Dress/Fold Help?

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Dress/Fold Help?

Postby SnailorBee » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Hey guys! I'm working on an art trade and ran into the standard snag I have with dresses: how do I doll them if the base is sitting down?! (Generally I just avoid sitting bases but I didn't have a reference showing the full outfit so I had already started before I was given the dress. x_x)

So here's my doll so far, just a rough sketch. Base Also if anyone's interested I can post the lineart version I made of the base.

Anyways I'm dolling this character:
What a cutie right? But I have no clue to do the folds. ;A; Any suggestions? Also if you see anything else weird on the doll (dog ears, bun, etc) lemme know! I am also terrible at animal ears. > w> Why do I do this to myself?!
SnailorBee
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 164.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Formerly: AnnaTheAmazing

Re: Dress/Fold Help?

Postby Parker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:50 pm

The best way to start is taking a long look at the pose and your reference. The base is flexing her knees with her left one moving upwards and her right one slightly outwards to our left. Then look at your reference and try to guess or simply pick a length. Based on the proportions of your reference picture, I guessed it was knee-length. I decided to draw it a bit higher than her knees since, with that pose, they would push the hem up.

You can do this following these basic steps:
1) Start by drawing the hem following the shapes underneath.
Think about how it would sit on her legs. They are slightly parted, some of the fabric would pool between them; but not much, since both knees are up and that wouldn't let the fabric go down too much.

2) She's sitting so, even if we don't see it on the final doll, there will be a surface that will prevent the fabric from hanging to the ground.
Use that to add more effect to your skirt. Around her butt, the fabric will move slightly backwards as the hem first rests against her seat and she rests her body on top of it. Because of the pose, the back of the skirt, that's pressed against the seat, will look shorter than the front, which will be more foldy as it is free to move.

3) The skirt is only attached to her waist, so most tension will come from there.
A pleated skirt consists of a tube of cloth that is then folded to form the pleats. They're sewn at the top of the skirt (the waist) and they hang keeping that shape to the bottom of the skirt. Those pleats tend to be pressed or ironed to stay in shape, but the further they are from the waist, the looser they become. The hem of the skirt can show the pleats, but they'll be softer than at the waist. You can alter the hem if you prefer to have that pleated feeling, but if you choose to keep it round as in a regular skirt, no one will notice.

This is my attempt:

I tried to keep this short and easy, but if you need extra help, let me know ;)

EDIT: I found this from a Japanese book on how to draw clothes. It shows a close up on how to draw pleats on a sitting figure, that may give you an idea on how to shade or draw the skirt.
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,726.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Return to Rehearsals