MDE Latvia

Any work that is incomplete, and needs a little critique to improve!

Moderator: Phoenigette

Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in
Dolling Style: Pixel

MDE Latvia

Post by Alissa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:39 am

Edited for Round 2. There's a more rambly post down below, but this is just the doll (along with R1 for comparison).

ImageImage

Previously:
Spoiler: show
As it turns out, it's not very interesting - or motivating - to doll by yourself. So here I am, a self-professed dolling hermit looking for a bit of advice. I haven't made much progress in the two weeks and a bit since I've started: first I managed to get sick of her face and then I was busy with exams so there wasn't much progress. But I'm thinking that I actually want to finish this year... so any and all CC would be very welcome. Feel free to be as critical as you'd like, draw on her, whatever - I'm always looking to improve, and I'll be very grateful.

What's going on with the portrait: the cardigan is going to be made of lace, semitransparent, which is going to be a bit tricky, but i hope it'll be fine. The fullbody is far from finished; I've got the base for the dress but everything else is up in the air, and I'll be adding some frills to the dress to make it more interesting, which it currently, well, isn't. I haven't properly dolled in over a year so I'm very rusty and every time I come back I seem to have a new technique so I can't really draw from past experience... In any case, thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

All baseless.
Last edited by Alissa on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

LtSheesha
Extra
Extra

Re: MDE Latvia

Post by LtSheesha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:37 am

Firstly, I love how you've shaded the hair. Lovely.

The first thing the strikes me is that her mouth is uneven, and I think she needs a bigger smile to move the rest of her face so dramatically. Smiling also pulls skin up from the jawline, bringing it to a sharper chin point, and she currently has a very square jawline, which doesn't line up her her face; the point needs to move slightly to the left.

On the fullbody, everything is looking good so far, but the folds around her crotch look a bit off; that's a weird spot to put the loose fabric (I think higher up, more around the waist/hipline would be more natural), especially in contrast to how tight the fabric is all around those folds.

Parker
Director
Director
Dolling Style: Tool

Post by Parker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 pm

The first thing I noticed about the portrait is that the head and the body don't match: they're facing in different directions and the pose looks too forced. If this were my entry, I would flip the body horizontally so it looks more natural. I also think the head is a bit too big for her body. The length looks right, but her shoulders look too narrow, try adding a couple of pixels to each side and see if that fixes it.

I like the look of the full body so far. I agree with Seesha on the folds. If it's a very tight dress, there would be folds on the areas where the fabric is too stretched, like around the breast or hips, but they would be smaller and not so obvious as you have them here. If it's a tight mini dress, I think the shading would follow the volumes of her body and the folds wouldn't have such deep shadows. I would block the basic shapes of her body with the first two shades and then add some small folds to show that the fabric is stretched with a lighter shade.

I tried scribbling over your doll so you could see what I mean and see if you'd like to try it. Here it is:

While shading it, I noticed that her breasts seemed to be off-centre. So I drew a line from the point between her clavicles and following her sternum that would point to where the center of her body is. That's what that blue line is doing there.

I've also googled "tight mini dress" and got some interesting results which may help you understand how folds work for this kind of clothes. A tight spandex dress with stretched fabric. A second dress. I'm not sure about the material, but the folds are more subtle, and may be what you're looking for. A third dress tailored to have some wrinkles that make it more interesting. This one would let you bury those folds if they refuse to cooperate.

Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in

Post by Alissa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:56 am

So, take two. A bit delayed, since I've had a busy two-ish weeks, but I think (or hope) I can still finish it on time. The MDE site seems to be down so I can't check the dates, but I think the reservations have expired already. If it's necessary, I suppose I'll just change her name and try to put her in as another country...

Thank you so much for the advice. (: I've left the fullbody alone for now because I think I'm going to be adding a jacket or a poncho, or even redraw the dress altogether.

LtSheesha: I've tried to apply your suggestions to the portrait; I've widened her mouth and smoothed out her jawline a little bit, and also moved the lower half of her face one pixel up and I think her expression looks more natural now.

