EM's Art Topic

Any other artwork made in a digital or traditional medium.

Moderator: Keke

EM's Art Topic

Postby ElfMaiden » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I do a lot more of other art than dolling these days, so I figured I might as well start up a topic for it. I'll just start with a decently representative sample, and then probably try and keep it updated.

I always welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. Although for most of these I'm not going to be fixing any problems, I might for some of them, and it's always very useful for future reference.

Traditional

Image]
I haven't done much drawing lately, and this is probably the latest drawing I actually still kind of like when I look at it. This is Turovinyë, who is an NPC from my MERP campaign.

This one's not too bad, and more recent. Same character, different scene.

This one was actually these year! It was an experiment, though, because I tend to think my drawing style might be a bit too harsh. Didn't quite work out, though. No character in particular, for once.

First watercolour that I think turned out decently. Turovinyë again.

This one's only a couple months old, and has less problems. Same character.

Likewise. No character in particular; I just realised I don't do enough sci-fi stuff, since I also like it.

Digital

Start of chapter illustration for a story my brother's working on.

End of chapter illustration for a story my brother's working on.

Start of chapter illustration for a story my brother's working on.

End of chapter illustration for a story my brother's working on.

Digital portrait experiment, for some things that I was to be doing. Turovinyë has been my default guinea pig the last few months.

Another in the same line of experimentation. This one is Rembrithil, another NPC from the same campaign.

The last in that line of experimentation. Back to Turovinyë.

Sort of steampunk Shakespeare thing I did for a game my mother's working on in her spare time.

First in a series of my family's favourite MERP characters. This one is Galdaewen, one of my characters from our first MERP game.

Second in that series. This is Luinor, one of my characters from our first MERP game.

Third in that series. This is Nadharja, one of my characters from our current MERP game.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 494.00
Dolling Style: Pixel
Avatar Base: http://bunnystick.com

Re: EM's Art Topic

Postby H|F » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Wow, I'm kind of speachless!

Your work is amazing
Heather | Age 25 | AV base by Kakuzu Chan
BASE
Want to see where I started?
Spoiler: show

Bases by Wayuki

All of these are bases from The Doll Palace

H|F
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 314.00
AKA: The Black Sheep

Postby 4br4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Holy moly dude, amazing work here.
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Diamonds on hand: 9,524.00
Formerly: Sweet Raspberry Tea

Postby ElfMaiden » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you, both of you!

Some new stuff... (all of this batch digital)

Fourth in the series of MERP characters. This is Linwë, one of my mom's characters from our first game.

Fifth in that series. This is Fëaloké, one of my mom's characters from our first game.

Sixth in that series. This is Linariel, one of my mom's characters from our current game.

Now I've only my brother's characters to do, which shall be more difficult because he didn't draw much before the last couple of years, so I'll have to run completely on descriptions for all but the third of his. Something I should get used to, anyhow.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Chrissy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 am

Wow! Your work is beautiful! You capture the spirit of Tolkien's world so beautifully. I knew what you were depicting before even reading the captions, which just shows that I love it too xD

Just a question, what do you use for your digital work? A tablet?
Chrissy
Supporting Role
Supporting Role

Diamonds on hand: 18.00

Postby Keke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 am

All of this is gorgeous. I love how you are able to get so much detail with black/white/grey.
Keke
Producer
Producer

Diamonds on hand: 1,437.00
AKA: The Argyle Queen
Dolling Style: Tool

Postby ElfMaiden » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 am

Chrissy - Thank you, that's a great compliment to me! I use a tablet (a Wacom Intuos 3, if you're curious about specifics). I've been using it for about ten years now, and it's been quite reliable. I did a little bit of dolling with my trackball when I first started, for about a year, but I never tried any sort of digital painting or drawing before I had the tablet. I've just done everything art-related on the computer with it since I got it.

Keke - Thanks! I tend to think in greyscale terms even with colour to begin with, actually. It just has always seemed easier to me.

A few new things (all traditional this time)...

ImageImageImage

Some quick sketches of my newest D&D characters. Left to right: Kasrimeniax (battle dragon in human form), Myreschiriex (Tarterian dragon in human form), and Baélthûr Îritheska del Toriannyr (leShay).

One more new D&D character, Reveshmiel (celestial). I was sketching these in the margins of the page I was scrawling down their temporary stats on, so I ran out of room a bit.

Dinosaur riders shooting at spaceships. This one was kind of random, and I was just going to sketch it out, but I had lots of time today and have been trying to do more painting, so I painted it instead (watercolour, because I still don't have a good space set up to get back to oils).
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Tracibobs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 am

Beyond words love them all u have a true talent
Tracibobs
Extra
Extra

Diamonds on hand: 231.00
Dolling Style: Tool, Pixel and Cell

Postby ElfMaiden » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Thank you! :D

I've a few more sketches again (not quite new, but only recently scanned, and done while waiting backstage at the last show)...

The main cast from a story I've been working on off and on for quite some time.

One of the villains of that story.

