed, but there's this handy tutorial by Navate . Part two covers skin tones and has some interesting palettes, you can read it here.

EDIT: You can still access Furiae through the wayback machine. Here's her home page, and here's her Thoughts on skin tones tutorial with the colour palette I mentioned above. More tutorials are included in the gallery.

Guinevere
Extra
Extra

Re: Snow White

Post by Guinevere » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Thank you so much, It was very kind of you to add linked tutorials, those will be very useful. I am actually excited to work on her again. *hugs*

Return to “Rehearsals”