Folds and Crease CC Help Plz

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Folds and Crease CC Help Plz

Postby zili-minikincrafts » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Working on this doll (possible signature for my minecraft forum?) and need some cc on the pants. I'm pretty pleased with the how the top turned out but i can't move forward on the shading until I have the outline of the shorts just right. Also any cc on the hair, i like it but i'm open to cc on it as well. I've also done my first face edit (although small it's significant to me, I've edited the nose and eyes).

base

Based on the minecraft skin I designed and my brother (MC Name: Tako_Oni) created. I am in between "etsi_wahuhi" (my mom, yeah she plays too) and LucarioOfAura (that's supposed to be a fox face on my shirt, on the back is a fox tail ^_^)
zili-minikincrafts
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 128.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://wish04.deviantart.com/

Re: Folds and Crease CC Help Plz

Postby Parker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm

When dealing with clothes and how they behave, it's best to study the type of garment and fabric you want to render to understand how it works. In the case of denim, it's a pretty stiff fabric which means that all clothes made of it will have a very evident structure. My dad told me about his first pair of jeans: they were so stiff that they could stand on their own. His words. So when rendering denim, focus on straight lines that transform the doll's silhouette by standing out in some areas and going in in others. If you've ever tried a pair of jeans that were a tad too small for you, you may have noticed that they are always too tight in certain areas (mostly the waist and crotch). These two areas are key when drawing jeans: the waist will help you place the jeans with regards to your base, and will be your guide for details like buttons or pockets. The crotch will be your main guide when drawing the folds, especially with short jeans.

I've summed up the process in four steps, click the thumbnail below to read them.

Step 1: THINK BEFORE YOU DRAW Think in three dimensions. Clothes wrap around your body and you should keep that fact always in mind when drawing them. Since we're working with lines, it is fairly easy to forget about volume and end up with a flat look. Thinking of the body as a combination of geometrical shapes is very useful when dealing with these matters, and nothing beats boxes when showing some perspective. I used two greys: the lightest one shows the front of the leg and hip area, the darker one shows the sides as they move backwards from the viewer. Also notice the seams (the areas where two pieces of cloth meet and are sewn together). They always divide the area they're on in two halves.

Extra help: Professional fashion designer, and fashion illustration teacher, Zoe Hong has a video series on drawing clothes. Her first video may help you out with this: Drawing Clothes 1: Wraparounds.

Step 2: PLACING THE GARMENT Now you can start drawing your clothes. Since this is a quick sketch, try to focus on the direction and getting a general idea. You can go as far as you want and add all details now, but I think it will be best if you focus on simply placing the waistband and crotch area of the jeans and try to follow the pose of the base. Remember: clothes wrap around your body, so don't follow the bases outline's too closely. Move away from them if necessary. You can always fix your lines and shading as you move along, there's no pressure to get everything spot on right now. I have a tablet, and always use a 1 pixel brush to sketch making swift strokes and letting my hand loose. I never skip this step, since most of the future work will rely on the decisions I make in it.

Step 3: SKETCH We're getting somewhere now, and it's time to really think of the overall look of your doll. You can be more precise now and take more time with each stroke. Here you add the folds and details and that means you need to know where they go and how they act. Now, here's a little intro to folds:

Clothes wrap around our bodies and are meant to let us move within them. This means that we need some extra space, which is granted with a small excess of fabric that causes folds, creases and also shapes our bodies. Folds and creases appear wherever there's tension; tension is caused by the body underneath the clothes posing in a given way, pulling at the cloth or simply protruding or receding. Joints are always the culprits: all joints produce folds when articulated. In our case, the main joints are the hips. She's sitting down, the hips are bent and that means folds.

The crotch, where the front, back and side seams all meet, is also a source of fabric tension and it will affect how your jeans look. The excess of fabric surrounding the hip area is scrunched up (technical term) when you sit down: your hips push the fabric up and foward when bent, your upper torso (down to the waist, another joint) pushes it slightly down. The result is like trying to pull your sleeves out without cuffing them: the fabric bends and creates those lovely sharp denim folds. Since the groins follow a diagonal direction (but, please, make them subtle), then the crotch folds will also be slightly slanted.

Step 3.b: ADD DETAILS Knowing where to place details is as easy as looking for reference images. The buttons on jeans always go left over right; the button in on the right side, and the buttonhole is on the left, so the left side of the front piece overlaps the right one. Front pockets are placed between the belt loops and the side seam.

Step 4: FINAL SKETCH This is when you make your final outlines and/or start shading.

I hope this helps :D
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,725.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Return to Rehearsals