OMG Save Me!!

Looking for a tutorial or resources? Take a look-see in here first, and see if we’ve got one on file! =D

OMG Save Me!!

Postby Alsie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm

I've tried. I can't do it. :?

So I need a tutorial.

Does anybody know of any good glass tutorials? Like a glass drinking glass tutorial. With liquid in the glass if possible. For some reason when I look I keep coming up with glass orbs, which is soooo not helpful. I usually tool, but a pixel tutorial would be just fine.

Please help!
ImageImageImageImage
Journal Page at my Shop
Alsie
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 469.00
Dolling Style: Tool

Re: OMG Save Me!!

Postby Parker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Is it for a doll or a drawing of a glass? I've found a tutorial for Photoshop.

Since you mentioned pixel and tool I assume you'd be looking for something doll related. If that is the case, you can sketch the glass, fill it with a base colour (you may use the ones in that tutorial) and add the colour for the drink. Remember that glass is usually polished and looks shiny, use some pure white and add the shine to it according to your lightsource. If this is not clear enough I can try to provide some visual reference :D
Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,725.00

Postby Alsie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 pm

It's for a shop order actually. I need to put a glass of tea on a journal page someone ordered. Unfortunately I can't adapt the PS tutorial to what I am working with.
ImageImageImageImage
Journal Page at my Shop
Alsie
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Postby Parker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Ok, found the glass and this is what I came up with. Bear in mind that this is more of a painterly approach, but it still works with small pictures like your shop order.

Whenever you get stuck start by analysing the image and looking for the kind of details that make it interesting. Like we did with the red dress wip, take a closer look at the image and focus on details like the shape of the glass and how it interacts with the liquid inside of it.

Is there any ice? Ice will affect the colour of the area it occupies. Also, lightsource. It will affect both the glass and its contents. Notice how in the picture the lightsource is right in front of the glass, see those saturated parts at the centre of the glass? There will be shadows on the sides of the glass given that those are further from the lightsource. Finally, glasses are thicker at the bottom. There will be reflections in that area and you'll be able to see the inner shape of the glass which is round. Your reference is bigger so take your time checking all these areas.

If the image has a background, get it done now. You're working with glass which is transparent, trying to fix the background once you've finished the glass is a terrible idea. On a new layer (you tool so there shouldn't be a problem with this part) sketch the basic shape of the glass. Glasses of this kind are basically cylinders with a narrow base. The sketch is just a guideline so don't overdo it. Add the lines you need.

I suggest adding the colours on a new layer and then moving it under the sketch. That way you can mix and change the colours all you want without altering your lines. Build a rough gradient with a dark, rich brown at the bottom and a yellowish ocher at the top. I added some orange to the middle part so there's a smoother transition from one colour to the other.

You may keep the sketch on a separate layer or merge both the sketch and the colours. I dropped the opacity of my lines and merged it, that way it's more comfortable to work with it. But you may keep a copy of it hidden in case you mess up. You may now begin shading. I do that by setting the opacity of the brush to pen pressure that way I can blend colours easily.

I used a more saturated orange to shade the inside of the glass (you may pick random colours from the picture if you need it) Notice the U shape of the glass on the second step. Forget about the glass for now. It's transparent, which means we'll be able to see what's going on inside so we need to shade its contents first. Shade it as a cylinder and focus on getting the basic shapes right. Remember to shade the ice cubes as well!

Once the drink is shaded, move on to shading the glass. I used pure white; if your shop order is small, you can get away with it. Use a shadow and a highlight colour to bring out the shapes of the glass. Make sure to add that extra shine in the proper places like the brim and the bottom where those reflections we mentioned earlier are. Get their place right and then you can exaggerate them.

Since this last bit about how to shade the glass may be a bit tricky, here's a step by step with bigger images. I think it will be easier to appreciate the details here. Instead of working with a 11px brush you may work with a 1-2px one, but these steps should be enough for you to get started.

Parker
Director
Director

Diamonds on hand: 1,725.00

Postby Alsie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

OMG that is so helpful. And it's kinda funny cause that's actually the ref pic that I was given.

Thank you so much. I think I should be able to do this now.
ImageImageImageImage
Journal Page at my Shop
Alsie
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Return to Tutorials and Resources!