Art for my Website | Any C/C Welcomed!

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Art for my Website | Any C/C Welcomed!

Postby Obsidian » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Hello! So, I've been working on my own pixel avatar website and have been wanting some feedback but haven't really had the money to do some advertisements to get my site out there so figured I'd just post the images here and see if you guys don't mind giving me your feedback. :)
I got some from some friends and family but I think they typically do the entire "Looks great!" even though I feel they need improvements. I got some ideas in mind on improvements already.
So any and all c/c is welcomed. :D
They're not for use outside of Kaeska. Sorry! I've got an older base that I've upgraded these from that I'll probably post in the forums for use, tho. ^-^

Basic Pose:
Additional Poses:

And been working on the logo:

Emotes (I have a lot of them animated but I'd have to remember where to find them in the cPanel):
ImageImage
Found the animated ones:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

No items just as of yet.
Last edited by Obsidian on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsidian
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Diamonds on hand: 1.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Art for my Website | Any C/C Welcomed!

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am

That's a lot of pretty things to look at! :D

The base is fairly good, but looks too much like a mannequin. I don't know which type of items you'll be offering to dress it, but if you plan on leaving parts of the base bare, the anatomical shapes are pretty much the same on each set. If we could remove the breasts and abs, both the male and female would look exactly the same. If this were a regular base for people to draw upon, this would not matter since users could edit the base's anatomy to suit their ideas, but if you plan on people using this base as is, I think it may be better to add some muscle definition to both sets to make the bodies more realistic. I'm not telling you to make an accurate human body, but even in stylised work like cartoons, you would still see some sort of muscles, even if it's simply hinting at them. You can achieve this by simply looking for references online: Google images shows up a lot of anatomy references when you include terms like "muscle anatomy", or "anatomy diagram". There are some free anatomy art books, with diagrams that can be useful. That book is from 1911, so it's free of copyright and can be accessed online for free. It may seem too much for a base, but the best thing about art books is that they go bit by bit, so you can focus on the arms, then move to the torso, then go down to the legs, etc. Since you've done a great job with the proportions, it would be just a matter of refining the base instead of starting over.

I'm not familiar with avatar sites, but I've seen similar projects pop up from time to time, and they all seemed to feature a dollmaker, where you would simply drag or click on items to put them on the base. If that is not the case for Kaeska, then feel free to disregard this tip.

The logo is very pretty, and I'm sure it will look amazing once you add colour to it. I don't have much CC about this one graphic, I think it looks as good as it can right now, meaning that you've added all the detail that can be added to a line drawing, and all it is lacking is some shading to show where you want to take it from here. I'm going to repeat myself and tell you to look up how the body is structured (muscles, bones, etc.) so shading it is much easier. Since this image is bigger, it also means you'll have more space to add detail to, so think carefully about what you want to do with it.

Also, when I first looked at this post I was on my phone, and the logo was so big that it didn't fit my screen. Sometimes when an image is too wide, the forum's format kind of chops part of it, so I'm going to give you a handy code you can use to prevent this from happening.

Code: Select all
[thumbnail]URL of your image[/thumbnail]

EXAMPLE:
[thumbnail]http://kaeska.org/images/wip/FBkaeskalogo.png[/thumbnail]

It will show your image as a clickable thumbnail like this one:

And lastly, the emotes are adorable <3 I love emotes in case you couldn't tell, and yours are way too cute to be true. I'm particularly fond of of the animated ones, especially the little devil with the tiny horns.
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,727.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Obsidian » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you so much! I never got around to looking too deeply in the BBCode for these forums so I've changed the image to a thumbnail.

Unfortunately, the link you provided me goes to a dead link. :(
However, I enjoyed reading about your points! I plan on popping these babies up in CS6 and giving your points a go and hopefully make some changes to them (it may take me awhile to update the first post with those suggestions because I'm juggling a 7yr, 3yr and 4mo old children today, lol).

I know most avatar-based websites (such as the one I'm working on) typically uses bases with close similarities but enough differences to tell the gender to make sure that they don't put too much pressure on their artists when making items to equip to the base (clothing, armor, weaponry, pets, etc.), but I do want to stir away from that and try to define each base based on gender, so I really enjoyed hearing your points on that. It definitely was on my To-Do List. I also want to work on a neutral base for members who wish to have transgender base option (not 100% for sure how I want to tackle that just yet, tho). I haven't been working on items to equip to these bases until I feel satisfactory for the bases (which is why there is a lack of mouth, nose, ears and eyes -- there will be additional styles for those for the bases that the members can choose from).

I do admit that I've somewhat been avoiding the logo because I'm not sure what route I want to take with it. I do know that it's not going to be pixelized. I'm not 100% certain what color scheme I want to go with. I know my favorite color is purple (probably obvious with the Kaeska logo being purple, hehe), but I'm not sure if I want that Kirin to go the same route or similar colors.

Thank you so much about the emotes! I've been wondering if I needed to tweak some of the animations on them because of some maybe going too fast. There's still a few that I haven't replaced from the default phpBB style emotes but after making all those, I wanted a break from the little buggers, lol.

I'm hoping to work some more on the art today but with the amount of kids here right now, I may just work on some lore.

I really enjoyed reading your critique. I was a little anxious because I'm so used to some websites being a bit harsh. Thank you so much for the critique in a really respectful and understanding way. :)
I really appreciate it!
Obsidian
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Postby Parker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Obsidian wrote:Unfortunately, the link you provided me goes to a dead link. :(

Archive.org seems to be down due to a power outage, but you can still access their Twitter account for more information. The book I linked was Ralph Thompson's Human Anatomy for Art Students. You can browse through a more modern version on Google books. I googled "Copyright free art anatomy books" and found this one: Constructive Anatomy (direct link to the pdf file), from 1920. This one seems to focus on shape and volume, which may be more helpful than a more theoretical approach. I also know of this list of free resources, but most are hosted on Archive.org, which means they may not be available right now.

Hope any of these links work for you, and you can find what you need in there.
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,727.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby Obsidian » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Awesome, thanks! I'll give those links a browse and hopefully Archive.org will return soon.
Obsidian
Waiting Tables
Waiting Tables

Return to Rehearsals