The two protagonists.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby MelianAlcarime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 pm

I am completely in love with your work, and not just because it's deeply rooted in my favorite man's work (though that certainly helps). Your work is actually quite inspiring to me, someone who has been slowly been trying to make my way into art for almost 9 years now (started with dolling >.>... that gave me some rather terrible handicaps when I tried to do paintings). I just.. can't get over your mastery of all these different techniques and mediums, even the different digital mediums. There's also much energy and emotion present in your work. I'm just... blown away.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MelianAlcarime
Celebrity
Celebrity

Diamonds on hand: 1,001.00

Postby 4br4 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am

You have an excellent grasp of anatomy, I mean dayum. The faces you do are absolutely perfect as well. The way you add texture with pencil is like spot-on. : o
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Postby ElfMaiden » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Thank you both very much! I sort of disappeared there for a while; got too busy with theatre and dealing with work stuff.

MelianAlcarime -- Dolling actually helped me quite a lot with painting, oddly enough. I think it's because before I started dolling I had only ever done pencil, all black and white, so it helped me think about and get used to colour. And again, thank you!

Sweet Raspberry Tea -- I've been trying to improve my anatomy for some time now, so I'm glad that's starting to work! I've been doing pencil stuff the longest, so it comes easiest to me, I think. Again, thanks!

More stuff...

Digital

Finishing off the series of MERP characters, this is Eldrane, one of my brother's characters from our first game.

Second to last in that series, this is Fyldor, one of my brother's characters from our first game.

Last in that series, this is Anadäel, one of my brother's characters from our current game.

I was trying to work on my MERP campaign, but I started painting one of my NPCs instead (Turovinyë), so I suppose it's at least somewhat related.

Traditional

This is an oil painting I actually did about a year ago, but I hadn't got around to photographing it until recently. Turovinyë again, because my NPCs are my default guinea pigs for art. I can't wait to finally get the studio area set up so I can start doing oils again; that's really my favourite way to do art.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby ElfMaiden » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 pm

I haven't been dolling much lately, but I have done a good deal of art! All traditional this time. I've come to the conclusion that, while digital stuff can be fun, it mostly takes me far more time than traditional and at times seems frustratingly counter-intuitive, so I'm working mostly on traditional illustrations, in particular pen and ink.

My first attempt at this style, featuring some characters from a story I'm working on. The one in front is Meinrad, and the others shall remain mysterious for now.

Second attempt, again from the same story. The character in question is Burchard, although he'll later be known by a different name (and not be at all visually recognisable, for that matter).

First attempt with a finer set of pens. Turovinyë gets to play guinea pig again; based off an older digital work I did of him, facially speaking.

Just having some fun with some random sci-fi stuff here. No particular characters or anything. I should do more of this. It's fun.

Below spoilered for: blood, death, possible disturbing subject matter
Spoiler: show
Turovinyë and Calanárë after Tintariel threw herself from the bridge, with Runyatári appearing to comfort Calanárë. This one's got some definite problems.

Turovinyë begins to notice strange goings-on in the castle.

Back to story characters, as I've been working on the outline and all. Kelsey's first brush with the supernatural. Meinrad is not surprised.

Kelsey contemplates her destiny.

And now for something largely different -- Lemmings. Lem'ka is an old character I had many, many, years ago, when I was first playing Lemmings. Once I started playing again, I figured I might as well draw her again.

Brool Snakeheart enjoys his tea while keeping an eye on Kelsey and Meinrad's movements.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby 4br4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Beautiful work! I love how you use pen, it always looks really cool. vuv And the backgrounds are awesome!! Seriously they look really cool! : D
4br4
Gaffer
Gaffer

Postby ElfMaiden » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Thank you! Backgrounds have been something that I've struggled with for a very long time, so I'm really glad to see you say that! I've been paying particular intention to improving them recently.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Postby Krahka » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:50 pm

When we were young and we were both in theater, I'd watch you draw and think you were the best artist I knew, and that you could never possibly get even better, because you were already the best.

You are still the best damn artist I know, but you've gotten even better than I ever imagined.
Krahka
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 27.00
AKA: Sahrot Kulaas Se Dov
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby Mogget » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 am

truly outstanding stuff you have here! O_O
my absolute fave though had to be the dinosaur space battle its beyond words
Mogget
Super star
Super star

Diamonds on hand: 19,517.00
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Postby ElfMaiden » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Krahka wrote:When we were young and we were both in theater, I'd watch you draw and think you were the best artist I knew, and that you could never possibly get even better, because you were already the best.

You are still the best damn artist I know, but you've gotten even better than I ever imagined.

Thank you, very much! I'm afraid I've never known much what to say in return for such great compliments, but I definitely appreciate it. You were always one of the few people who I didn't mind watching me draw back then.

Mogget wrote:truly outstanding stuff you have here! O_O
my absolute fave though had to be the dinosaur space battle its beyond words

Thanks! That was a fun one to do. I've always loved dinosaurs, but I don't usually have an excuse to work them into art.
ElfMaiden
Celebrity
Celebrity

Return to Digital and Traditional Art