MDE...Risky Business

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

~Sam
Super star
Super star
AKA: A Boondoggle Keychain
Dolling Style: Pixel

MDE...Risky Business

Post by ~Sam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:13 pm

So I normally don't post WIPs or ask for help because I have criticism anxiety and I don't want anyone to point out how wonky my anatomy is, but I have a goal for MDE this year...

A goal which may or may not be achieved... (maybe this post will be incentive)

I'm trying to pixel. It's been YEARS. :shock:

Edit:

I FINISHED!!

(Baseless)

Previous WIPS:
Spoiler: show
Last edited by ~Sam on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Sam is not amused.
DA

buttons
Super star
Super star
Dolling Style: Tool and Pixel

Re: MDE...Risky Business

Post by buttons » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 am

I just wanted to say that I actually lurve the portrait face... the eyelids are a little scary but, otherwise, I think she's pretty gorgeous! I'm afraid I am not much help with shading, though. Shading is hard.

LtSheesha
Extra
Extra

Post by LtSheesha » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:37 am

No critique right now (I'll get back to you once you've done some shading?), but this is looking too big for the size requirements (350x350)

Gwen
Director
Director
AKA: King of Leopard Print ♕
Formerly: Blackfyre

Post by Gwen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:39 am

omg Sam THIS IS CUTE DON'T BE AFRAID
I love it so far ♥ That poofy fro, that fancy necklace (tattoo?) work! Sheesha is right though, it is above the size limit. But that's an easy fix.
And that purse is great so far.
ImageImageImage
♂ & ♏
Tumblr || Steam || Pinterest || Deviantart
Dolling siblings are forever xCassx and H|F ♥

~Sam
Super star
Super star

Post by ~Sam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 pm

LtSheesha wrote:but this is looking too big for the size requirements (350x350)
Ha, I totally mixed up the sizes from MMP and MDE. Welp, hopefully smaller means easier to shade... ;)
Sam is not amused.
DA

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Post by Phoenigette » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Pixeling is misery on huge bases XD
Spoiler: show
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

~Sam
Super star
Super star

Post by ~Sam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Fixed the size (and cleaned up the lines a little)

EDIT:

Changed the composition around a bit, added some placeholder text, started shading.

Sam is not amused.
DA

batgirl
Producer
Producer
AKA: Quoth The Batty
Avatar Base: dnya.deviantart.com

Post by batgirl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 pm

just keep going, trust your instincts! you are doing fabulous so far! There are lots of different ways to do afros, I think The H word did some? but those are very perfect tight curls, not sure if that is what you are going for.
by Mokia

~Sam
Super star
Super star

Post by ~Sam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:49 am

Went for it:

:bob:
Sam is not amused.
DA

buttons
Super star
Super star

Post by buttons » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 am

Holy moses. She's glorious!

Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in

Post by Alissa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 am

She already looks great (and fabulous), so I don't have a lot to say in the way of CC. One thing I'd like to point out is that the face on the fullbody seems a bit lopsided; I see that her head is supposed to be tilted, but the nose is perfectly straight, but that's just a minor thing. The legs could also use a bit more definition, something like what you're doing with the arms. But anyway, I love the pose of the portrait; it's so relaxed and actually shows her personality, instead of just being a headshot. Can't wait to see the finished version.

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Parker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:17 pm

I must say what catches my eye is the shoes. I love the design, but I think the shape needs some tweaking. Unless I'm mistaken and these are shoes have some unusual shape, they lack some basic structure. I put this little guide together a while back and I think the very first steps will help you shape her feet better.

Different kinds of shoes will have different characteristics: some will have a sharper tip, thicker heels or platforms, but the basic structure for them will always be similar. If you take a look at the image above and compare it to your shoes, you'll see that your shoes have very straight lines on the two main curves they would have: the arch of the foot that connects to the heel, and the arch on top of the foot.

I think most of the problem lies on how the feet are positioned: they seem to be pointing at each other, where we should get a 3/4 view of both of them. I've looked up some references, and they may help you:

ImageImageImage

Since all shoes are made to suit a foot, and all feet consist of pretty much the same parts and are arranged similarly, most shoes tend to have a very basic shape that is capable of accomodating any foot. I've picked two images from the internet and scribbled over them. Let's pretend that's allowed for the sake of this post:

The point of this image is to show you two different kinds of shoes and how their basic shapes are the same. The areas surrounding the heels are usually stiffer to make sure the shoe can hold the foot inside of it safely and avoid falling over and breaking your bones in the process. The areas surrounding the fingers are strengthened as well for the same reason. And the heels are used to enhance the foot's natural curve and make feet slender and more appealing in general. It also has a sole so it's easier to keep the body's weigh on top of such a small surface.

If we take all we've learnt about shoes here and take it to your doll, we can now turn her feet slightly outward and we also have a very basic starting point for the shading.

The first pair of legs shows how I would fix the feet's pose and next to it, you have a basic sketch of the shoes. How to get to this stage is explained in my first thumbnail. The two pairs of yellow shoes next to them show you how I would shade them in terms of their structure. And the one with flats and green lines are just there to match the previous thumbnail. I'm showing you the main areas of the shoe that will shape the general look of her feet.

~Sam
Super star
Super star

Post by ~Sam » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Finished!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help, everyone! Parker, thank you so much for helping with the shoes, looking back now and seeing how strange they looked... :shock:
Sam is not amused.
DA

Return to “Rehearsals”