Parker: I didn't really want to flip the body of the portrait, because I had the idea from the start that she'd be kind of standing towards the side and turning her head a bit. However, I've tried to make some changes, and I think my newest version looks a bit better than before, but still a little awkward - I'll try to do something about that, if I can.
I'd also like to thank you for the references; while drawing the dress I just kind of made it up as I went, so I wasn't exactly sure what kind of material I was thinking of. Refs are always helpful :D Like I said before, I haven't done much with the fullbody yet (other than giving her a head and a pair of shoes), but I'll keep everything you've said in mind.

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Post by Phoenigette » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Oooh, is the site still being weird for you? Reservations expired on the 20th, but I still think you can finish before R1 deadline! You're making so much excellent progress. My only comment is that her fb hair is a little bit confusing. I think it's up in a bun type fandangle, but it's difficult to tell. If her portrait hair wasn't longer I would think it was down, so clarifying what's going on would help. I would remove the strand of hair behind her head on top of the bun, and give her bun a little bit more volume horizontally.
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in

Post by Alissa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:03 am

ImageImage
Baseless, referenced from posemaniacs.com (newer, flipped version on the right.)

She's back! We'll just say I was more than surprised to see that I scored a place in the top ten, not to mention that I managed to get the award for best fullbody, which I didn't expect at all - because there were just that many good entries. So now, the lingerie round.

Our lingerie has to be inspired by a local dessert. At first I was looking at some cakes and pastries, which looked nice and delicious but not all that interesting. So, in the end, I had to settle on the obvious choice: debesmanna, which is cranberry mousse made from semolina. And then I was left to wonder how to design a set of lingerie from this.

Sheer, airy, and lacy things came to mind, but I was kind of over that after the first round, though she'll still be wearing stockings. She's got a bustier, and the body is supposed to represent the swirly mousse, while the edge is lined with rhinestones that are supposed to look like the actual cranberries. Still not sure what I'll do for the underpants, but I'm trying to stay away from frills and lace, so maybe it'll be made of... leather? For now, though, I'm mainly looking for critique on the anatomy.

Parker
Director
Director

Post by Parker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:08 pm

I think the proportions are okay. I love how lean she looks! The only thing that I'd change is her feet. Maybe it's still a WIP, but judging by the position of her toes, they seem to be tilted inwards and that ruins her balance. If she were resting most of her weight on one foot, then you could have the other one tilted or hovering over the ground; but since her weight seems to be equally distributed between the two feet, it doesn't make much sense to have them posed like that. Try adding a straight line where the bottom of her feet would rest against the ground, it will help you pose the feet much more easily.

Alissa
Stand-in
Stand-in

Post by Alissa » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment (: I'm glad you noticed that, and I was actually a bit disappointed that I had to cover her up with stockings. Maybe I should get into basemaking.

So now she's at the point where I can get away with calling her finished, even though she isn't, really, because I still want to give her shoes and a bit more jewelry for her arms. Not sure if the lingerie design really works, because it's not really something you'd wear in the bedroom, but I guess it'll do for a fashion pageant thing. That's a cranberry flower in her hair, but as I was pixelling it I temporarily forgot that it was supposed to be that, so I ended up drawing a generic flower (I don't know how that happened)

Phoenigette
Producer
Producer
AKA: Batty's Slave

Post by Phoenigette » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:35 am

That's totally lingerie, it counts. The tights look great :)
Image Image
Thanks Gwen ;)
Bang, baby!

Parker
Director
Director

Post by Parker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

You totally should make some bases, it's fun and we all love some new goodies to play with.

I love your design! I'm guilty of pushing the boundaries of lingerie a bit too far next year with my entry, so I appreciate you doing that too :p It looks like lingerie, but even more elaborate. I'm amazed at how you've managed to make such a delicate design starting with a fruit mousse.

Return to “Rehearsals”