Palette Contest Entry

Any pixel or tooled characters, made on a base or without.

Palette Contest Entry

Postby Elaitea » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Bonus Elf doll included as well :)

Anyway, my entry for StormNicki's palette contest:
My base, palettes of course by StormNicki.

Guys, I swear I spent several hours searching a base for this doll because I didn't want to go baseless, only to realise I have bases of my own, one of which was perfect for my idea <_< Anyway, I've pretty much always avoided palette contests because working with other people's palettes is hard. But for some reason, I decided to give this one a go. And came up with this. Whatever this is. I have a vague background story in my mind for her species, but eh...? Mostly, I just like dolling long dresses, so this is what I came up with XD I only used the colours provided in the palettes, managed to use colours from every palette and used 6 out of 8 palettes completely :)

And bonus Elf:
Baseless.

My character Aelerin i Takkei, aka Aelin, being annoyed by whatever is in the letter he's reading. He's kinda the equivalent of a Grim Reaper in this particular world. The letter probably mentions yet another case of idiot Elves getting themselves killed on another planet and retrieving their souls having failed, so he ends up having to negotiate with whoever is responsible for the afterlife there. Because the goddess of his world is a lazy idiot who wanted all the power and none of the responsibilities and it's not like he has other important stuff to do, right? He might be a tiny bit frustrated... XD
Last edited by Elaitea on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaitea
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 4,156.00
Dolling Style: Pixel

Re: Palette Contest Entry

Postby Artzygrrl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Love, love, love both of these! I think the decoration on the bodice of her dress is my favorite part of the contest doll. It's such a nice use of those palettes. The other one is really nice too, though! The light sourcing/shadows on it are believable, as if he's looking at something by candlelight or lamplight. The boot details are really lovely too, though I feel like maybe the feet seem a little small for someone of his stature. Otherwise, I like the "authentic" vibe from that one a lot!

Av Base
Image Image Image Image
- My Charm Bracelet -
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Artzygrrl
Editor
Editor

Diamonds on hand: 573.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby LadyNova » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:40 pm

They're beautiful. I love how you mixed cold and warm colours on the first one. She has a bit of a mage-ish feel to her. The second one is great as well, it's nice how you made him dark without being gloomy.
LadyNova
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 61.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Cell
Formerly: Eveli

Postby Blu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Ohhhh, that palette contest entry looks *amazing*! <3 I lovelove the dark blue outer dress...skirt...thing? <.< The shading on the whole doll is soo pretty. Good luck in the contest!! Hopefully I'll have time to enter ahaha.

The second doll is lovely as well. You do such nice shading and folds. ^_^ And wonderful palettes. :) I'm jelly of that dark skin tone palette, hahaha.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

we're all here

Blu
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 355.00
AKA: This says something different when you're not looking

Postby Elaitea » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Artzygrrl: Thank you! ^^ The bodice decoration is one of my favourite parts of the doll as well. It was just something that immediately worked out as I wanted it to. As for the other doll: I never intended to have candle/lamp light as a lightsource. He's just a dark skinned character with a fondness for dark clothes, but thanks anyway! I made his feet a bit larger. They were too small indeed :)

LadyNova: Thanks :D I'm glad the second one doesn't come off as gloomy: as a character he's anything but gloomy ^^

Blu: Thank you :D The dark blue outer dress was a lot of fun to shade, though it was a bit difficult getting the palette to work with my shading style ^^' Please do enter the contest! There's still plenty of time to make an entry :) As for the dark skin tone palette: I just tweaked the heck out of one of my many skin palettes that I once made for a portrait base several years ago (which reminds me that I should use that base once again as I still really like it...).
Elaitea
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 4,156.00

Return to Dolls