Glam...? Apple...?

Pixelated creations.

Moderator: Keke

Glam...? Apple...?

Postby Shixam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Copy pasta from dA:

I made an attempt to pixel a Glam Apple apple.

We'll consider this a possibly failed experiment, but I'm happy enough with it to submit it and I'm pretty sure this is the last day to do so, so we'll consider it done. Experiment complete, experience filed away for a future project maybe.

In future weeks I think I wanna go back to my plan of making vector logos, since the challenges seem pretty open. I actually have this idea of making them Glam themed too, but stronger than this apple. Like "Em's/Gina's/Samson's ________" I feel like it could be cool if I can come up with "business" and logo ideas.

My Charm Bracelet
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 14,837.00
AKA: Princess of Pink
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://aerieyena.deviantart.com/

Re: Glam...? Apple...?

Postby Dragyn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:17 pm

I'll be brutally honest, I'm not a fan of this apple =/ The idea was cute but you just had way too much trouble executing it.

I think if you had gone for something other than taking the Apple Logo and making it GLAM colored, it would have worked out better. Like maybe having done the starry sky as the fade or done a little city scape of the hollywood hills, still in the flat colors, it would have worked out better. The stripped colors were just... it makes it hard to even recognize it as an apple. I loved the idea of taking the Apple Logo and putting a twist on it because the logo is iconic and instantly recognizable. The colors just weren't working for you. (Totes GLAM's fault. I think only Hollay was ever able to really pull them off, you know?)

But like you said, it was an experiment, and maybe now for the next challenge, you'll see where to broaden your horizons.

As far as doing a vector entry - I'm not sure what vectors are. Let me check into that and let you know they're allowed before you do them.
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 371.00
AKA: Bree
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Shixam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:25 pm

Will do, Bree!

And now you give me the awesome idea for the apple :|

But nah, I totally agree with you. The theoretical plan in my mind did not work out in reality.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby midnightkitsune » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:22 am

I'll have to agree with Dragyn. You know sometimes you have those ideas that seem really brilliant in your head and then you try to actually do them and they just don't work out. But the experience of trying something new is good and hopefully you learn something from it.

I don't know about having them all be vector logos. I personally don't like vector pixel art and I feel like maybe that's too narrow of a theme to stick with. And I think you will run into some of the same problems that you had with this one. But it's your choice, do what you want to do!
midnightkitsune
Cast
Cast

Diamonds on hand: 131.00

Postby Pinstripe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm all for flat colors, and I'm all for simplicity. I think sometimes we in the pixel/doll community (or any art community, really) get used to seeing elaborately detailed or textured pieces and think that's the only way to go. Simple can be effective, although it can be hard not to get caught up in the feeling that it needs "more" just for the sake of having "more." Fight that impulse! :P

That being said, I'm not sure about your idea to do glam related logos. It seems like too many random concepts brought together, because you have glam+whatever the week's produce is+logo+vector. I just don't see the need for all those parameters, you know? And I think your pieces would be stronger if you came up with your own logo design rather than referencing an existing logo. Honestly, I think the idea of doing simple, flat graphics and having something related to the weekly theme is enough, without making it a logo or relating it to glam. I think it'd be helpful to look at which of these intentions is most important to you.
Dolls by AxxKat
dA//tumblr

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pinstripe
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 26.00

Postby Melaine » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm not really a fan is this apple. I like it and I don't, can't really put the word on it but as you said, it was an experiment and maybe you'll do something much much better than now. You never know until you try ;)
Melaine
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 5,233.00

Postby Shixam » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks, you guys. :)

If Bree says the vectors are cool, I'll probably stick with that idea. It's something I want to do because I don't really get a chance to play with Illustrator much for classes right now and I personally think it'd be good practice. I wasn't thinking specifically vector pixel art. Even if they aren't allowed for the event, I might still do it on my own for fun along with whatever I do for each week's challenge. And if they do go ahead with it, they wouldn't be pre-existing logos like this one was. I was planning to make them all original logos.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Postby aerieyena » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:55 pm

I like this apple in concept!
The execution is a little messy, though. I think what's throwing me off is that the line work looks a little jagged. It looks like some of the smoothness of your lines was lost when you did the anti-aliasing. I'd suggest that if you do another color blocking experiment like this one, to go a little lighter on the anti-aliasing. As nice as AAing can look, I think it's distracting from the simplicity of the design in this case.
Hope that helps some!
I own Atton Rand from KoTOR 2, Boy Blue from Fables, and Joker from Mass Effect. NO TOUCHY.
ImageImageImage
~ my request thread ~
aerieyena
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 1,233.00

Postby Dragyn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I... don't understand them, but they seem to be a digital graphic of some kind so I'll allow vectors.

Honestly, the idea wasn't terrible, but I think for your own piece of mind, maybe now that there is no time limit as the challenge is over, you should maybe revisit it in a little while (give yourself a break from it) and try it again.

Like, my base that I just made? Definitely needs work, and I totally hated hearing all of the faults with it, but once they were pointed out, I knew I had to fix them, and I will. Everything is a learning curve, so don't let all of the criticism on this particular piece get you down.

Zappy always says sometimes you have to start over to realize you were on the right path in the first place. The idea has potential, I think you were just caught up in trying to get it right. It could be anything from the size to the actual shape of the pixels. It could also just be the actual colors you used. I get the whole "wanting them to be glam colours" thing, but I learned a trick from Pyro years ago (that I've so forgotten on every pageant entry since until this moment) that if you tint both dolls with the same color, like a feint overlay, they blend and work together even if they're totally different colors. Perhaps if you tried doing that with the actual colors you used, like tinting each color a little purplish rather than doing a fade or aaing or that hard line, your original idea might work out a lot better!

Keep trying different ways and don't give up. No art form is ever perfect the first time we try out an idea. Lots of reworking takes place. Just remember that and keep trying!
Dragyn
Silver Screen Legend
Silver Screen Legend

Diamonds on hand: 371.00
AKA: Bree

Postby Shixam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:35 pm

Yeah, the best way I have of explaining them is a digital graphic that is able to stretched to almost any size (one of my teachers told us the limit but I forget exactly. It's something use like a billboard or the side of a building) without losing any quality.

If I do go back to this apple, I'll probably steal that skyline idea xD That was a good one.

My Charm Bracelet
Shixam
Super star
Super star

Return to Pixel Art